The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Doesn't mean the Canucks are totally walking away from Hutton. They did the same thing last summer with Derrick Pouliot so that when he doesn't receive the QO, they can renegotiate a lower cap number.

However, sounds like JB and management might have already parted ways with him.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

14 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Doesn't mean the Canucks are totally walking away from Hutton. They did the same thing last summer with Derrick Pouliot so that when he doesn't receive the QO, they can renegotiate a lower cap number.

However, sounds like JB and management might have already parted ways with him.

Jeeze, that seems like a big mistake. I really hope they do qualify him. Who cares if he get 4.2 on a one year deal?

I am happy!! Save that $4M.... won't cost us close to that to nab Jordie Benn! Don't get me wrong... I do like B-Hut as a person....but he's just not consistent enough to get $4M+ .... I don't like us paying $7M for Myers either but if that's what it takes to make a playoff push!! We'll make more savings by trading Tanev too who offers next to nothing in offense and can't stay healthy for at least 80% of the time.... 

Let's get Schenn signed up for 1-way $1.5M!!

Edited by Virtanen#18
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I haven't liked Bens progression since his rookie season. Anything more than 2-2.5M for this guy is a massive overpayment. It sucks our d is so thin but even if he just walks I don't think it'll be that big of a loss. 

These are also my numbers. 

• Upvote 1

$4M is too much for Hutton imo. I'd like to re-sign him, but not for that much. He's worth $2.5-3.0 to me. I hope we don't qualify him and just re-sign him to a cheaper deal for 1 or 2 years. 

• Upvote 2

Imo Hutton was only good the first year he played for us, who knows why management has such a hard on for the kid.  Stetcher is so much better and has always had to fight for mins where as Ben is always guaranteed high mins for whatever reason I'm blind to.  I hope we let him go so we can take advantage of whatever team picks him up (if any)

31 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

$4M is too much for Hutton imo. I'd like to re-sign him, but not for that much. He's worth $2.5-3.0 to me. I hope we don't qualify him and just re-sign him to a cheaper deal for 1 or 2 years. 

I agree, AJ, although he worked hard to improve his game last year and took on some heavy minutes while Edler was away.  He certainly deserves a raise from his previous 2.5m contract; at least 3-3.2m

I'm thinking Juolevi isn't ready right away, so the d are looking thin on the right side without Ben.  Unless the management have a UFA that they're talking to (with +skills and - $), I like the idea of them waiting Hutton out and doing a short term deal.

40 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I agree, AJ, although he worked hard to improve his game last year and took on some heavy minutes while Edler was away.  He certainly deserves a raise from his previous 2.5m contract; at least 3-3.2m

I'm thinking Juolevi isn't ready right away, so the d are looking thin on the right side without Ben.  Unless the management have a UFA that they're talking to (with +skills and - $), I like the idea of them waiting Hutton out and doing a short term deal.

I feel that Hutton fell far short of his contract in 2017-18 and in 2018-19, went up to matching his contract cost. A contract of a bit over $3m wouldn't hurt too bad though provided it was also short in term. 

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I feel that Hutton fell far short of his contract in 2017-18 and in 2018-19, went up to matching his contract cost. A contract of a bit over $3m wouldn't hurt too bad though provided it was also short in term. 

It would still be over his value and it becomes an issue when negotiating other contracts.  

Agents are looking at what other players are getting and it's becoming far more challenging for teams to keep salaries down.   Having overpaid players on the roster complicates things.  Agents are looking where their clients stand on the depth chart and are not willing to take less.  McKenzie says Marner's camp doesn't care what Rantanen or Laine are going to get - for his camp the comparable is Matthews.  

On 6/24/2019 at 3:43 PM, -AJ- said:

Well, you got the first part of your wish !!

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He is now a UFA but not sure there is going to be a mad rush to sign him.   He may get his best offer right back in Vancouver for a bit of a haircut on AAV.

This morning’s tweet from Ben Kuzma says that by not qualifying Ben Hutton the Canucks still have his rights until July 1st and they don't face arbitration. They are “looking for common ground and see if we can get a deal done” (Benning). He may still wind up as a Canuck but not get very much money, given so little interest from other clubs when the Canucks shopped him around. 

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

This morning’s tweet from Ben Kuzma says that by not qualifying Ben Hutton the Canucks still have his rights until July 1st and they don't face arbitration. They are “looking for common ground and see if we can get a deal done” (Benning). He may still wind up as a Canuck but not get very much money, given so little interest from other clubs when the Canucks shopped him around. 

That is all correct.  UFA as of 1 July like anyone else on an expiring contract....can still negotiate with existing team.

On 6/26/2019 at 7:30 AM, steviewonder20 said:

There’s a report today that Toronto was interested in Hutton but couldn’t come to terms with the Canucks. Now they will be going after him in free agency. Will not be happy to lose him for nothing if Toronto offered us something that we refused. 

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2019/06/28/toronto-maple-leafs-ben-hutton/