The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mikhail Sergachev: The best D in the 2016 draft

We've got Discussion threads on Juolevi, Chychrun and even Bean, I figured it's time to talk about the Max Kaminsky (most outstanding OHL defenceman) Trophy winner. Ultimately if the forward canucks have their eyes on isn't there at 5, I wouldn't be against taking a D, that D being Sergachev.  If your sold on a player it's not worth taking a risk on trading down and hoping he's still there.  Players get taking off the board all the time.  I believe Sergachev has the best shot to get this team a true #1 D out of the draft this year.  And here's why:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/prospect-interest-411-mikhail-sergachev/

One of the most valuable positions in today’s NHL is the two-way defenceman.

Just about every Stanley Cup winner over the past decade has heavily relied on their top-pair blueliner, so you can understand why there is significant buzz around Windsor’s Mikhail Sergachev.

Here’s everything you need to know about the ultra-competitive defenceman:

Age on June 24: 17 (turns 18 on June 25)
Current Team: Windsor Spitfires, OHL
Position: Defence
Shoots: Left
Height: 6-foot-2
Weight: 208 pounds
NHL Central Scouting Rank (North American): 8th

Very poised on the blue line…

Sergachev is defined by his three-zone play, confidence, and creativity with the puck. But perhaps his best asset is how calm he is, even when facing significant pressure.

He is a very controlled player, especially when he needs to make split-second decisions, and is patient when he needs to drive the puck up ice, make a breakout pass, or maintain puck possession.

He’s a fairly physical (and smart) player too. The tenacious Russian is very aggressive and consistently uses his big frame to angle off opponents and win puck battles.

“His read-and-react game is fast,” Central Scouting’s Dan Marr told NHL.com. “He’s able to transition quickly. He’s got that focus on the ice, and he’s a guy you don’t catch out of position. It is a lot tougher to beat him 1-on-1 now than it was earlier in the year.”

His all-around play helped him win the Max Kaminsky Trophy in his first junior season in Canada as the most outstanding OHL defenceman. Past winners include Drew Doughty, Aaron Ekblad, and Dougie Hamilton.

Should be an offensive weapon at the next level…

Sergachev was third in total points among OHL defencemen this past season, and he finished first in goals.

He has a big shot from the point that can be difficult for opposing goaltenders, which helps create rebounds for his teammates as well. He’s most often been compared to Zach Werenski, the eighth overall pick in the 2015 NHL Draft and captain of Team USA’s World Junior Championship team. Werenski played seven games at the end of the AHL season this past year, after finishing up at the University of Michigan as a point-per-game player.

Sergachev is a logical option as a power play contributor at the pro level because he can move the puck well, create space with his body, and generate offence from the point.

Sergachev wants to be a bear of a player…

One of his favourite players is fellow Russian, Alex Ovechkin.

“He’s an animal on the ice,” Sergachev said (via NHL.com). “He’s big, strong, has a good shot, good hands and good head. He’s fun to watch because he’s like a bear, and I want to be a Russian bear.”

Sergachev certainly has enough size to bring that physical game to the next level, and it’s another element that scouts love about him. Ahead of the draft, the buzz was about which defenceman would get picked first and, for the most part, the scouting community seemed torn between Sergachev and Olli Juolevi of the London Knights.

Here’s what one scout, who advocates for Sergachev, told Sportsnet’s Gare Joyce at the NHL’s Scouting Combine in early June:

“He probably helped himself this week. He measured at 220 pounds and over 6-foot-2. You can see him bring a physical component as a pro that you wouldn’t project for Juolevi. I think there’s a chance that he could be the best player in this whole draft eight or 10 years from now. We liked him in our interview. He could have opted out of the U18s (after most of the Russian team was suspended for PED use). He told us that he wanted to go and play with underages at the tournament because he’d been an underager the year before and felt like he had a duty to help the Russian kids. ‘My country was always there for me, so I’m there for my country,’ he told us. Which you have to respect.”

He didn’t know much English when he arrived in North America this season…

When Sergachev first came over for Russia, it took him some time to acclimate himself. He didn’t know a ton of English at first but he worked through it, thanks to the help of his billet family and former teammate Daniil Vertiy, according to NHL.com.

However, when Vertiy was dealt away from Windsor last November, he had to step up his English game.

