The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

Tanev is not practicing in the Canucks' final practice of 2019 (today). 

It's been so nice having him play so much this season, but I'm starting to hold my breath each game-day.

Between 2010/11 and 2018/19, the average number of games he played a season is 49. He has already played all 40 games in 2019/20. Could you imagine if he played in all 82 regular season games this year? 

3 hours ago, Slegr said:

Tanev is not practicing in the Canucks' final practice of 2019 (today). 

It's been so nice having him play so much this season, but I'm starting to hold my breath each game-day.

Between 2010/11 and 2018/19, the average number of games he played a season is 49. He has already played all 40 games in 2019/20. Could you imagine if he played in all 82 regular season games this year? 

Hes avoiding a lot more heavy hits than in the past and keeps his feet moving constantly.I ,100% believe that the forwards blocking shots up high instead of him taking it full speed down low is making all the difference. Im a big Tanev fan and always have been. Hes the warrior that every team needs and i hope he stays ours for a while. Best defensive pairing the nucks have Tanev/Huggy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Hes avoiding a lot more heavy hits than in the past and keeps his feet moving constantly.I ,100% believe that the forwards blocking shots up high instead of him taking it full speed down low is making all the difference. Im a big Tanev fan and always have been. Hes the warrior that every team needs and i hope he stays ours for a while. Best defensive pairing the nucks have Tanev/Huggy.

Huggy factor?  Huggy has the puck a lot.  Plus, forecheck too hard, and get of position, and Huggy makes you pay.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Huggy factor?  Huggy has the puck a lot.  Plus, forecheck too hard, and get of position, and Huggy makes you pay.  

I agree. Tanev also has a very accurate first pass out . Double threat. Tanevs very smart at seperating player from puck and huggy is always prepared to take that pass and exit the zone. And as a note... exit the zone with possesion not scared $&!#tless and throw it up the ice. Tanevs never had that type of partner before. When i see that pairing on the ice, all is good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dannydog said:

I agree. Tanev also has a very accurate first pass out . Double threat. Tanevs very smart at seperating player from puck and huggy is always prepared to take that pass and exit the zone. And as a note... exit the zone with possesion not scared $&!#tless and throw it up the ice. Tanevs never had that type of partner before. When i see that pairing on the ice, all is good.

I wonder if we re-up Tanev for another three years?  Or, is Hughes going to make any partner look good? 

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if we re-up Tanev for another three years?  Or, is Hughes going to make any partner look good? 

I think the team will re up Tanev.

But I also think Hughes would make any partner look like a very good D man. We know Tanev did that himself for many years.

I'm thinking that Tanev may just be the first highly-regarded veteran heading into UFA who Benning trades for a prospect or picks.  As much as I would like to keep all our UFAs, this is what successful teams eventually do with some of their better UFAs, and I'm hoping that Benning does with Tanev.  Especially since we have a young RD in Rafferty who can hopefully step into Tanev's place.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I'm thinking that Tanev may just be the first highly-regarded veteran heading into UFA who Benning trades for a prospect or picks.  As much as I would like to keep all our UFAs, this is what successful teams eventually do with some of their better UFAs, and I'm hoping that Benning does with Tanev.  Especially since we have a young RD in Rafferty who can hopefully step into Tanev's place.

Rafferty might be able to play some bottom pairing minutes, but there's no way he can fill Tanev's minutes as soon as next year. On top of that, Rafferty is an offensive guy and fills an entirely different role than Tanev. Trading Tanev could end up being a good decision, but definitely leaves a big gap on our back end that we'd be naive to think can easily be filled by a young fringe NHL defenseman.

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Rafferty might be able to play some bottom six minutes, but there's no way he can fill Tanev's minutes as soon as next year. On top of that, Rafferty is an offensive guy and fills an entirely different role than Tanev. Trading Tanev could end up being a good decision, but definitely leaves a big gap on our back end that we'd be naive to think can easily be filled by a young fringe NHL defenseman.

I think it is far more likely that Rafferty replaces Stetcher at some point in time, whether that is this season or next, remains to be seen

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Rafferty might be able to play some bottom six minutes, but there's no way he can fill Tanev's minutes as soon as next year. On top of that, Rafferty is an offensive guy and fills an entirely different role than Tanev. Trading Tanev could end up being a good decision, but definitely leaves a big gap on our back end that we'd be naive to think can easily be filled by a young fringe NHL defenseman.

People use Tyramkin as a reason to move Tanev but no one knows whether not he could handle that workload right away or be good enough at all. Or even want to stay here or even come back.

Tryamkin situation is an unpredictable one.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

But can they afford to resign him and not replace him with a younger, cheaper D?  They're going to have to start making some decisions like this in the near future.

They'd have to ship out a few guys first.

We could see Sutter/Baer/Benn gone next off-season since they will all be easier to move with 1 year left. Worst case scenario if we can't move that many of them we have to move Pearson who should garner interest if he keeps his play up. He is on pace for a career year and is playing better than his contract IMO.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

On 12/31/2019 at 6:37 PM, Alflives said:

Myers doesnt look no where as good with Huggy if thats what your impying. Tanev allows Quin wiggled room to f up and not pay for it.

20 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Key phrase there is "hopefully" I can see trading Tanev when there is a player to replace.

• 2 weeks later...