The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(REPORTS) Canucks interview Dante Fabbro early, at the combine.

CHYCHRUN

2 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Your title says Canucks had a good interview, yet you state the Canucks have interviewed him like I'm sure they interviewed 70+ others. So them interviewing him went well according to you? I checked Eklund and News 1130 and I can't find it anywhere where they said Canucks interview with Fabbro went well. Really misleading title and post. Seems like you're trying to make something out of nothing

I changed it. That better ?

This is about the time you say.. what the hell were you thinking Benning not trading Hamhuis, Vrbata, or even Hansen for a late first or early second round pick

It's called asset management you dolt

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not great with our current assets.

Unless one of Tanev or Edler were in play (they'd command a first plus additional assets), or maybe Hansen (for a late first, or early second plus another piece).

Sbisa (maybe plus another piece) might get us a 2nd or 3rd from a team needing to add D.

As for ships already sailed: assets from Hamhuis (at TDL) and Shinkaruk (if traded between now and the draft) probably would have been enough to secure a late first as well. Not trying to beat a dead horse, just saying it might have worked if things played out that way.

Back to reality: we could also move 2017 or 2018 picks but you usually don't get good value for future draft years so I wouldn't recommend it.

Probably something centred around Hansen is the best bet, much as I hate to say it. But if we sign one of the good UFA wingers, we could afford to cash in on Hansen's value and acquire a second 1st round pick, without sacrificing much of our current roster quality.

Kind of what I was thinking as well.

15 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Benning will find a way to disappoint the fanbase at the draft.

Yeah, He'll forfeit all his picks saying that the Canucks feel sorry for the Oilers and don't really need the picks anyway.

2 hours ago, Lost_Viking said:

Canucks are just doing their due diligence in case a trade comes up at the draft. This could be either an opportunity to move down from 5th or a trading roster player(s) for an additional 1st round pick. If they don't interview these guys and set a value on them, they aren't in a position to know what they are getting/risking in such a trade.

I would be interested in Fabbro, but I'm don't feel a deal will come up where we'll be in a draft position to take him.

I'm sure JB wants to recoup his lost 2nd round pick with either a late 1st or a 2nd of some sort. My speculation is the prices will be too high (picks are worth more on draft day than any other day of the year) and that JB will settle for later round picks. Case in point, he seemed very pleased to grab a 3rd(+) for Lack in order to draft Brisebois.

Plus he is a scout at heart, scouting is mostly useless in the early rounds, as all of the candidates have been scouted to death by everyone and there is a general consensus. Scouting really shines in the later rounds when you have the opportunity to nab someone others aren't aware of. That fact is magnified by ego, the "I know something others don't" attitude can be a tough one to ignore. Same reason a lot of finance veterans go broke betting on extremely risky investments because they feel they have an edge in that area, as opposed to doing the safe thing which anyone could do and then they are just going to get the same return as Joe Blow.

I disagree. If Dubois is gone at 5,  I bet he trades down and gets a mid round pick, Fabbro, plus another pick or 2. If Dubois is available, then he will take him and also try and swing a trade somehow someway. Perhaps a goalie plus a Hansen/d-man. I'm not sure how, but I sure as hell hope he somehow pulls a rabbit from his hat.

Fabbro was in our back yard... surely they had scouts on him.

54 minutes ago, canux said:

This is about the time you say.. what the hell were you thinking Benning not trading Hamhuis, Vrbata, or even Hansen for a late first or early second round pick

It's called asset management you dolt

It's called no team want to trade a late first or early second, heck even a late second, for Hamhuis. Asking anything above a fifth for Vrbata will have other GMs laugh at you and how the hell are we suppose to trade Hansen when he is the third winger to the Sedins.

It takes more than one to dance. You cannot manage assets when there is no one willing to do those trade with you. Stop blaming this on JB as if he did not even try to trade them.

Maybe JB is planning for a scenario that the Oilers trade 4th pick to Montreal who pick Dubois.  Then Arizona calls and offers the 7th and 20th in order to pick Tkachuk.  The Canucks pick Jost at 7 and Fabbro at 20 (if he is still there).  If JB is worried that Fabbro will be gone before 20th then he tries to trade down using a roster player or Torts 2nd to trade down.  Just my thoughts if JB covets Jost and Fabbro.

1 minute ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Maybe JB is planning for a scenario that the Oilers trade 4th pick to Montreal who pick Dubois.  Then Arizona calls and offers the 7th and 20th in order to pick Tkachuk.  The Canucks pick Jost at 7 and Fabbro at 20 (if he is still there).  If JB is worried that Fabbro will be gone before 20th then he tries to trade down using a roster player or Torts 2nd to trade down.  Just my thoughts if JB covets Jost and Fabbro.

You raise some good points.  Do you think the GMs are already discussing these types of trades, to be better prepared at the draft?  

2 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I'd seriously love it if this came to fruition. Great post !

Archived