The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Yelchin, Star Trek actor, dies in car accident at age 27

Mikey2Dope

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/jun/19/anton-yelchin-star-trek-actor-dies-car-crash

Anton Yelchin, Star Trek actor, dies in car accident at age 27

Anton Yelchin

Anton Yelchin, a charismatic rising star best known for playing Chekov in the rebooted Star Trek films, has died at the age of 27. He was killed in a fatal traffic accident early on Sunday morning, his publicist, Jennifer Allen, confirmed.

According to reports, Yelchin’s friends alerted police when he failed to turn up to a rehearsal scheduled to start on Saturday evening. They then discovered the actor in his driveway at around 1am. No other vehicles are thought to have been involved and the cause of death is being reported as accidental.

Jenny Houser, a spokesperson for the LAPD, told the The Hollywood Reporter: “It appears he momentarily exited his car and it rolled backward, causing trauma that led to his death.”

Yelchin was an actor whose stock-in-trade was sweetness and even naiveté: his career began young, in small films and TV series, before he broke out in 2006 with crime thriller Alpha Dog and the following year as Robert Downey Jr’s troubled pupil in Charlie Bartlett. In 2011, he starred opposite Felicity Jones in Like Crazy – the transatlantic romance which won both audience and jury awards at the Sundance film festival, as well as playing Mel Gibson’s son in Jodie Foster’s The Beaver, released the same year.

But it was as mathematical brainbox Pavel Chekov in the new set of Star Trek films that Yelchin first came to mainstream attention. In JJ Abrams’ critically and commercially successful 2009 Star Trek, and the 2013 followup, the actor won acclaim for an innocence and humour that characterised many of his roles. A third film, Star Trek: Beyond, is due out in July.

Paramount Pictures, the studio behind the franchise, said that they joined “the world in morning the untimely passing of Antony Yelchin. As a member of the Star Trek family, he was beloved by so many and he will missed by all. We share our deepest condolences with his mother, father and family.”

His Star Trek co-star, John Cho, tweeted that he was “in ruins” at the news of Yelchin’s death.

Despite his age, Yelchin had managed to carve out a career which balanced blockbusters with credible independent movies. Speaking to the Guardian in 2009 to promote blockbuster Terminator Salvation, Yelchin said: “What I watch and what I work on are different.”

Anton Yelchin: 'This is a Terminator movie – we're gonna have a good time'

His own taste veered more towards the films of directors such as Michael Haneke, Lars von Trier and Pedro Almodovar, as well as Martin Scorsese and Jim Jarmusch, in whose 2013 vampire romance Only Lovers Left Alive Yelchin went on to take a role.

Earlier this year, he won much acclaim for his role in ensemble horror Green Room.

An only child, Yelchin was born in Russia in 1989. His parents were professional figure skaters who moved the family to the United States when Yelchin was a baby. Yelchin’s family has requested privacy at this time.

Tributes to the actor began appearing on Twitter shortly after reports broke. Anna Kendrick called his death a “huge loss” while Matt Lucas called it “dreadful news” and Kevin Smith described it as “so damn sad”.

Like Crazy director Drake Doremus has also shared his memories of working with Yelchin.

“Anton was one of a kind,” he told Variety. “Such an old soul who was one of the most sincere but also funniest people I have ever met. Anton changed my life in so many ways and I’ll never forget him.”

Amongst Yelchin’s upcoming projects was Baseballissimo, a sports comedy set in Italy during the second world war. Its writer and Yelchin’s co-star, Jay Baruchel, wrote of his shock and sadness over the sudden loss of someone he “call[ed] my friend for the better part of the last decade”.

Yelchin was also due to take a voice part in Guillermo del Toro’s upcoming TV series Trollhunters. The director said the actor was “a great creative partner and artist.”

K, I just don't get this.  How does someone forget to put a car in park or set a parking brake when you are on an incline?  I've read tonnes of comments online that people seem to forget all the time.  Do they not teach this anymore when you get your license?

14 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

K, I just don't get this.  How does someone forget to put a car in park or set a parking brake when you are on an incline?  I've read tonnes of comments online that people seem to forget all the time.  Do they not teach this anymore when you get your license?

I think there was a recall on Jeep Cherokee's (his car) that had to do with this issue.

16 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

maybe god is taking the celebrities before the end of the times lol sorry bad joke. Yeah but its life, we are all going to go, just this month lots of celebrities ppl with high profile are leaving the world. It's a odd month, but its life.

Explains why the Beebs and Kayne are still here.

16 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

You really put your e brake on every time you leave your car? Putting your transmission in Park is what most people do. Unless of course it's a manual transmission. 

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎19 at 1:50 PM, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

maybe god is taking the celebrities before the end of the times lol sorry bad joke. Yeah but its life, we are all going to go, just this month lots of celebrities ppl with high profile are leaving the world. It's a odd month, but its life.

So I guess Meatloaf was on the catch and release program?

Archived