The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I would personally put both Del Zotto and Stecher above him. I'd agree that he's rushing out pretty well and has some decent first passes, but his defensive positioning is pretty poor sometimes. If he can become more consistent defensively, we have a real stud on our hands.

I think Edler is better defensively than Hutton and even he can be erratic at times.

The Canucks don't really have a pure offensive d man. Del Zotta and Stecher have not rushed the puck as much as they should and get involved in the offence.

Another problem is nobody on d has a good point shot.

Need a guy who makes good decisions can pass and shoot with both accuracy and power.

38 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I think Edler is better defensively than Hutton and even he can be erratic at times.

The Canucks don't really have a pure offensive d man. Del Zotta and Stecher have not rushed the puck as much as they should and get involved in the offence.

Another problem is nobody on d has a good point shot.

Need a guy who makes good decisions can pass and shoot with both accuracy and power.

soooooooo...Dahlin. lol. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Is Ben Hutton a legit top 4 or bottom pair like Gudbranson?

Stay tuned to the curious case of Benjamin Hutton...

Cannot remember what game but Hutton played a forechecker off the puck, physically, wheeled around and fired a pass up ice for a scoring chance. IMHO Hutton has to play a bigger physical game to make it in the NHL and by all appearances he is working hard in that direction. In his first NHL season he was getting away with making plays on the puck and opposing teams were seeing the opportunity to play him physically. He added weight to counter and is now winning more puck battles. I am happy with the way he is developing so far this year.

• Upvote 1

Interesting indepth analysis of Ben Hutton with a lot of stats comparisons.  

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/10/26/deep-dive-ben-hutton-is-better-than-you-think-he-is-unless-you-already-think-hes-really-good/

"These days, one of the more polarizing players is defenceman Ben Hutton. My stance here is that Ben Hutton is a very good defenceman, and is probably better than a lot of people think he is. But of course, that all depends on your personal opinion of him.

Be warned: I’ve flagged this article as a deep dive. As such, it’s going to be very long and very thorough.".

Edited by skategal
formatting
  • Upvote 2

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:15 AM, Boudrias said:

Cannot remember what game but Hutton played a forechecker off the puck, physically, wheeled around and fired a pass up ice for a scoring chance. IMHO Hutton has to play a bigger physical game to make it in the NHL and by all appearances he is working hard in that direction. In his first NHL season he was getting away with making plays on the puck and opposing teams were seeing the opportunity to play him physically. He added weight to counter and is now winning more puck battles. I am happy with the way he is developing so far this year.

Playing with Gudbranson should give Ben every opportunity he needs to grow the physical side of his game. He can not only watch to see how it's done, but has a defensive partner who is more than capable of standing up for him, should he piss off the wrong player.

35 minutes ago, skategal said:

Interesting indepth analysis of Ben Hutton with a lot of stats comparisons.  

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/10/26/deep-dive-ben-hutton-is-better-than-you-think-he-is-unless-you-already-think-hes-really-good/

"These days, one of the more polarizing players is defenceman Ben Hutton. My stance here is that Ben Hutton is a very good defenceman, and is probably better than a lot of people think he is. But of course, that all depends on your personal opinion of him.

Be warned: I’ve flagged this article as a deep dive. As such, it’s going to be very long and very thorough.".

Thanks for sharing. Might make me look at Hutton's play more closely.

I generally operate from the view that no player is as bad or as good as CDC pegs them to be.  I've not been disheartened with Hutton's play, nor was I with Sbisa.  Playing defence is hard, there will always be mistakes.  The statistical analysis was somewhat interesting, although I think about a third of the way through my eyes started to glaze over :)  

• Upvote 2

Since Edler went down with injury, Hutton has been playing more than guys like Brent Burns, Mark Giordano, Ryan McDonagh and Brent Seabrook. I think he's looked very impressive, he hasn't put up great offensive numbers, but that's not for lack of trying (29 SOG so far). He has also looked good defensively. 

I think that he could eventually develop into a legitimate top pairing defenseman which the Canucks will really need. They have a lot of solid young d-men (Stecher, Juolevi, Holm, McEneny, Chatfield) but they are lacking someone who shows elite potential.

• Like 1

I have been impressed by Hutton's game over the last couple of outings actually - especially when in comparison to the first few when he was almost invisible.  While his shots have been a little on the weak side, I feel he has boosted up his hitting and been doing well to take shots.... even if most of them don't find their target.  I realize his point totals leave something to be desired and that's obviously a concern, but I do think his play overall has been quite good recently.

