The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Laughing at you for pretending that you thought that you knew this :sadno:

Even Hutton himself admitted that he had no idea.

I knew afer watching preseason. After everything he showed in preseason, people still wanted to send him down. That's what I was pointing out.

I knew afer watching preseason. After everything he showed in preseason, people still wanted to send him down. That's what I was pointing out.

In fairness, that sentiment seemed to melt away more and more after each game. Myself included (and I was high on Hutton before the preseason).

He quite simply continued to get better each game and went from making it hard to send him down, to pretty much impossible.

Sentiment largely went from: 'he looks good but we don't want to risk losing Corrado'. To: 'Corrado who?'

Edited by J.R.

As SID and I discussed elsewhere...

Yeah JR, makes sense. We all wish Sbisa was a bit more defensively responsible. It seems he panics and hands the puck over instead of staying calm and eating the puck or making a safer play. I really liked Bart with Hammer so lets see how the Hutton Sbisa pairing rolls for a few games.

Yeah JR, makes sense. We all wish Sbisa was a bit more defensively responsible. It seems he panics and hands the puck over instead of staying calm and eating the puck or making a safer play. I really liked Bart with Hammer so lets see how the Hutton Sbisa pairing rolls for a few games.

He just needs to let the coaching get through to him IMO. That give away last night was the prime example of him trying to do too much/not keeping it simple. If anyone can get through to him, it should be Lidster.

If he can play a simple, physical game with Hutton, he's going to look REALLY good IMO. Make simple plays, use his speed/physicality and get the puck to Hutton.

CDC's going to be all: "Wow, where'd THIS Sbisa come from? Benning was right all along!"

• Upvote 4

LOL to all those arm chair gms that said Hutton should stay in the ahl.

Not that I said that because frankly I didn't know much about Hutton, but in fairness to those who did I don't think anyone expected what we got in Hutton. Not even mgmt expected this. It's still early and lets see where we are in 10 or 20 games but it seems we've found a gem in the rough. Over the dog days of summer we were dreaming of a day we draft a young future 1D who can skate, and move the puck + QB the PP. I'm not sure anyone thought we already had one. We've needed this type of player for a long long time. I'm trying to stay even keel but it's tough not to get excited with this guy. All that plus 6'3? pinch me...

• Upvote 2

He just needs to let the coaching get through to him IMO. That give away last night was the prime example of him trying to do too much/not keeping it simple. If anyone can get through to him, it should be Lidster.

If he can play a simple, physical game with Hutton, he's going to look REALLY good IMO. Make simple plays, use his speed/physicality and get the puck to Hutton.

CDC's going to be all: "Wow, where'd THIS Sbisa come from? Benning was right all along!"

Totally agree Sbisa could be that guy. He totally could. With that give away last night I swear I saw it coming 2 seconds before he handed it over. He could have turned back and fired it around the boards. Or be harder on the puck if was going to make the same play he did. Just simple stuff nothing he can't handle.

Right now I don't care if this unit makes a mistake once in a while. It's part of the process. Every D pairing makes mistakes particularly the 3rd pairing. I just wish Hutton doesn't get over coached and his natural skill doesn't get suppressed in the process. Just let him play the game as it comes to him and let him develop the skills everyone fell in love with him for.