“He’s not your prototypical Russian,” teammate Logan Brown told NHL.com. “He learned the language on his own and is now cracking jokes. He’s hilarious. But even more remarkable was how quickly he was able to translate his game into a North American game.”

Since then, there’s been notable progress.

“He has an English teacher now and it gets better and better, so it’s fun to play with him,” Windsor defenceman Logan Stanley added. “I think he makes me look a lot better. He still yells in Russian when he gets fired up. He sometimes comes back to the bench and says stuff in Russian, but we laugh at him and brush it off.”

He sounds great – so where can he improve?

Even with his impressive season, there’s still so much room to grow in Sergachev’s game.

That’s why many expect he’ll go back to junior next season.

While Sergachev was a solid defensive player for the most part, displaying good gap control in his first OHL season, he admitted he can grow even more in that area.

He wants to improve his positioning and become harder to move in front of the net.

Scouting Reports

DraftBuzz Hockey

Spoiler

Mikhail Sergachev is an expressive Russian import with world-class skating ability who flashed #1D capacity late this season. Named OHL’s top defenseman, Sergachev blazed the 2nd half after reportedly communicating homesickness in the fall up to November. Sergachev eventually got it together improving from .76 to an elite 1.05PTS/GP, like Provorov elite, which is an increase of 38.2% from the first 2/3 to last 1/3. Even more astounding is that Windsor’s GF productionbarely changed in that same time period: 3.71G/GP to 3.74G/GP. Not only do thenumbers suggest electric potential, but so does his natural ability. Sergachev is a freak of an athlete whose skates jump off the ice with grace, power, and fluidity.

He stickhandles like a first line playmaker, and rushes the puck with pull-you-out-of your-seat excitement. He is the premier point man in the draft, with a bomb of a slapshot, a howitzer of a snap/wrist shot, and effortless puck movement. He could run the point blindfold, that’s how good he is back there. To top off all the ringing endorsement, Sergachev is a physical specimen who has noproblem playing with edge. There are critiques of him being detached, and that’s just a misunderstanding of an elite talent conserving his energy – because he can. He’s not perfect, but a lucky team is going to cultivate him so that all you see is the explosively athletic skill – skill that should make the NHL sooner ratherthan later.

ISS

Spoiler

In his first year in North America, Sergachev was able to combine his fluid skating with his understanding of the game to be an impact player. Has a bomb of a shot from the blue line with a quick release. Can lead the rush with end to end rushes as well as good outlet passes. Played a much more defensive role compared to playing a leadership role on a younger Russian U18 team. Defensively uses his size, stick and smarts to position himself well and take away lanes from opponents. He’s willing to battle hard in the corners with good physical play and compete. His poise with the puck makes him dangerous with high end skating ability to escape forecheckers. Has the ability to make an impact in all three zones and on every shift. Sergachev was named OHL Defenceman of the year.

Hockey Prospect

Spoiler

Sergachev is a big-bodied defenseman who skates very well. He carries the puck with confidence and with a combination of speed and protection ability rarely found in defensive prospects. Unlike some defensemen, he doesn't stop when entering the offensive zone. When possible he will challenge defenders one on one, winning a fair share of those match-up's. He possesses a lethal wrist shot which he has used to score some of his 17 goals this season on the rush. Sergachev also has a powerful slapshot from the point and unloads great one-timers. He puts the puck on net and can score, as well as create rebounds with that powerful point shot. He does a good job pinching to keep the play going in the offensive zone.

Defensively he plays with a bit of an edge. He will take the body and has crushed some opponents. He has a good stick on one on one’s and with his size and reach he has been tough to beat. He can sometimes lose his positioning during sustained zone pressure, which is not uncommon for OHL rookies. Sergachev has all the makings of a top pairing offensive defenseman at the next level. He has to overcome defensive inconsistencies but has the hockey sense and skill to be very successful at the NHL level. Sergachev will be one of the first defensemen taken at the 2016 NHL Entry Draft

Future Considerations

Spoiler

Sergachev is a smooth-skating defenseman who isn’t afraid to use his body. He looks very comfortable and confident, quietly playing a strong and effective game from the back end. He plays in all situations and is successful; he effectively cuts off his man’s routes, and gets the puck out of pressure situations. Sergachev reads the situations well and does not just get rid of the puck in ahurry. With some space and time, he is patient looking for other options besides just banging it off the wall or down the ice. A key member of the Spitfires power play unit, he moves the puck around the top of the zone with confidence and poise, and utilizes his vision and creativity when he sees an opportunity to slide down low for a shot. Sergachev has a very heavy point shot that is positionedwell. A high-end skater who has exceptional acceleration, he can explode laterally in one step, which makes all the difference. He shows excellent edge work to maintain balance and strength, cutting up the ice with shifty feet and quick pivots.

