The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Their decision to pick Heiskanen over Juolevi was not based on one tournament. Just because oj was better over the course of 6-7 games does not mean he deserves to be on the Olympic team. 

Heiskanen has more upside in their eyes so they selected him. Thats most likely as deep as that decision goes. 

Lets get over ourselves. 

12 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Their decision to pick Heiskanen over Juolevi was not based on one tournament. Just because oj was better over the course of 6-7 games does not mean he deserves to be on the Olympic team. 

Heiskanen has more upside in their eyes so they selected him. Thats most likely as deep as that decision goes. 

Lets get over ourselves. 

You dont pick a player for a tournament like this based on upside, they probably were looking to add offense from the back end and thought heiskanen could fill a role they needed on their team better than Juolevi. Not sure if they made the right choice but who knows injuries happen. If he is 7th or 8th dman, it might be better to play more in finland anyways.

This reminds me of when Mikael Samuelsson was dissed by the Swedish team when they didn't invite him in 2010. From what I remember he was pissed, saying Sweden could go F themselves lol.

Maybe Olli does the same and says "F-you Finland". Hoping he makes the Canucks next year.

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This reminds me of when Mikael Samuelsson was dissed by the Swedish team when they didn't invite him in 2010. From what I remember he was pissed, saying Sweden could go F themselves lol.

Maybe Olli does the same and says "F-you Finland". Hoping he makes the Canucks next year.

Thanks for reminding me about that. That was funny back then. Samuelson was another injured Canuck who may have made a difference in 2011. Frak.

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hoping he goes on a tear like Kole show them that they made a mistake by playing like a phenom he has the tools best of all he has it between his ears.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Maybe he just isn't good enough to make the team?  

How come every time someone doesn't make a team it's politics?  Is the whole planet against the Vancouver Canucks?

Probably because this is a Canucks forum. If it were another team's forum, from what I can see, the response will be the same. "Cursed"..."Everybody has it out for us"..."Underappreciated"...ad nauseam.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yep and it's one of my biggest pet peeves.  I even hear Oilers fans say "the league continuously screws us over"..... 

When I'm starting to get depressed about how badly the Canucks are doing, I sometimes visit other teams' boards and after reading the hilarious comments there, I start feeling better. :P

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I do the same.  The edmonton 1260 post game show after an Oilers loss always cheers me up

Same here in calgary. Nothing makes me happier than turning into fan 960 in Calgary after a flames home loss and hearing the fans call in and whine.  

It's either "Blow it all up", "Fire everyone" or "the refs screwed us"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Can anyone tell me if Players with ELCs are not eligible for the Olympics? Was A little surprised that Olli was left off the Olympic team and Miro made it. I'm only surprised because right now Olli is having A slightly better season. That being said I expect Miro to be A stud further down the line as well as Olli. 

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You can't base the decision off just the WJC as Heiskanen was playing through an injury and still lead team Finland in ice time.  

For sure. I didn't mean to imply Heiskanen isn't a top flight prospect. He is for sure.

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just re: Heiskanen vs Juolevi, worth noting that Heiskanen is playing 25 minutes a game for HIFK and has been their #1D all season. Juolevi is averaging 18 minutes this season with TPS, and while he’s arguably their most talented D, he’s not considered their #1 and usually plays somewhat sheltered on the second pairing.

Based on the larger sample of the Liiga season (versus the WJC), the choice is pretty clear.

Not to mention Heiskanen being considered the higher upside/pedigree prospect.

None of this is meant as criticism of Juolevi. He’s been great and he’s developing really well. I’d certainly support the idea that he’s good enough to make the Finnish team. But I wouldn’t put him ahead of Heiskanen.

How dare you say something sensible and factual. Lol.

6 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You can't base the decision off just the WJC as Heiskanen was playing through an injury and still lead team Finland in ice time.  

Where did I say that the selection was based on the WJC?  I am not daft, and quote the whole post in future please. 

What I was getting at was that folks were speculating why OJ was left off in favour of Heis.  That their league play was relatively equal, and OJ had a better tourney. 

I don’t select the finish team, but some speculation as to why one over the other is fair, added to that, OJ was tarnished by last year’s WJC drama. 

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just re: Heiskanen vs Juolevi, worth noting that Heiskanen is playing 25 minutes a game for HIFK and has been their #1D all season. Juolevi is averaging 18 minutes this season with TPS, and while he’s arguably their most talented D, he’s not considered their #1 and usually plays somewhat sheltered on the second pairing.

Based on the larger sample of the Liiga season (versus the WJC), the choice is pretty clear.

Not to mention Heiskanen being considered the higher upside/pedigree prospect.

None of this is meant as criticism of Juolevi. He’s been great and he’s developing really well. I’d certainly support the idea that he’s good enough to make the Finnish team. But I wouldn’t put him ahead of Heiskanen.

Fair point. 

I thought that in recent months OJ had elevated his play and the Heis had tapered off. 

All in all this is not a big deal. Not making the Olympic team at 19/20 years old.  So what. 

14 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’d say demko would be the most important. A franchise goalie can single handedly change a season. 

I disagree,

Not saying that Demko isn’t also important, but who moves the puck out of the zone after he makes the save?  

Our transition game is pathetic and without it, we get hemmed in.  Whether we loose 5-2 or 1-0 we still loose.  

Its been a wile since a franchise goalie single handily won a cup. Thomas had Chara and The refs, Quick had Doughty, Kieth had whoever, Crosby and Malkin could win with an AHL goalie.  Brouduer had Nedimyer and Stevens etc.

You would have to go back 86’ when Roy took the Habs to the cup to find a winner with a goalie as the only true star.  

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Where did I say that the selection was based on the WJC?  I am not daft, and quote the whole post in future please. 

What I was getting at was that folks were speculating why OJ was left off in favour of Heis.  That their league play was relatively equal, and OJ had a better tourney. 

I don’t select the finish team, but some speculation as to why one over the other is fair, added to that, OJ was tarnished by last year’s WJC drama. 

Their league play has been equal? On what basis are you making that claim off of, points? 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 1