The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

I will be severely choked if we lost Gudbranson in trade or FA.  He is too valuable to let go, he brings elements that analytics cannot measure.  

I really like what he brings on and off the ice.  His presence is going to be huge for the young players moving forward.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

I could see Ottawa making a play for Guddy at the deadline/offseason. They are in win-now mode and he's a local boy too. Do they have any more Dahlen's hiding in their system?

hopefully we'd get more than a Dahlen for Guddy if he is traded. Hope to hell it won't happen, as it'll be back to open season on all our players.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, spook007 said:

hopefully we'd get more than a Dahlen for Guddy if he is traded. Hope to hell it won't happen, as it'll be back to open season on all our players.

Pretty much. Players like McEwen, Gadjovich and others are coming down the prospect pipeline and will play with an edge, but they're years away, and should come into a team with some players already holding the mantle of a standup guy. Right now, that is Gudbranson's, and he does it well.

Without Gudbranson, the Oilers, Flames, Kings, Ducks, Sharks, and Knights will muscle their way into the Canucks zone and set up shop, free to fire at will, just like they did in the years following 2011.

It would be a colossal error to trade Gudbranson, if he shows interest in signing here.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yes I do.

Same here. I think that Green wanted Gudbranson playing his game closer to Markstrom, especially with Pittsburgh, seeing as how they excel at making plays in tight, and how Malkin uses his size against smaller defensive units. Green's idea paid off as Malkin had his ass handed to him a few times by Guddy, and was held to only 2-3 shots if I'm not mistaken.

I do think Green wants to see more offense from Gudbranson, as does a lot of the team. He's loved in the room, as evident by how they (and the crowd) cheered him after leaving the box post fighting Wilson during the game against the Capitals.

Malkin is a cheapshot artist man, every Pens game I've watched he's pulling dirty crap. He did a great job shutting him down, so maybe it was part of Green's tight checking game, which actually brings me to the point of impressive Green has been with matchups. Phenomenal...

Hopefully Guddy can pick up some swagger going forward and carry the puck more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Malkin is a cheapshot artist man, every Pens game I've watched he's pulling dirty crap. He did a great job shutting him down, so maybe it was part of Green's tight checking game, which actually brings me to the point of impressive Green has been with matchups. Phenomenal...

He's a scumbag for sure. Gudbranson essentially neutralized him and got him worked up. but somehow the anal-it-ticks crew completely ignores how essential Gudbranson was in shutting down one of the preeminent power forwards on one of the best teams in the league. I guess it doesn't fit there narrative, and these types are never ones to admit fault at all.

Green is an excellent coach at the NHL level already, with less than 20 games to his name at the NHL level. He's just going to get better and better.

2 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Hopefully Guddy can pick up some swagger going forward and carry the puck more.

I think that's what Green wants all the defensemen to do.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He's a scumbag for sure. Gudbranson essentially neutralized him and got him worked up. but somehow the anal-it-ticks crew completely ignores how essential Gudbranson was in shutting down one of the preeminent power forwards on one of the best teams in the league. I guess it doesn't fit there narrative, and these types are never ones to admit fault at all.

Green is an excellent coach at the NHL level already, with less than 20 games to his name at the NHL level. He's just going to get better and better.

I think that's what Green wants all the defensemen to do.

Could not agree with you more Phillip

But  I will say this, even if Gud isn't a point producer.......he contributes in other very important ways, just like you said

I would be some pssst off, if he was traded if we didn't get exactly what we gave...........1st, 2nd and a 4th.............to Florida. I want more!

Not all people get what Gud is doing..............but Luongo's voice should echo loud!............

I would bet Gud enjoys games against the Malkin's of the world.......I would also bet the Malkin's do not!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Could not agree with you more Phillip

But  I will say this, even if Gud isn't a point producer.......he contributes in other very important ways, just like you said

I would be some pssst off, if he was traded if we didn't get exactly what we gave...........1st, 2nd and a 4th.............to Florida. I want more!

Not all people get what Gud is doing..............but Luongo's voice should echo loud!............

I would bet Gud enjoys games against the Malkin's of the world.......I would also bet the Malkin's do not!

Totally. And Willie Mitchell's voice as well. I truly hope that this season will continue to be a successful one and that Gudbranson has interest in re-signing with the Canucks. 

He fits into his role here perfectly and adds such power to the lineup, that it can't be ignored. 

How Benning handles Gudbranson will truly be indicative of how this team will fare going forward. 

By the way, I hope your wife is doing well with the healing from surgery. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Totally. And Willie Mitchell's voice as well. I truly hope that this season will continue to be a successful one and that Gudbranson has interest in re-signing with the Canucks. 

He fits into his role here perfectly and adds such power to the lineup, that it can't be ignored. 

How Benning handles Gudbranson will truly be indicative of how this team will fare going forward. 

