The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Lots of love for Hutton on this thread but I'm not there. He just makes too many defensive mistakes and too often has poor coverage, showing up on the wrong side of highlight reels. He has the worst plus / minus on the team right now. 

On 11/30/2018 at 10:45 PM, Slegr said:

Lots of love for Hutton on this thread but I'm not there. He just makes too many defensive mistakes and too often has poor coverage, showing up on the wrong side of highlight reels. He has the worst plus / minus on the team right now. 

In fairness to Ben, he's also been playing way over his head as 1st pair LD, against the best players for the month or so Edler was out. 

• Upvote 1

Ben Hutton has been playing leaps and bounds better than last year. PP and PK duties while covering for Eddys absence has been spot on. Against top lines with and without Guddy . Hes coming into his own and will just get better ( much better).With the injuries of Beagle and Sutter our deleted D-core has been taxed and pushed to its limits. Stetcher, pouliot, and del zotto have been our weak links on the D this year. Biega has played better then those 3 and should get more playing time. I honestly think if other teams looking for D men to shore up their core will take a flyer on biega (especially his last couple games) when we try to waive him back to Utica.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Ben Hutton has been playing leaps and bounds better than last year. PP and PK duties while covering for Eddys absence has been spot on. Against top lines with and without Guddy . Hes coming into his own and will just get better ( much better).With the injuries of Beagle and Sutter our deleted D-core has been taxed and pushed to its limits. Stetcher, pouliot, and del zotto have been our weak links on the D this year. Biega has played better then those 3 and should get more playing time. I honestly think if other teams looking for D men to shore up their core will take a flyer on biega (especially his last couple games) when we try to waive him back to Utica.

MDZ: Never a long term option. My best case was that we got something for him into the TDL.

Pouliot: A make or break this year. He did not have to be lights out just so progression. Not happening. His confidence looks shot.

Stecher: I thought Pouliot had more upside. Stecher is a guy you want to cheer for. His challenge this year IMHO was to solidify his d-zone play. That takes time. His challenge 

will always be his size and ability to counter that in the d-zone. A little more offense would counter this challenge. He likely has another year before seriously challenged. 

My favourite thing about Hutton is he has developed the Horvat toe drag in the defensive zone, and it seems like it works a lot better than when Horvat tries it.  When he's in a tough situation behind the net and there are players coming to him on either side he toe drags the puck to the middle and then skates it out, and I don't think it has been given enough credit.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

My favourite thing about Hutton is he has developed the Horvat toe drag in the defensive zone, and it seems like it works a lot better than when Horvat tries it.  When he's in a tough situation behind the net and there are players coming to him on either side he toe drags the puck to the middle and then skates it out, and I don't think it has been given enough credit.

I've seen him pull it off multiple times this year. Definitely a new addition to his repertoire.

• 2 weeks later...

I just cant see Hutton being traded.  Even with (hopefully) Hughes and Juolevi making the team next year, Hutton is being groomed to be the minute munching 5 on 5 and PK guy.  He's been absolutely superb as far as getting back on the right track.  I think you stick with him and hopefully he gets that break out year (offensively) soon.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I just cant see Hutton being traded.  Even with (hopefully) Hughes and Juolevi making the team next year, Hutton is being groomed to be the minute munching 5 on 5 and PK guy.  He's been absolutely superb as far as getting back on the right track.  I think you stick with him and hopefully he gets that break out year (offensively) soon.

Anyone is tradeable but I agree with you. That said we are all impressed from his recovery from a disaster last year but how does Benning see Hutton for a playoff team? Does he have further upside? Do you re-up Edler for 2-3 years and try to put OJ and Hughes in the lineup as quickly as possible? 

My take is that Benning is pretty careful. At a minimum he moves MDZ and Poulliot first. If Hutton finishes strong this year there will be a market for him next year. Of course all this goes out the window if Benning has a deal in the works or has his eyes on a UFA d-man.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Hutton is Vancouver's #3 d-man IMHO. Edler is hands down their best. Hutton had a pretty solid game against the best offensive team in the NHL last night. Tampa Bay got a little physical and Hutton was one of those who answered the bell. He has the size and physical conditioning to meet challenges like that now. 

Fans seem to be willing to trade Hutton as if his play is a uptick that is unsustainable. IMHO Hutton is to valuable as a #3 to be moved this year. Vancouver d-side depth is likely 2 years away.   What happened to Stecher last night is a likely example of what will happen in CUP play. I really like his game as he has been coming on strong but size means something. 

Good post.

I do not really understand all the people wanting to trade Hutton either. He is big and strong now and is playing well. He is 25 years old which means he is entering his prime years as a D. 

What would the point of trading him be? To get a different D man we hope can turn into him?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

Good post.

I do not really understand all the people wanting to trade Hutton either. He is big and strong now and is playing well. He is 25 years old which means he is entering his prime years as a D. 

What would the point of trading him be? To get a different D man we hope can turn into him?  

