The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

5 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'm hoping that Liljegren falls to us if we aren't in the top 3. It looks like it could be a possibility and it would be huge for us if we could get a prospect like that outside the top 3. Our D-core would be set with a great mix of offensive puck movers and big, stay at home guys.

This is getting extremely optimistic, but if we draft Liljegren this year, maybe we could offer a package including him for 1st overall next year and land Dahlin. Something like Liljegren + 1st 2018 + Boeser. Liljegren would be an elite offensive defenseman that they pass up in Dahlin, and they also get 2 other very good pieces. This is a hypothetical situation that could only happen if another hypothetical situation actually happens, so it is extremely unlikely.

I've thought about the nightmare that is drafting for need because I felt like we did that when we drafted Juolevi over Tkachuk. Now that we have Juolevi and some other young guys turning it up like Stetcher, Tryamkin and Hutton I can see management being in the 5 spot and passing on Liljigren because we really need highly skilled forward prospects.

6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Hoping for a top 3 pick! Patrick, Hischier and Liljigren in that order come on lottery!!! Also adding another pick in the teens for Elias Petterson who I think is being massively overlooked to this point. Leading his mens team in points and almost a ppg is outstanding for the league he plays in for his age. The next Nicklas Backstrom.

I like your style

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I said FAILING not FAILED.  He is failing right now, simply by looking at his stat line any monkey can see that he is FAILING.  You guys are still trying to argue this?  He's in his draft +3  This isn't his first year

At least Sam Bennet is doing poorly in Calgary, meanwhile Virtanen is doing poorly in the Minor Leagues.  Dal Colle?  If Virtanen is doing just fine then I would consider Dal Colle a superstar.  His point totals are much better than Jake's

Oh ok....so you just look at a guys stats and determine he is failing. How do you know he is failing in the minors? Oh that's right coz you looked up his stats....K. ..gotcha.

• Upvote 1

If we trade Tanev for a forward, I would definitely take Liljegren if he's on the board when we draft (assuming Patrick and Hischier are already taken). It isn't the sexy pick but it would further solidify the defense for the next decade with two potential "top-pairing" d pairs. Tryamkin, Liljegren, and Juolevi all have #1D as their ceiling and have really high floors as a #2D or #3D considering their skillsets.

Tryamkin - Liljegren

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Hutton - Stecher

Brisebois/McEneny - Subban

Then draft forward-heavy the next few years.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

If we trade Tanev for a forward, I would definitely take Liljegren if he's on the board when we draft (assuming Patrick and Hischier are already taken). It isn't the sexy pick but it would further solidify the defense for the next decade with two potential "top-pairing" d pairs. Tryamkin, Liljegren, and Juolevi all have #1D as their ceiling and have really high floors as a #2D or #3D considering their skillsets.

Tryamkin - Liljegren

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Hutton - Stecher

Brisebois/McEneny - Subban

Then draft forward-heavy the next few years.

I thought I heard something about Hischier having work ethic issues and Liljegren not being able to defend at all whatsoever. 

26 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I thought I heard something about Hischier having work ethic issues and Liljegren not being able to defend at all whatsoever. 

I don't know about Liljegren, but I've only read/heard good things about Hischier's off ice preparations and his on ice efforts.  

12 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

It's the 1st overall pick. It's not like it would be for a regular 1st.

It's also for a potential franchise defenseman. Even if Boeser exceeds all expectations and becomes a franchise winger, I would still rather have the franchise defenseman.

But are you really making your team better by trading a "franchise dman" (as much as one can be at 18) in Liljegren + another high first + Boeser (blue chip prospect) for another "franchise dman". The math simply doesn't add up.

18 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i remember the canadians had a choice between a big, high scoring center, (doug wickenhiser) and the small player, the fans all wanted, dennis savard. they took wick who never blossomed into the player, people thought he would. savard became a super star. you just never know.  

Hell, it just happened to us three years back. We went for the bruising power forward, passing on the smaller, skilled offensive catalysts.

And now Toronto and Winnipeg have Nylander and Ehlers and we have Jake Virtanen... whose greatest career accomplishment is taking an Instagram photo with Justin Bieber.