41 minutes ago, TonyStrecher said:

Since Edler went down with injury, Hutton has been playing more than guys like Brent Burns, Mark Giordano, Ryan McDonagh and Brent Seabrook. I think he's looked very impressive, he hasn't put up great offensive numbers, but that's not for lack of trying (29 SOG so far). He has also looked good defensively. 

I think that he could eventually develop into a legitimate top pairing defenseman which the Canucks will really need. They have a lot of solid young d-men (Stecher, Juolevi, Holm, McEneny, Chatfield) but they are lacking someone who shows elite potential.

This has always been the case. The Canucks have never had a defenceman that you can say was in the elite category. However, they have had solid defencemen over the years - Matthias Ohlund, Kevin Bieksa, Ed Jovanovski, Jyrki Lumme, Sami Salo, Christian Ehrhoff, Doug Lidster, Dan Hamhuis, etc.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

I have been impressed by Hutton's game over the last couple of outings actually - especially when in comparison to the first few when he was almost invisible.  While his shots have been a little on the weak side, I feel he has boosted up his hitting and been doing well to take shots.... even if most of them don't find their target.  I realize his point totals leave something to be desired and that's obviously a concern, but I do think his play overall has been quite good recently.

Fans have to be patient with Hutton. He was dumped on last year and it started again this year. 3rd year pro who is still learning the game. I expect by year end this kid will be a very solid contributor. The role Gudbranson plays in this development should not be understated. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Fans have to be patient with Hutton. He was dumped on last year and it started again this year. 3rd year pro who is still learning the game. I expect by year end this kid will be a very solid contributor. The role Gudbranson plays in this development should not be understated. 

I felt that Hutton actually had a lot of excellent tools to be a very effective defenseman.  His first year stats mimicked that of some pretty high end defensemen currently in the league.  I didn't expect him regress his second year and further still this season. 

I do agree with you though - I don't believe he's going to continue regressing.  There are elements of his game that are clearly improving... scoring just happens not to be one of them right now.  I think if he continues trying to play the way he currently is that improvement is inevitable.

9 hours ago, kloubek said:

I felt that Hutton actually had a lot of excellent tools to be a very effective defenseman.  His first year stats mimicked that of some pretty high end defensemen currently in the league.  I didn't expect him regress his second year and further still this season. 

I do agree with you though - I don't believe he's going to continue regressing.  There are elements of his game that are clearly improving... scoring just happens not to be one of them right now.  I think if he continues trying to play the way he currently is that improvement is inevitable.

IMHO for Hutton to reach his greatest potential he has to solidify his d-zone play. He added over 20 pounds to become more competitive on board battle. Based on improved d-zone play he can begin his breakouts either by pass or by skating the puck with less risk of turnover. He still has above average skating even with the added weight. My patience with Hutton is all about the time line and where he will be in 3 seasons when the Canucks start to become more competitive. Hutton should evolve into a team leader.

• Like 2

My thoughts on Hutton are that we put too much on him right away........

Pretty much like Edmonton put too much on Justin Schultz

Now look at Schultz

Once we got Willie out of here..........and Hutton gets some minutes (which indicated the coaches confidence) Hutton starts playing better

Imagine that!

So my fear is we run him out of town and then he plays lights out! I say keep him! And Gud!

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2017 at 8:47 PM, janisahockeynut said:

My thoughts on Hutton are that we put too much on him right away........

Pretty much like Edmonton put too much on Justin Schultz

Now look at Schultz

Once we got Willie out of here..........and Hutton gets some minutes (which indicated the coaches confidence) Hutton starts playing better

Imagine that!

So my fear is we run him out of town and then he plays lights out! I say keep him! And Gud!

Hutton a +6 to Tanev's +10. 2nd best +/- on the team. IMHO Gudbranson makes a huge dif to the d-zone play of all the d-core. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was starting to get annoyed with Ben but he seemed to start to turn things around a couple of games ago, so hopefully he can settle down and be more consistent. Its pretty amazing though that we have a winning record so far this year with just 2 goals (both Tanev's) out of our entire D group. If you want the biggest difference between WD and Green I think its how well he has the D group is moving the puck, and even with the lack of scoring it has a huge effect on the team. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Absolutely Jimmy, being as mobile as they are physically and with the great first passes out provides our offense with a much better counter attack. i believe the goals are coming from our backend soon, first with primary assists then from the blueline. the boys just need to start dialing it in.

• Like 1