Sergachev stays calm and collected skating with the puck, while also generating tremendous speed as he crosses over and moves his way up ice. He is a powerful skater when he gets moving and is almost unstoppable on his feet. He displays impressive awareness and knows when an opponent is lining him up, adaptingaccordingly to move laterally and protect the puck while using his speed to separate from the man, not getting flustered or making an unnecessary play with the puck. He sees lanes develop and hits his man with a crisp pass. He is a high-end puck mover. His passes are crisp and he leads his man. Calm and composed with the puck, Sergachev makes smart plays to get the puck up ice. He is cool as a cucumber, showing absolutely no hesitation under pressure. He remains composed and relaxed with pressure or when there are no options available, never appearing flustered even in the worst of times. Defensively, he marks his man and makes a strong effort to keep him contained to the outside and away from the slot and high-threat areas.

"In assessing Sergachev, it’s also worth noting that his points per game in his draft year, 0.86 points per game, is in the same elite range as recent top-drafted d-men such as Aaron Ekblad, Drew Doughty, Seth Jones, Mathew Dumba and P.K. Subban."

Spoiler

major-junior-dmen2005-16.jpg?quality=55&

He's been extremely impressive for a kid learning english and the NA game at he same time,  In his first 3 months he put up only 16 points in 27 games, but after getting adjusted he finished the year off with 41 points in his final 40 games, and then topped it off with being a ppg 5 in playoffs games. The potential is there.  Which team will be the one to take a chance on him.

10 minutes ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

Let's trade markstrom for a top 10 pick  and get this guy. We need to be aggressive this draft and try to snatch up another talented player like, sergacheyv, Nylander or Gauthier , jost. These types of players  are rare finds 

In what world does Markstrom get you a top 10 pick?

34 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Would Edler waive to Buf. Probably not but….Pipedream time

Edler + 5th + Pedan + Hansen

For Reinhart + 8th (Sergachev) + 69th

PS....BUF has 4 picks in the 3rd round...crazy

Realistically, Montreal is the only top 10 pick hope of Edler waiving IMO.

He's my favourite defenceman in the draft.  Holy sh*t, he's 220 pounds already at 17?  WOW!!  He's gonna be a stud.

I think this guy is Benning's number one D as well.  I believe he could be a solid #2 D in the league with the possibility of being a #1.  Probably he's the guy JB has 6th on his board.  If Dubois is gone at 4 he may be the pick at 5 unless JB gets a great trade offer for Tkachuk.  If Dubois is gone I can see JB trading down and getting this guy plus another asset.  My dream scenario is drafting Dubois at 5 and somehow getting another top 10 pick and drafting Sergachev as well.  Not sure how that could work but maybe JB can find a way.

5 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

He's my favourite defenceman in the draft.  Holy sh*t, he's 220 pounds already at 17?  WOW!!  He's gonna be a stud.

I think this guy is Benning's number one D as well.  I believe he could be a solid #2 D in the league with the possibility of being a #1.  Probably he's the guy JB has 6th on his board.  If Dubois is gone at 4 he may be the pick at 5 unless JB gets a great trade offer for Tkachuk.  If Dubois is gone I can see JB trading down and getting this guy plus another asset.  My dream scenario is drafting Dubois at 5 and somehow getting another top 10 pick and drafting Sergachev as well.  Not sure how that could work but maybe JB can find a way.

Are you old enough to watch Dennis Potvin play for the Islanders dynasty of the 80s?  That's Sergachev's ceiling, according to Bob Mackenzie.  

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are you old enough to watch Dennis Potvin play for the Islanders dynasty of the 80s?  That's Sergachev's ceiling, according to Bob Mackenzie.  

Wow that is some high praise from ol Bob the insider, weird to compare a russian D man to Potvin? Or is this just headline material

Just now, SaintPatrick33 said:

Wow that is some high praise from ol Bob the insider, weird to compare a russian D man to Potvin? Or is this just headline material

Not headline stuff.  Mackenzie watched Sergachev play a lot this year.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yes I watched the Islanders dynasty win 4 cups. I was in Pacific Coliseum in 1982 watching games 3 and 4 of the final between the Canucks and Islanders. That whole team was great. Bossy was one of my favourite players. 