That said, Patrick is a stud. i'd take him over Hischier because of the intangibles he brings (toughness, two-way play, a winning pedigree, etc.) I could see him being a Toews/Getzlaf-like player in the future. Not Matthews/Laine level but nothing to sneeze at either.

Edited by nowhereman
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Plus two more first round picks.  Three first rounders including two top-fives for "potential".

That's what it would cost to move up to 1st overall next year. I'm not sure if it's worth it myself, I was just spitballing ideas.

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

And Liljegren who you're suggesting we draft and then trade is what after 1 whole season?

Again, just spitballing ideas. I'm usually not for trading prospects, especially ones we've drafted recently, but Dahlin might be an cause an exception. He would be an upgrade over Liljegren.

3 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

But are you really making your team better by trading a "franchise dman" (as much as one can be at 18) in Liljegren + another high first + Boeser (blue chip prospect) for another "franchise dman". The math simply doesn't add up.

The thing is, Liljegren probably won't be a franchise defenseman, so he is worth less than Dahlin, who probably will. If Liljegren was in the same tier as Dahlin, then it's a lateral move between those two with Boeser and a high 1st added on. Adding Liljegren to the deal would compensate whoever was picking 1st overall by giving them a defenseman with elite potential to somewhat replace a defenseman with franchise potential. The other pieces would balance out the value.

I knew bringing up the possibility of trading Boeser would not go over well, but I'm not saying we should trade him for scraps.

13 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I've thought about the nightmare that is drafting for need because I felt like we did that when we drafted Juolevi over Tkachuk. Now that we have Juolevi and some other young guys turning it up like Stetcher, Tryamkin and Hutton I can see management being in the 5 spot and passing on Liljigren because we really need highly skilled forward prospects.

If anything, drafting Tkachuck would have been 'drafting for need'. Drafting Juolevi was BPA and drafting for the future vs the present ('need').

If we do draft another D (as BPA), we can always trade an excess D for a forward later. And likely get far more value for them.

• Upvote 2

As of right now, we're 28th in the league and if our recent slump continues, we could be in talks for Patrick/Hischier.

If we end up with the 3rd overall pick or 4th, I would love us to draft Mittlestadt. Not quite sold on Vilardi being a 1st line center. And I think Mittlestadt > Liljegren

Edited by Odd.

26 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Can you find me any professional scouts mock draft that ranked Juolevi over Tkachuk. I just looked through 15 of them and not one had Juolevi ranked higher. At that time our need was a stud dman prospect and Jim Benning even said he'd be looking for a dman early. However now with Stetcher and Tryamkin showing a lot of promise our need now is for elite forwards.

This has already been covered ad nauseum on here. Past the top 3, the next 4 players were all basically ranked 'equal' and would go in the order determined by individual teams evaluation. 

Even if we already knew what we had in Try and Stecher, we still would have drafted OJ.

Y'all can believe in whatever fairy tales help you sleep at night though...

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, J.R. said:

This has already been covered ad nauseum on here. Past the top 3, the next 4 players were all basically ranked 'equal' and would go in the order determined by individual teams evaluation. 

Even if we already knew what we had in Try and Stecher, we still would have drafted OJ.

Y'all can believe in whatever fairy tales help you sleep at night though...

I see that you're taking your own advice

• Upvote 2

back to the Draft, i would be happy with RW Owen Tippett.

i think even if we stay 3rd at the end of regular season,  we automatically lose the seed to Vegas, enter 4th at lottery and as usual glide 5-7th.  

So Owen Tippett at 5-7th could be realistic, he s a pure scorer with speed and size. 

16 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Can you find me any professional scouts mock draft that ranked Juolevi over Tkachuk. I just looked through 15 of them and not one had Juolevi ranked higher. At that time our need was a stud dman prospect and Jim Benning even said he'd be looking for a dman early. However now with Stetcher and Tryamkin showing a lot of promise our need now is for elite forwards.

That's why you always go BPA because your "needs" can change on a day to day basis

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

back to the Draft, i would be happy with RW Owen Tippett.

i think even if we stay 3rd at the end of regular season,  we automatically lose the seed to Vegas, enter 4th at lottery and as usual glide 5-7th.  

So Owen Tippett at 5-7th could be realistic, he s a pure scorer with speed and size. 

I believe they said that the 28 worst team will have the exact same odds as Las Vegas. 

• Upvote 1