The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

19 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Wow. You don't think that maybe the reason he has occasionally looked like he's a bit over his head is that due to injuries he's been playing 25-30 minutes per game instead of the 18-20 minutes per game he should be playing? And your solution is to healthy scratch him? Thanks for sharing that. I'm not even going to ask who you think should have had his ice time.

We're holding this thing together with popsicle sticks and bubble gum...let's scratch one of the strongest popsicle sticks left standing :lol:

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2019 at 11:54 AM, aGENT said:

I could get crucified for this...but would it be the worst if we sold high on him...?

no, not the worst. Depends on how Hughes looks, and of course if Edler re-ups. Which I'm not convinced that he will tbh. If Jimbo (correctly imo) doesn't bend on a NMC then maybe we see a left side of Hutty, Hughes and some other veteran free agent? 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no, not the worst. Depends on how Hughes looks, and of course if Edler re-ups. Which I'm not convinced that he will tbh. If Jimbo (correctly imo) doesn't bend on a NMC then maybe we see a left side of Hutty, Hughes and some other veteran free agent? 

He can have an NMC....so long as it's only for 2 years :lol: I think Edler's back personally, but time will tell.

Assuming he is back, I'd not be shocked to see us sign a bottom for UFA to compete with Hughes, Juolevi, Brisebois and Sautner for the remaining three left D spots (2nd pair, 3 pair and spare).

Then (depending on who we nab at the draft), perhaps we package Hutton + for that elusive top 6 LW or perhaps picks or....

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He can have an NMC....so long as it's only for 2 years :lol: I think Edler's back personally, but time will tell.

Assuming he is back, I'd not be shocked to see us sign a bottom for UFA to compete with Hughes, Juolevi, Brisebois and Sautner for the remaining three left D spots (2nd pair, 3 pair and spare).

Then (depending on who we nab at the draft), perhaps we package Hutton + for that elusive top 6 LW or perhaps picks or....

yeah draft position will certainly play into things, not so much on the d since there really isn't a guy that can step into the NHL. 

its going to be an interesting off season potentially... there could be a lot of turnover if Jimbo can move guys at the draft. Or nothing happens. 

Here is what I think about Hutton and the other LD

We have Edler

the if we don't have Huddy

we have Rookie, Rookie, Rookie as our 2nd pairing, if Hughes can't swing it his first year

Then we look like we did when poor DiPietro had to play a game, when he should not have

Except now it is on Defense

• Upvote 1

With the progress Hutton has made this year I don't see him being moved or if he is not until the TDL next year. Some fans are putting great expectations on Hughes and Joulevi next year which is way to aggressive.  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here is what I think about Hutton and the other LD

We have Edler

the if we don't have Huddy

we have Rookie, Rookie, Rookie as our 2nd pairing, if Hughes can't swing it his first year

Then we look like we did when poor DiPietro had to play a game, when he should not have

Except now it is on Defense

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

With the progress Hutton has made this year I don't see him being moved or if he is not until the TDL next year. Some fans are putting great expectations on Hughes and Joulevi next year which is way to aggressive.  

If we do sell high on Hutton (which I would seriously look at if I was Benning IMO), we could easily sign a short term, lower dollar vet to cushion the left side youth.

From there you rotate through with the UFA, Hughes, Sautner, Brisebois, Juolevi (and Pouliot, should he be back) in the 2nd/3rd./spare pair, left side.

All depends on what Hutton returns in trade though. Do we get that elusive, young, legit LW'er for Hutton + one of our 'lesser' LW'ers (Baer, Goldobin, Leivo, Pearson)? Maybe. (Though Goldy may be playing himself out of the 'lesser' category).

Because I can guarantee you we're not coming back with all those wingers (plus Roussel, Eriksson, Schaller etc). There simply isn't room. And I don't see Benning coming back with a very similar looking D next year either....

But sure, a Hutton trade could also theoretically be in-season as well.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

On February 9, 2019 at 8:11 AM, mll said:

Hutton is a UFA in a year and has arbitration rights.  Unless an extension is in place his trade value is not all that high as he might just be a one year rental.

Should Vancouver decide to retain him, he has all the leverage in negotiations.  He's relied on more than 4M Gudbranson and can simply decide to take the team to arbitration and test free agency in a year.  

Arizona just signed Jake Chychrun 6yrs x 4.6 million

Hutton has showed this year he can play big minutes and played decent..Big big improved player this year..

Hutton is worth between 3.5 --4.2 million

On 3/15/2019 at 5:36 PM, wildcam said:

Arizona just signed Jake Chychrun 6yrs x 4.6 million

Hutton has showed this year he can play big minutes and played decent..Big big improved player this year..

Hutton is worth between 3.5 --4.2 million

Sorry I just don’t see Hutton on a contending D, so if his actual worth is around 4 mil I think we should trade him and let another team sign him. 

17 minutes ago, J-P said:

Sorry I just don’t see Hutton on a contending D, so if his actual worth is around 4 mil I think we should trade him and let another team sign him. 

I would agree. As of now, I'd put his value about $3M or so.

39 minutes ago, J-P said:

Who will replace him ??????????? Hutton has been solid # 3 - 4 D guy...Really

Who can Vancouver go  replace him with ??? Not that simple to find... Go to Cap friendly and look what # 4 D men get now..

