The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

9 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

I have a good feeling we will win A LOTTERY assuming we can finish 28th again. 

Please canucks.. Dont have that stupid winning streak at the end of the season just like last year... 

Assuming we win #1, who would u pick. Nolan or that Hischier kid. 

Patrick. If we don't feel confident in picking him, we can always trade down with teams that need a leader like him say Avs, Yotes, Vegas and make them surrender their 1st next year. If not, ask for their Top level prospects. As I mentioned in the thread before, Patrick is compared to Staal, Getzlaf by many hockey analysts. We haven't had a player of that caliber since Kesler left. He also protects his teammates by fighting them. Great leader also and tells his teammates where they should be. Ideal A behind Bo who will be our future captain.

Edited by Beary Sweet

2 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Patrick. If we don't feel confident in picking him, we can always trade down with teams that need a leader like him say Avs, Yotes, Vegas and make them surrender their 1st next year. If not, ask for their Top level prospects. As I mentioned in the thread before, Patrick is compared to Staal, Getzlaf by many hockey analysts. We haven't had a player of that caliber since Kesler left. He also protects his teammates by fighting team. Great leader also and tells his teammates where they should be. Ideal A behind Bo who will be our future captain.

Patrick makes me nervous if I'm being honest :ph34r: I'd highly consider trading down to #2 and getting Hischier+

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

I have a good feeling we will win A LOTTERY assuming we can finish 28th again. 

Please canucks.. Dont have that stupid winning streak at the end of the season just like last year... 

Assuming we win #1, who would u pick. Nolan or that Hischier kid. 

considering jb wants to add skill especially on the wing. if it's close between hischer and Patrick maybe he goes hischer.  hischers ability to do stuff at speed is nuts.  he could possibly keep up with McDavid. have 2 wait and see.

hischer is Bure 2.0 :)

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Patrick. If we don't feel confident in picking him, we can always trade down with teams that need a leader like him say Avs, Yotes, Vegas and make them surrender their 1st next year. If not, ask for their Top level prospects. As I mentioned in the thread before, Patrick is compared to Staal, Getzlaf by many hockey analysts. We haven't had a player of that caliber since Kesler left. He also protects his teammates by fighting them. Great leader also and tells his teammates where they should be. Ideal A behind Bo who will be our future captain.

18 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

considering jb wants to add skill especially on the wing. if it's close between hischer and Patrick maybe he goes hischer.  hischers ability to do stuff at speed is nuts.  he could possibly keep up with McDavid. have 2 wait and see.

hischer is Bure 2.0 :)

I really don't want Benning to off the board. That means Patrick if the Canucks win the lottery and Hirschier if they come second. I don't think any team would be foolish enough to give up a lot to move up to #1 and get Patrick (depending on what pick they start with). But if the Canucks could trade #1 overall for another pick in the top 6 or so this year and a first next year (likely to be another high first round pick), then I would certainly favor it.

But obviously getting one of the top 2 picks is unlikely (maybe 20% to get one of them at this stage) and the #3 pick goes to Vegas. So it is likely that the Canucks will be picking in the 4 to 10 range. They might be tempted to go with Rasmussen. I could see him at 9 or 10 but not higher.

And the Canucks should take the BPA and not worry about position or style of play at this stage. That is Benning's general strategy and is what I think he will do. ..

14 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I really don't want Benning to off the board. That means Patrick if the Canucks win the lottery and Hirschier if they come second. I don't think any team would be foolish enough to give up a lot to move up to #1 and get Patrick (depending on what pick they start with). But if the Canucks could trade #1 overall for another pick in the top 6 or so this year and a first next year (likely to be another high first round pick), then I would certainly favor it.

But obviously getting one of the top 2 picks is unlikely (maybe 20% to get one of them at this stage) and the #3 pick goes to Vegas. So it is likely that the Canucks will be picking in the 4 to 10 range. They might be tempted to go with Rasmussen. I could see him at 9 or 10 but not higher.

And the Canucks should take the BPA and not worry about position or style of play at this stage. That is Benning's general strategy and is what I think he will do. ..

One head scout was saying that they are so close that it will come down to preference - he had Hischier ahead because he sees him as more dynamic.  Pronman gave the same reason for ranking him 1st over Patrick.  

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Patrick makes me nervous if I'm being honest :ph34r: I'd highly consider trading down to #2 and getting Hischier+

Believe there has been a lot of injury issues? If that is the case, Hischier should probably be taken, however can't really afford not to go for either if the opportunity for it is there. See someone saying Hischier is Bure 2.0... Can anyone else confirm this, as 6 month ago everyone was saying it is a poor draft year, and it does not sound like that to me?

22 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

Not really worried about Patrick's injury history. I do question his offensive game though. Any comparisons, guys?

Why do you question his Offence? 

He isnt McJesus, but he would be our top scorer in a couple years easy. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

I would probably think about doing the same since we would be getting some valuable assets back but if Patrick goes on to have a HOF career, then we might end up regretting trading the pick. Also think this is much different situation than what had happened with Stefan draft. Patrick will be a great player. He might not be as good as Hischier but he will be a solid 2C behind Bo.  They could form a formidable force and could be very dominant

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Believe there has been a lot of injury issues? If that is the case, Hischier should probably be taken, however can't really afford not to go for either if the opportunity for it is there. See someone saying Hischier is Bure 2.0... Can anyone else confirm this, as 6 month ago everyone was saying it is a poor draft year, and it does not sound like that to me?

Personally, I think Hischier has an Ehlers type of offensive talent, but is slightly more responsible of a player being a C. Thus, he isn't going to lead this team right out of the gate, as it will still take a few years for him to have a major impact. Nolan Patrick probably has Leon Draisaitl potential. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Personally, I think Hischier has an Ehlers type of offensive talent, but is slightly more responsible of a player being a C. Thus, he isn't going to lead this team right out of the gate, as it will still take a few years for him to have a major impact. Nolan Patrick probably has Leon Draisaitl potential. 

Nolan Patrick is consistently injured though.  do we know why this is? is he rushing back to quick, bad team advice, or just injury prone?

45 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

I would probably think about doing the same since we would be getting some valuable assets back but if Patrick goes on to have a HOF career, then we might end up regretting trading the pick. Also think this is much different situation than what had happened with Stefan draft. Patrick will be a great player. He might not be as good as Hischier but he will be a solid 2C behind Bo.  They could form a formidable force and could be very dominant

Still think I'd prefer Hischier who could also be a very good #2 behind Horvat.

12 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Does anyone know exactly how good or bad Hischier's defensive game is? I had heard that it was very good, but I've also heard that he's more of a pure offense player. 

He's not Toews. But for an 18 year old, offensive player, he's definitely capable.