Your mentioning "handling" a player will play in that player's future with our team is making me think about Tryamkin. :sadno:

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

I don’t want him to be traded either as I believe he is exactly the type of defenceman we need, BUT if he is not going to re-sign we cannot lose him for nothing. My hope is that we can sign him to an extension Jan.1st. 

That's the kicker. It's all in Erik's court. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I like Gudbranson but he was below average tonight. Not terrible but he's been better.

Here's hoping he puts out a better performance next game.

I barely noticed him out there.  Much more effective in the last couple games.  Brandon Gaunce caught my eye.  Wish he was just a smidge faster.  Loved his physically tho.  He did way more then guddy in terms of truculence.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

I barely noticed him out there.  Much more effective in the last couple games.  Brandon Gaunce caught my eye.  Wish he was just a smidge faster.  Loved his physically tho.  He did way more then guddy in terms of truculence.

Gudbranson struggled with the puck more so this game. Had a few giveaways, nothing brutal but he's been better. He also got caught out of position a tad bit too much for my liking in his own zone.

Again he wasn't awful or was our worst defenseman tonight. Just had an off night in my eyes.

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Gudbranson struggled with the puck more so this game. Had a few giveaways, nothing brutal but he's been better. He also got caught out of position a tad bit too much for my liking in his own zone.

Again he wasn't awful or was our worst defenseman tonight. Just had an off night in my eyes.

Definitely wasn't Guddy's best game. Nor Tanev's. And definitely not Hutton's. That being said, players will go through, as we all know, dips in performance

I thought the first half of the game, Hutton looked like an AHLer, showing zero confidence and being generally sloppy and panicked with the puck. In the third, he seemed to have found some extra gear and cleaned up his play. I think all three defensemen had a productive third period, making up for lackluster performances in the first two.

In the end, the team won because others picked up the slack for those who underperformed. That seems to be a solid factor in the play of the Canucks this season. A true team game, where players can lean on each other to make things happen. It's great to have "elite" talent, but if there is little to no team chemistry, that talent is wasted......cough Edmonton cough.

I love how the numbers have gone against Gudbranson in the analytics department, and having the media stir up speculation of complete BS trying to shake the bed.

Gudbranson if anything has shown these past 14 games, he won't do anything flashy period.  its not his game, but when you don't notice him, thats exactly what he is doing everything right in.  He is being physical in front of his net, clearing the front, making simple outlet passes and pucks off the boards and out.

Yeah he could be better, but you can see Erik is doing far better under Green's system than in WD's that was far passive and stagnant.  What I have seen is Gudbranson stand up for his teammates, willing to take the brunt of the physical punishing whether dishing out hits, taking the hits, etc.  If anything this has brought all that attention on him, if you haven't noticed, teams are trying to take runs at him, but they are so busy trying to run him, that it has opened up space for Del Zotto etc to jump into the play or find that seam pass up the middle to a quick breakout.  Not to mention his scariness is keeping the opposition honest.  Every team needs that, and Guddy provides that.  I love how he plays.  Yeah isn't pretty, but IMO we will be far more sorry walking away from him over than keeping him.

Not only that, he has shown he has been a key cog on the PK, especially without Edler around the past few weeks.  Make the role obvious for Guddy and he will embrace it.

Even if the Canucks do decide to move Guddy, they cannot trade him for anything less than what he already brings.  The only players that remotely play the same punishing style is Mackenzie Stewart and Anton Cederholm, and neither one looks like they will step in the NHL, let alone the AHL.  The moment he goes, just watch teams run right through us just like in the past.

There is room for those kind of stay at home brusiers still in this league.  Anaheim's Josh Manson, Leafs Roman Polak, Florida's Alex Petrovic, Buffalo's Zack Bogosian (whom i think is most comparable to what Gudbranson will get in salary), San Jose's Brendan Dillion, Vegas' Deryk Engelland etc.

Gudbranson tops them all IMO.  

• Like 1

Funny to see some of the viewpoint of Gudbransson.

I sometimes wonder what people expect for player of that size... 

If he had been a mistake free PMD, he would have been a freeking Shea Weber costing 10mill+

Gudbransson is a steady defender, nothing flashy, who has size and knows how to use it... we've been needing a big body, who can clear the crease, for years on our back end.

Basically since a younger version of Bieksa.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Funny to see some of the viewpoint of Gudbransson.

I sometimes wonder what people expect for player of that size... 

If he had been a mistake free PMD, he would have been a freeking Shea Weber costing 10mill+

Gudbransson is a steady defender, nothing flashy, who has size and knows how to use it... we've been needing a big body, who can clear the crease, for years on our back end.

Basically since a younger version of Bieksa.

Though keep in mind, Bieksa surpassed the 40-point mark three times in his career.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, -AJ- said:

Though keep in mind, Bieksa surpassed the 40-point mark three times in his career.

Good call...

I do fancy Gudbransson to make more points as we get better, but doubt it'll be anything like Bieksas out put.

If he could add a few more points to his account he'd be a belter...