You can't just go and find guys like Stetcher and Hutton ?? 

What would it cost to trade for a top 3 or 4 D guy??? We don't have lots of assets to trade..

Goldy Pearson, Spooner  in one for one trades will not get a # 3 D back...

Hutton has played big minutes and looked okay on a very weak D... Look who he has been playing with...Consider many things when evaluating Hutton.

Pouliot must Go.....

I am fine with Hutton and Stetcher here ...

Hughes - Stetcher - Hutton -  (   Free agent this summer top 3 guy)  Juolevi -- Edler  2yrs -  Tanev 45 -60 games ,  Biega Depth

Woo,  Sautner,  Briesbois, Rathbone....

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I would agree. As of now, I'd put his value about $3M or so.

Hutton signed for over 4 mil makes me nervous. Maybe if he had two solid years in a row, but the swings in his game have been pretty big. He was showing he could take on some big minutes tho. I suspect this one's going to go to arbitration, if he's not traded. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I have confidence Hutton come back this year and looks much better...His conditioning and confidence has been big...

Hard to go trade for # 3 and 4 D guys...You have to draft and it takes time.....Hutton has matured thanks to Green

its really hard to say what Ben could get in a trade, so much depends on a teams scouting. But if he could be moved I think this is a good time to do it. Edler-Hughes-Sautner/Juolevi would be a good way to start next year if Ben can help us land a potential RFA top 6 LW. He wouldn't net that on his own but maybe in some kind of larger package deal. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

22 hours ago, wildcam said:

Who will replace him ??????????? Hutton has been solid # 3 - 4 D guy...Really

Who can Vancouver go  replace him with ??? Not that simple to find... Go to Cap friendly and look what # 4 D men get now..

You can't just go and find guys like Stetcher and Hutton ?? 

What would it cost to trade for a top 3 or 4 D guy??? We don't have lots of assets to trade..

Goldy Pearson, Spooner  in one for one trades will not get a # 3 D back...

Hutton has played big minutes and looked okay on a very weak D... Look who he has been playing with...Consider many things when evaluating Hutton.

Pouliot must Go.....

I am fine with Hutton and Stetcher here ...

Hughes - Stetcher - Hutton -  (   Free agent this summer top 3 guy)  Juolevi -- Edler  2yrs -  Tanev 45 -60 games ,  Biega Depth

Woo,  Sautner,  Briesbois, Rathbone....

As I said a few posts above yours...

On 3/9/2019 at 12:04 PM, aGENT said:

If we do sell high on Hutton (which I would seriously look at if I was Benning IMO), we could easily sign a short term, lower dollar vet to cushion the left side youth.

From there you rotate through with the UFA, Hughes, Sautner, Brisebois, Juolevi (and Pouliot, should he be back) in the 2nd/3rd./spare pair, left side.

All depends on what Hutton returns in trade though. Do we get that elusive, young, legit LW'er for Hutton + one of our 'lesser' LW'ers (Baer, Goldobin, Leivo, Pearson)? Maybe. (Though Goldy may be playing himself out of the 'lesser' category).

Because I can guarantee you we're not coming back with all those wingers (plus Roussel, Eriksson, Schaller etc). There simply isn't room. And I don't see Benning coming back with a very similar looking D next year either....

But sure, a Hutton trade could also theoretically be in-season as well.

I'd also add that Hutton + for an upgrade on a right D  would work nicely for us as well in that scenario (and possibly let us move Tanev if we sign a guy like Stralman short term).

Edited by aGENT

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I am a little pi$$ed today at the clowns on 650...……...doesn't happen often for me......

Anyways...…..they were talking about the value of Ben Hutton

……..says there is very little trade value

……...says that the Canucks may just let him walk

Now, I know they did not get this from Benning and is just opinion but

1. Did they not see Hutton's first season as a rookie...…..25 Points

2. Did they not see Hutton's play away from Gudbranson this year

3. Did they not see him playing 28 minutes a game?

Yes, he is not a #1/2 Damn, and yes, probably not a #3

But he is a solid #4, who held the fort with Stecher, when

there was no one else around....

To say he has no value, when MDZ at the very least got a 6th

is just ridiculous 

I will agree, his valued play was a small sample size this year

But he got stuck on a pairing with Guddy, for crying out loud

I take issue, with these idiots, who can can only blow stinky air

what the hell are they watching?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, I am a little pi$$ed today at the clowns on 650...……...doesn't happen often for me......

is just ridiculous 

Agreed. He's not worth a ton, but to say he should be left to walk is ridiculous.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Agreed. He's not worth a ton, but to say he should bet left to walk is ridiculous.

Any guy that can step in and play hard minutes....has value

When Hutton was playing 28+ a game, there was no where to hid

He did just fine, against the best...he certainly show me he had it

IMO......Hutton has the same value as Baertschi (not injured)

He played right along side Stecher and did not look any worse.

I just can see it......grrrr!

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

is just ridiculous 

I'm beginning to think that one of the requirements to get into sports radio in Vancouver is a frontal lobotomy. Which surprisingly enough is the same requirement to be an Coilers fan.

• Cheers 2