Exactly!  Hutton is our left hand version of Paryako, or pretty close to it.  They are the same age, and putting up (this season) similar numbers.  Hutton 14 points, and Paryako has 10 points.  Why in the world would we move Hutton?  And posters here want us to give up a ton of our youth and even picks to get Paryako!  

• Upvote 3

At the start of this season my thoughts, like a few of us here,.  We’re that Hutton HAD to prove himself at some point this season in order to stick for 19/20 season.

IMO, His confidence has almost doubled in this first half, he is far more physically engaged, and taking the strides to shoulder down and carry the puck across the centreline.  I for one am enjoying his progress, and watching the ceiling rise on his potential every week.

Last night when Brock headlocked Paquette after the His flying hit into Petterson,.  Ben took over and threw a couple of Gudbranson style haymakers into Paquette as he took him down. His D zone crease work is starting to get uncomfortable on opponents, and Greens assignments and matchups for Ben are evolving to challenge him to BE better.

Watch this kid after the new year,. I think we might see a few up ice rushes, cold shoulders, and some well deserved apples.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd agree with others that as of right now, Hutton is for sure our #3 defenseman. Crazy, considering that at the end of last year, many people had him as the #7 guy on our team.

For real he looks like a complete opposite player we seen last year.

In shape playing with confidence playing good hard minutes no where near as many mistakes and for sure at times our best defender. LOVE seeing this turn around complete 180, great job Hutty

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/20/2018 at 12:47 AM, SilentSam said:

At the start of this season my thoughts, like a few of us here,.  We’re that Hutton HAD to prove himself at some point this season in order to stick for 19/20 season.

IMO, His confidence has almost doubled in this first half, he is far more physically engaged, and taking the strides to shoulder down and carry the puck across the centreline.  I for one am enjoying his progress, and watching the ceiling rise on his potential every week.

Last night when Brock headlocked Paquette after the His flying hit into Petterson,.  Ben took over and threw a couple of Gudbranson style haymakers into Paquette as he took him down. His D zone crease work is starting to get uncomfortable on opponents, and Greens assignments and matchups for Ben are evolving to challenge him to BE better.

Watch this kid after the new year,. I think we might see a few up ice rushes, cold shoulders, and some well deserved apples.

Exactly Sam! Ben is turning 26 this season and entering his prime as a defender. IMHO the club has to take a lot of responsibility for his shaky development since breaking in. Ben Hutton is a 5th Round player who never played CHL hockey and played 3 years of collegiate hockey in a very junior U. Of Maine program. Top that with 4 AHL games to gain pro experience??? The trajectory is unbelievable. The fact that he survived all this and now plays a steady 2nd pairing NHL game is remarkable. 

Since I do not consider any player untradeable I would be very reluctant to move Hutton. That said Vancouver is entering a new phase in its development timeline. Benning has built some depth (not enough) and as these players develop there will be pieces who can be moved to bring back players who fit better into the program. Some of the pieces who leave will surprise us all. At this point if Van does move a d-man I suggest it should be Tanev. I wanted him traded 2 years ago when IMHO his value peaked out. There is still value there but not knowing the offers we will have to wait.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Ditto Boud’s..  I think Management was in a pinch when they decided to keep Ben up as a rookie..  he was big enough to handle the NHL, but wet for is pace.  Benning is doing, what I think is,  an even better job at setting up a true farm system for the franchise.. could you imagine Hutton walking into Utica now for a year vs 3 or 4 years ago.

Hutton may have been a victim of circumstances in his development,.

But sure enough adversity is a character trait that teaches you how to open doors by merely knocking them down in full stride.

If this is Hutton maturing point, the way he prepares for the game, and seriously takes the off season should have him in a Canuck Jersey for many seasons.

Tanev..   yes, I too thought him best to move a couple of seasons ago..

I was actually hoping we could have acquired E Kane from Buffalo for Tanev +.    ... it could have resolved a couple of issues, 

1.  not having our (#1.) D man only play half a season almost every year due to injuries.

2. Never having to acquire L Eriksson.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Exactly Sam! Ben is turning 26 this season and entering his prime as a defender. IMHO the club has to take a lot of responsibility for his shaky development since breaking in. Ben Hutton is a 5th Round player who never played CHL hockey and played 3 years of collegiate hockey in a very junior U. Of Maine program. Top that with 4 AHL games to gain pro experience??? The trajectory is unbelievable. The fact that he survived all this and now plays a steady 2nd pairing NHL game is remarkable. 

Since I do not consider any player untradeable I would be very reluctant to move Hutton. That said Vancouver is entering a new phase in its development timeline. Benning has built some depth (not enough) and as these players develop there will be pieces who can be moved to bring back players who fit better into the program. Some of the pieces who leave will surprise us all. At this point if Van does move a d-man I suggest it should be Tanev. I wanted him traded 2 years ago when IMHO his value peaked out. There is still value there but not knowing the offers we will have to wait.   

You've been extremely consistent in your support of Hutton, Boudrais. It's great to see him making such strong strides forward in his game.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1