The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

10 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Figured as much. Team captain with 2 big early goals.

Yeah, and he would’ve had the hat trick if that Swiss player hadn’t have scored the own goal off Pettersson’s setup. 

Andersson played great. Deserved the PotG nod. Dominik Egli for the Swiss.

And Joona Koppanen gets the honours for Finland. Alex Tamasi for Slovakia.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Autocorrect named Alex Tomasi (26yo Italian goalie) as the Slovak PotG.
  • Thanks 1

Good game by Juolevi, Comes as advertised. Solid with the puck whether he is back being forechecked, making breakout passes, small passes in the neutral zone or making plays in the O zone or on the PP. 

You can notice how he has learned to use his size by getting body position on the boards and winning board battles, a few times he completely eliminated a forward on the boards allowing his teammates to grab the puck and go up the ice. Definitely NHL level defensive plays. 

One thing I would nitpick about his game that may limit his effectiveness as an NHL player is his footspeed. He doesn't seem to have a great first few steps. I noticed a few times how much slower he was when racing for a puck or that one time he almost got beat wide. He just doesn't really have quick feet, he's excellent at reading the play and getting to where he needs to be by using his elite hockey sense and smooth skating but when faced with scrambly play or needing to make quick movements he is a little slow. People like to compare him to Tanev but Tanev has much quicker feet and can get to where he needs to be a lot quicker.  

Liked his game though, just a solid overall game and if he has one weakness in my eyes in slightly slow feet.

Edited by Ihatetomatoes
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Good game by Juolevi, Comes as advertised. Solid with the puck whether he is back being forechecked, making breakout passes, small passes in the neutral zone or making plays in the O zone or on the PP. 

You can notice how he has learned to use his size by getting body on the boards and winning board battles, a few time he completely elimated a forward on the boards allowing his teammates to grab the puck and go up the ice. Definitely NHL level defensive plays. 

One thing I would nitpick about his game that may limit his effectiveness as an NHL player is his footspeed. He doesn't seem to have a great first few steps. I noticed a few times how much slower he was when racing for a puck or that one time he almost got beat wide. He just doesn't really have quick feet, he's excellent at reading the play and getting to where he needs to be by using his elite hockey sense and smooth skating but when faced with scrambly play or needing to make quick movements he is a little slow. People like to compare him to Tanev but Tanev has much quicker feet and can get to where he needs to be a lot quicker.  

Liked his game though, just a solid overall game and if he has one weakness in my eyes in slighly slow feet.

Olli is rated an 81 overall in my NHL 18 be a gm at the trade deadline in season 1. i am super excited to have him next season in my franchise mode. ^^  glad he wears 7 now. wont need to stress about del zotto stealing his #.  7 looks great on him to boot.

Olli is definitely underrated. im glad hes starting to settle in. i think we may see more of him come the elimination games.

Edited by Rush17

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

You can notice how he has learned to use his size by getting body on the boards and winning board battles, a few time he completely elimated a forward on the boards allowing his teammates to grab the puck and go up the ice. Definitely NHL level defensive plays. 

Liked his game though, just a solid overall game and if he has one weakness in my eyes in slighly slow feet.

I noticed that foot speed on a couple plays as well. Then I saw a quick burst three steps from a guy and then noticed it was OJ. Hopefully just inconsistent with it. 

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

I noticed that foot speed on a couple plays as well. Then I saw a quick burst three steps from a guy and then noticed it was OJ. Hopefully just inconsistent with it. 

i could tell when he was on the ice with his latteral movements towards the boards when receiving a pass. he has a very different skating style then the others. argubly more efficient skating going side to side on zone exits.  he was and is by far and away the best finnish defensive minded d man so far in this event.  the other d men are getting scored on and giving up lot of opportunities. on some weak plays even. good team play tho. i believe finland has a chance at gold. but i believe juolevis usage may be a big factor.  heskanian had some bad moments out there. hes good offensively tho.

48 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

i could tell when he was on the ice with his latteral movements towards the boards when receiving a pass. he has a very different skating style then the others. argubly more efficient skating going side to side on zone exits.  he was and is by far and away the best finnish defensive minded d man so far in this event.  the other d men are getting scored on and giving up lot of opportunities. on some weak plays even. good team play tho. i believe finland has a chance at gold. but i believe juolevis usage may be a big factor.  heskanian had some bad moments out there. hes good offensively tho.

I agree OJ was by far Finland's best D. He goes side to side and his pivots look effortless. Head always up. Not very physical. But modern D aren't that physical. 

Edited by rekker

44 minutes ago, rekker said:

That was one of the things I noticed in last years tourney, he's up to speed in two to three steps.

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

Of course he is solid

but when u draft top 5 there are expectations on GMs and the players selected.

Some unrealistic and impatient fans want an nhl ready player who can contribute in the draft +1 or +2 years with franchise player potential. 

Of course all player trajectories are different. Case in point- compare Sean couturier and Mark Scheifle. For many years WPG fans thought Cheveldayoff had crapped the bed on that pick. 

FIFY

• Cheers 1

I'm sure this has been said already on this thread, but to me he plays like a young Boss Tanev.

Nothing wrong with this at all for a young player to be considered as such. This tourney shows he's exactly as advertised...and that's a good thing.

So I'm still good with the pick, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was kind of hoping to get a more dynamic player at #5...regardless of position. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

I'm sure this has been said already on this thread, but to me he plays like a young Boss Tanev.

Nothing wrong with this at all for a young player to be considered as such. This tourney shows he's exactly as advertised...and that's a good thing.

So I'm still good with the pick, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was kind of hoping to get a more dynamic player at #5...regardless of position. 

tanev was kind of in between regimes, so at least this version of tanev will completely be a part of the new nucleus. i suspect he might have a little more athleticism with the potential for a higher ceiling offensively if salo can show him anything about scoring goals. if only he could hit like ohlund. i don't know how much jb knows but if we are going to land dahlin then olli makes perfect sense

Edited by granpappy

39 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Much better and more noticeable game for Juolevi today. Was great on the PP. Made 2 fantastic passes, one leading to a goal. Had a great chance to score in the slot as well.

More games like this one and I'm happy.

believe tonight was the first night a goal was scored with him on the ice so far this tourney. thats pretty impressive if true.  i only saw play by play packages so am not 100% sure on that. 

On 12/29/2017 at 8:20 AM, higgyfan said:

Tkachuk is nothing like those other guys. 

That is correct, hes like his father , was just saying....the way hockey is going, people like tkachuk are VERY rare ( so when players like him are avail, id jump at it if i could ) ...which is why i listed those other peeps ( hitters, tough guys and players who will protect the scorers ) ...to show how hockey has changed over the years, and im not saying for the good either.

• Upvote 1