The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

28 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

5th overall is the toughest spot to pick from this year. Hirschier and Nolan are a given 1st and 2nd overall. Vilardi and Mittelstatd are going in the top-5. Lets just hope one of those big-4 centers drop to 5th overall. If they are all gone and we're picking 5th overall, we've got some big-time decisions to make because no one else fills the Canucks current needs. We have Juolevi, Heiskanen would be a waste. Makar as well. They're not elite, they're just more top-4 defencemen - all well and good but we either need an elite defenceman or top-6 center and quickly so they can start developing and join our young core.

If it comes down to Necas, Glass, Tippett or Makar/Heiskanen/Liljegren, I think JB seriously has to consider trading up to get a top-4 guy, even if it's 4th overall. We'd be guaranteed a future top-6 center with the 4th overall pick. For me there's a big drop off after those 4.

Some scouts are ranking Glass above Mittelstadt (notably Button), so I believe those two are actually quite comparable. I'm not as broken-hearted as last year over picking 5th, I think Vilardi, Mittelstadt, and Glass all have ceilings close to Hischier in terms of offensive production.

• Upvote 4

I can see Colorado grabbing Vilardi 

sakic values good work ethic and with one of duchene landeskog going he could  fit in nicely 

1.Patrick 

2. hischier

3. ?

4.Vilardi

5. I'm guessing glass because he fits in as a playmaking centre but mittlestadt is right there as well 

if Vilardi goes 3rd I can see Colorado choosing llegren

10 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

Why Tippett at 28?

One-dimensional transition player. Doesn't understand how to battle for pucks. He's like a better finishing Virtanen, but without the physicality. Even though I ranked him 28, I wouldn't mind taking him at 19th, which is why I put the players in groupings. 

Patrick

Hirschier

Mitts

Glass

Vilardi

Either way its a great player. Can't see us taking Heiskanen after how hard JB has been dumped on for OJ despite being a great pick. Also due to the fact we have OJ already.

I would also love to see us move up in to the mid first range as well if the chance is there.

Tanev trade makes sense on many levels. Free up cap space. Build for the future. Before his ntc is started and allows us to keep sbisa in the expansion draft rather than just losing him.

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Picking at 5, means Vilardi, Mittelstadt, or Glass it is.

with an outside chance of Necas, Petterson, or Lilegren.

those 6 names do not seem as exciting. ugh. lol.  f it. I hope jim goes way off the board and selects someone who was projected outside the top 10.

I'm over tired. I'm heading to bed lol. becoming depressed looking at players available. I'm sure I will feel better in the morning. Now I can dig deep into footage of the 5 or 6 most likely players selected at #5.  I'd be interested too see if we wanted to move up or down. Would be enticing for sure.

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

with an outside chance of Necas, Petterson, or Lilegren.

those 6 names do not seem as exciting. ugh. lol.  f it. I hope jim goes way off the board and selects someone who was projected outside the top 10.

That would be idiotic. BPA unless that off the board pic is the second coming of Bure. Necas, Petterson or Lilijgren is dumb to select at 5th. Villardi, Mittlestadt, Glass, Heiskanen or bust. If Benning doesnt pick either of them outside of Nico and Patrick being selected, he should be fired. 

• Upvote 1

There really is no difference between picking 3 or 5. It was a top 2 or bust kinda year. Not much separates Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Liljegren, Heiskenen, Makar, Glass, Necas, Vaselainen. (I'm sure I butchered some of those names)

We'll probably end up getting one of Mittelstatd or Vilardi as I bet at least one defenseman will get taken ahead of us. It really isn't that bad dropping 3 spots vs one or 2. Same same, if not top 2 then whatever

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

That would be idiotic. BPA unless that off the board pic is the second coming of Bure. Necas, Petterson or Lilijgren is dumb to select at 5th. Villardi, Mittlestadt, Glass, Heiskanen or bust. If Benning doesnt pick either of them outside of Nico and Patrick being selected, he should be fired. 

the off the board comment was more of a frustration comment. but it would be wicked if he could snipe someone off the board totally unexpected and have them be the steal of the draft.  

there is around 8-12 players in the 3-15 range who has top 5 potential in some scouts mind if i recall right. was either 8 or 12 think it was 12.  so realistically it's possible.   Jim does what Jim thinks is right.  I'm glad he isn't burdened by fan opinion when it comes to the draft.

1 hour ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

Wonder if Philly would be open to trading #2 for Tanev and #5.

I would only do that if Patrick were still on the board. I think Hischier is going to fall way short of what most are projecting. He's isn't as high profile as Mackinnon. Players from the Q are always over rated. Huberdeau, Couturier, Mackinnon, PLD. Hischier had so so point totals in comparison to some recent high QMJHL draft picks.

8 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

There really is no difference between picking 3 or 5. It was a top 2 or bust kinda year. Not much separates Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Liljegren, Heiskenen, Makar, Glass, Necas, Vaselainen. (I'm sure I butchered some of those names)

We'll probably end up getting one of Mittelstatd or Vilardi as I bet at least one defenseman will get taken ahead of us. It really isn't that bad dropping 3 spots vs one or 2. Same same, if not top 2 then whatever

My thoughts exactly. Definately a dissapointing lottery draft but I'm sure we will end up with a solid prospect. 

10 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I like mittlestadt but he is going the college route. I'd hate to lose one of these college kids and if we get him that will be 4 high quality prospects  from the college route.

Demko Boeser gaudette mittlestadt 

I'm worried were rolling a roulette wheel. but in all honesty it's more likely for a Russian player to go to the k..

I'm being paranoid lol

We had a Medicine Hat thing going with this team maybe now a Portland Winterhawk thing?

Fine with me, Cody Glass is a very highly skilled player who as a centre would compliment the Canucks very well I think. Him and Mittelstadt are very skilled guys that could put up a lot of points in the NHL.

3 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

You mean the team that already got a first in MacKinnon, second in Landeskog, and third in Duchene? 

I really don't care how they feel.

Exactly, they're ineptitude is just as much to blame as the Oilers are for this screwed up system.

42 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I like mittlestadt but he is going the college route. I'd hate to lose one of these college kids and if we get him that will be 4 high quality prospects  from the college route.

Demko Boeser gaudette mittlestadt 

I'm worried were rolling a roulette wheel. but in all honesty it's more likely for a Russian player to go to the k..

I'm being paranoid lol

I totally agree. Every time we have a college prospect I refrain from allowing myself to get too excited until they're signed. I really hate that 3 year rule. It puts these kids in a tough spot too, because after three years of college/university they are forced to decide to either get their degree by finishing their final year, or take a gamble and sign with the drafted team, hoping that they'll make the squad.  

One of these days we are bound to lose one of these highly touted college kids. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

I would only do that if Patrick were still on the board. I think Hischier is going to fall way short of what most are projecting. He's isn't as high profile as Mackinnon. Players from the Q are always over rated. Huberdeau, Couturier, Mackinnon, PLD. Hischier had so so point totals in comparison to some recent high QMJHL draft picks.

I heard a comparison to Ehlers (better in some aspects but not as good in other aspects of the game). Anyways, Hischier looked pretty good at the World Junior tournament. One of the most impressive players that stood out at the tournament.