The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 minutes ago, nzan said:

And Karlsson in Stecher, and Subban in Subban

Yoppeee, Yappeee, and Yahooeee!!!  We'd be winners for sure.

Juiolevi does look really good though.  He's a very smart player, with size and skill.  Maybe he's Tanev with offence?

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

5th,

We may disagree but we are both fans. Your tend to compare our prospects with others, not long after their drafted.  It may be a trigger for posters like myself.  

I dont think its constructive to compare picks before a certain amount of time has passed, roughly 5 years.  That allows for different development paths, growth rates and different organizational needs. 

We don't need to butt heads, I would much rather talk to you about the latest interview Jake had in Utica, talking about how much he is learning from his linemates on how to prepare and approach the pro game.  

To me, it is a positive bit of news, and offers some insight to how Jake and coach Green are approaching his time in Utica. As this organization seems to want to do, they will make everyone a responsible two way player, or you will never see time on the big club. 

It it is a sound strategy when you are not going to be getting 1st OA picks. Barring pulling a Jets from last year and winning the lotto, we at best will be in the 7-12 range for a pick. OK, good players to had there, but currently no expected game breakers. 

Enter Jake, who has attibutes that that can make him a good two way player, so does literally every player JB is targeting.  Stylistically JB is losing entertainment value, but it may pay great dividends, especially considering our strengths in prospects in goal and defence.  We only need one or two scoring wingers to be really effective in a defence first system.  

OJ fits prefectly with that model. His being drafted addresses a lot of gaps with our current d corps. What is really lacking is a good transition game, OJ's strength and all we have on the big club is Stecher Doing that. 

If JB builds a rough and ready team that can role 4 lines with solid up and down goal scoring ability, with a solid defence and great goaltending, welcome to the Minnesota Wild of this year. 

It may not be the favoured method to win a cup, but both Boston and LA won with a similar team model. 

It's also the path available.  Jake fits in with that plan, if he can be rebuilt in Utica.  Yes his progression is disappointing at face value, but the saga isn't over yet. 

EW

sorry talking more about Jake in a OJ thread. Forgot where I was.  

Many are throwing Minny out as an example of a defense first team with mega offensive upside. I would throw Columbus into that conversation as well. Both team have size up front and both can play a heavy game. Both are built for CUP play IMHO. Canucks are not close with their forward group. 

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Many are throwing Minny out as an example of a defense first team with mega offensive upside. I would throw Columbus into that conversation as well. Both team have size up front and both can play a heavy game. Both are built for CUP play IMHO. Canucks are not close with their forward group. 

Forward group is still very much a work in progress. After seeing how Benning and Co transformed our D core in a couple seasons, I'm excited to see what they do the next couple years with more focus on the forward group.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Forward group is still very much a work in progress. After seeing how Benning and Co transformed our D core in a couple seasons, I'm excited to see what they do the next couple years with more focus on the forward group.

We already have a few nice pieces coming up (Boeser, Gaudette etc). If we can land Patrick/Hischier this year as well as grab another 1st I think we'll be on a good pace to be contenders in the Sedins last season. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

We already have a few nice pieces coming up (Boeser, Gaudette etc). If we can land Patrick/Hischier this year as well as grab another 1st I think we'll be on a good pace to be contenders in the Sedins last season. 

Well I don't know about that last part. Hischier will almost certainly stay in junior or go to Utica if we do manage to luck out on the lotto and draft him.

Gaudette, Lockwood etc are still likely a couple years away and Boeser will likely be in a middle 6 role next season if he makes the team.

With the right trades etc... it certainly possible but I wouldn't call it likely. I do think we'll likely be slightly better than this year though. A bit more youth/talent injected and more/better depth in Utica should mean both teams do better next year.

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Agree with Columbus, both they and Minny have been really good this year. It would be a good model for JB to watch. 

We are definitely not close to what they have, but in all honesty they weren't really close until this year either. It built up over a number of seasons and now it is paying off. 

EW

4 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Wait, this isn't true at all.  Virtually every list had Juolevi 6th to 8th.  Almost no one had him higher.  And, almost no one had Juolevi higher than Tkachuk either.  Even the people from the Knights thought Tkachuck was the clear winner between the two.  When we look back on it in 10 years, we are going to be kicking ourselves...

I remember posting it was down to OJ, PLD and Tkachuk with Chychurn as he dark horse. I wanted PLD.  Could you imagine the CDC outrage if we took him and have Tkachuk doing so well... 

EW

7 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Wait, this isn't true at all.  Virtually every list had Juolevi 6th to 8th.  Almost no one had him higher.  And, almost no one had Juolevi higher than Tkachuk either.  Even the people from the Knights thought Tkachuck was the clear winner between the two.  When we look back on it in 10 years, we are going to be kicking ourselves...

I was hoping for Tkachuk but expecting Juolevi due to our defensive prospect pool looking pretty thin, not to mention drafting the top dman in a draft is also pretty enticing. It's a pick I've learned to accept and has grown on me even with MT's early success. Half a season does make a career. While I wasn't initially on board with the pick, and even dropped a few WTF's when it was made, I find it hard to believe that if OJ turns into the top pairing dman that many hope he can become, Calgary may end up be the one's disappointed that we didn't take MT and let OJ drop to them. The kid is having a good solid season, but is by no means lighting the world on fire. 

Edited by canucklehead80

18 hours ago, Pears said:

We have a Granlund!  We also have Baer, Bo and Gaunce. All will be good pieces to build a solid four line team. 

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

London vs Kitchener, just tuned in. Missed the 1st.

Be nice to see something special from Juolevi.

Juiolevi is not that type of player.  He is good, but in a subtle way: good positioning, excellent first pass.  That kind of stuff.