The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I find the smartest GMs are those on CDC about two to three years after any given draft.    

I think most people at the time wanted Matthew Tkachuk at the time. I don't think hindsight has changed much since.

Plus wouldn't Matthew Tkachuk look good now scoring and standing up for the team and players like Petterson.

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think most people at the time wanted Matthew Tkachuk at the time. I don't think hindsight has changed much since.

Plus wouldn't Matthew Tkachuk look good now scoring and standing up for the team and players like Petterson.

Go ahead and revise history if you like.   The Canucks were all in on Dubois but then were after their consensus top Dman once Blue Jackets went an unexpected direction.    From what I can gather, Canucks had Dubois, Nylander, Juolevi, Sergachev and perhaps McAvoy too ahead of MT for a myriad of reasons.    You can debate those now and you can claim you were right and remain so - good for you!   

tenor.gif?itemid=5169901

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

Hind sight everyone wanted someone else we got what we got now we are going to pick in the bottom 16 around  15th to 20th  so bounced in the first round unless we play Calgary . Be a good character builder anyways. So no lottery pick.   Develop what we got . We will look back at this year as a critical step forward or mistake one or the other.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Lol how can you claim someone else is revising history when you go and then claim to know what the Canucks drafting plan was?

I KNOW who they drafted and they have stated the Dubois then D route themselves - rest is chatter so is what "I" know but I only offer it up as opinion for you or anyone else to take as you please.   The FACTS are who they drafted AND who they said they were looking at (Dubois and OJ/Dman), the rest is speculation and you can choose to believe what you want but the point to the other poster was that not "EVERYBODY" wanted to draft MT.    You likely did too, so good for you too!   :)

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Would LOVE to get in and play Calgary in the first (or second ;) )round, probably the team we have the best shot against in that upper echelon.  If we got the better goaltending it could be very close.  At the very least, we'd give them a very hard time and put a scare into them.

I don’t. As much as I love beating them I’m not super confident that we’d come out on top in that series, there D and depth is too good.

Add in Living in Calgary and losing to them is almost unbearable. Once Canucks have a little more cooking under their belt. Then Bring it on. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don’t. As much as I love beating them I’m not super confident that we’d come out on top in that series, there D and depth is too good.

Add in Living in Calgary and losing to them is almost unbearable. Once Canucks have a little more cooking under their belt. Then Bring it on. 

it would be like 89 when the flames team was stacked and the Canucks work bucket crew took them to 7th game OT.

Even in '94 Canucks were the underdogs.

Shut down the gnome, stay out of the penalty box and hope for the best.  Yeah, easier said than done...I know...

• Cheers 1

Sometimes you get lucky - Pettersson, Boeser, Gaudette, Demko, DiPietro, Hughes, Woo, Madden, Lockwood, Rathbone

Sometimes you don't - Juolevi, Zhukenov

I'll reserve judgment on Virtanen, Brisebois, Jasek, Lind, Gadjovich and Palmu. Jake is an NHLer, but he's a slow developer and still needs to improve a lot to be worthy of the #6 pick. The others? We'll see if any of them become full time NHLers. That isn't guaranteed.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

We're going to be underdogs no matter what, but as mentioned, I think we match up best against them of any top-rung opponents.  Plus it will only underline how we've surpassed and made foolish the prognostications of all the "experts" before the season began. 

Beating them isn't even really the goal, just to make it there and give them a rough and challenging ride, which will also be a springboard into next season.  It would not only give invaluable experience to our kids, them watching how our vets handle things, but will also be a measuring stick to see where we're at and how far we have to go.  IMO it's all gold no matter the result.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sometimes you get lucky - Pettersson, Boeser, Gaudette, Demko, DiPietro, Hughes, Woo, Madden, Lockwood, Rathbone

Sometimes you don't - Juolevi, Zhukenov

I'll reserve judgment on Virtanen, Brisebois, Jasek, Lind, Gadjovich and Palmu. Jake is an NHLer, but he's a slow developer and still needs to improve a lot to be worthy of the #6 pick. The others? We'll see if any of them become full time NHLers. That isn't guaranteed.

Juiolevi is going to be an important top four D man for us during the coming decade.  He is a steady, puck moving guy.  He is high IQ.  We are lucky to have him.   

• Haha 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Juiolevi is going to be an important top four D man for us during the coming decade.  He is a steady, puck moving guy.  He is high IQ.  We are lucky to have him.   

I can't wait to see that. I know he's got a high hockey IQ, and plays a calm, responsible game, but for the supposed best Dman in that draft, he sure is taking a long time to find his way. Now he's got the injury bug, one after the other. I'll gladly change my opinion if he makes strides and challenges for a spot on the team. He's not there yet. Maybe in another year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Beating them isn't even really the goal, just to make it there and give them a rough and challenging ride, which will also be a springboard into next season. 

It is when you are surrounded by flames fans.  Which is my point. I’m all for getting kids the experience in post season but I’d much rather gain that experience at the result of ANY other team. First in 04 then in 2015. Can’t have another one. I’d prefer to not see them in post season until we are further developed. 

38 minutes ago, Darius said:

it would be like 89 when the flames team was stacked and the Canucks work bucket crew took them to 7th game OT.

Even in '94 Canucks were the underdogs.

Shut down the gnome, stay out of the penalty box and hope for the best.  Yeah, easier said than done...I know...

Except they are the deepest team in the league. No other team has 5 50+ point producers right now. There D is top 5. They have a loaded top 6 and if Neal ever regains his playoff magic, no thanks. There one weakness could be goaltending. But then again it’s less of a weakness and more of an unknown. 

Canucks rely far to much on Petty. When the whistle starts to get put away it becomes an easier match up. Exspecially with them getting last change. Let’s sneak into playoffs. Give the preds a run for there money like the avs did against them and call that a win. If we win awesome. If we loose. Well pred fans in Canada seem to be more humble. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I KNOW who they drafted and they have stated the Dubois then D route themselves - rest is chatter so is what "I" know but I only offer it up as opinion for you or anyone else to take as you please.   The FACTS are who they drafted AND who they said they were looking at (Dubois and OJ/Dman), the rest is speculation and you can choose to believe what you want but the point to the other poster was that not "EVERYBODY" wanted to draft MT.    You likely did too, so good for you too!   :)

Lol! All good Rob, everybody has an opinion i agree :)

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I can't wait to see that. I know he's got a high hockey IQ, and plays a calm, responsible game, but for the supposed best Dman in that draft, he sure is taking a long time to find his way. Now he's got the injury bug, one after the other. I'll gladly change my opinion if he makes strides and challenges for a spot on the team. He's not there yet. Maybe in another year. 

Yea... he seems to be following the same development path as Griffin Reinhart, unfortunately.