Potvin was one of the best defenceman in the NHL when he was in his prime in the 70's. Him and Larry Robinson.  Coffey and Bourque took over in the 80's.

I'm not sure you can compare Sergachev to Potvin. Potvin got 123 points his draft year in junior and was selected 1st overall. He's a hall of famer and got over 100 points as a defencemen one year. 

Don't care what Bob Mac says. Potvin is a legend. Sergachev has a high ceiling. He could be a number one defenceman.  But like Potvin?  No way. 

1 minute ago, Harvey Spector said:

Yes I watched the Islanders dynasty win 4 cups. I was in Pacific Coliseum in 1982 watching games 3 and 4 of the final between the Canucks and Islanders. That whole team was great. Bossy was one of my favourite players. 

Potvin was one of the best defenceman in the NHL when he was in his prime in the 70's. Him and Larry Robinson.  Coffey and Bourque took over in the 80's.

I'm not sure you can compare Sergachev to Potvin. Potvin got 123 points his draft year in junior and was selected 1st overall. He's a hall of famer and got over 100 points as a defencemen one year. 

Don't care what Bob Mac says. Potvin is a legend. Sergachev has a high ceiling. He could be a number one defenceman.  But like Potvin?  No way. 

Potvin had elite offense, but he combined that with being very very mean.  He dominated the game on several levels.  That's what Mackenzie was talking about with the comparison.  Plus the body type is similar.  Built like a tank.

I've heard Sergachev compared to both Hedman and/or Ristolainan,  but not Potvin.   Somehow getting PLD,  and acquiring another top 10 pick (Sergachev or another elite D) would be a major feat for JB and move the development of this franchise ahead by several years imo. 

Just really hope draft day isn't as disappointing as the past TDL.

24 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Somehow getting PLD,  and acquiring another top 10 pick (Sergachev or another elite D) would be a major feat for JB

That would be EPIC!  

But I'm expecting a bust like the TDL.

This guy paired with Gudbranson would be a high-end shutdown pair that is a nightmare to play against. With Hutton and Tryamkin on 2nd pair and Pedan (if he pans out and Subban/Stecher on the 3rd pair. That's not a bad looking D group for the future. Suddenly makes Tanev really expendable as early as next year.

2 years from now:

Edler - Gudbranson

Hutton - Tryamkin

Pedan - Subban/Stecher/Sergachev

Subban/Stecher/Sergachev for depth

5 years from now:

Sergachev - Gudbranson

Hutton - Tryamkin

Pedan - Subban/Stecher

Subban/Stecher etc.

I'm down with that backend.

31 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

This guy paired with Gudbranson would be a high-end shutdown pair that is a nightmare to play against. With Hutton and Tryamkin on 2nd pair and Pedan (if he pans out and Subban/Stecher on the 3rd pair. That's not a bad looking D group for the future. Suddenly makes Tanev really expendable as early as next year.

2 years from now:

Edler - Gudbranson

Hutton - Tryamkin

Pedan - Subban/Stecher/Sergachev

Subban/Stecher/Sergachev for depth

5 years from now:

Sergachev - Gudbranson

Hutton - Tryamkin

Pedan - Subban/Stecher

Subban/Stecher etc.

I'm down with that backend.

and the fact that Sergachev is able to play the right side also gives more pairing options

Sergachev Tanev

Hutton - Guddy

Tryamkin - Stecher

Subban

Tryamkin - Sergachev (similar to his Stanley pairing this year)

Hutton - Guddy

Pedan - Stecher

Subban

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

and the fact that Sergachev is able to play the right side also gives more pairing options

Sergachev Tanev

Hutton - Guddy

Tryamkin - Stecher

Subban

Tryamkin - Sergachev (similar to his Stanley pairing this year)

Hutton - Guddy

Pedan - Stecher

Subban

I like your second lineup much more than your first. If Tryamkin develops into a solid top 4 he should be given as many minutes as he can eat up. Tryamkin - Sergachev would be a pleasure to watch. KGB twin towers. Nobody is getting close to the crease.

Alas, one can dream but then again Dubois and Tkachuk would be very valuable for the forward group too. One thing is for sure, we shouldn't spend assets on moving up in the draft. 

Archived