The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

2 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

My question with Mittelstadt is why did he return to play high school this year instead of playing junior for a full year. I would think this would have helped answer some questions about the skill level he was playing against. He didn't go back to his junior team until after the high school season ended. A developing player should be seeking out opportunities to play at the highest level he can to prove he belongs there. This is like a Canadian kid opting to go back and play his final season of midget instead of playing in the CHL or BCJHL, etc.

I remember long ago a Canuck draft pick doing the same thing, Patrick White. It seemed the mystery of his skill level intigued the Canucks enough to gamble on him wheras once he hit college, his overall skill and dedication to improving wasn't there.

He went back to win a championship with his high school buddies. They didn't win. He was very good in the ushl as well as under 18s so competition shouldn't be a concern.

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

What is expected? It's a pretty much mandatory fitness test run by the NHL in front of the leagues GMs and scouts. No, in the end the results don't really matter much, but it is expected that you come somewhat prepared to showcase yourself infront of the people who might draft you.

If there is an undisclosed injury we find out about later, than all of this is pretty much moot. However, it's not like he came straight from playing in the Memorial Cup finals. Mittelstadt had around a month and a half to train specifically for the combine (a chance to showcase himself). Especially if he hasn't done much weight training previously, one can make pretty big gains in a month in the gym at age 18 (I actually think the 1 rep bench press is worse than the no rep pull-up).

He does have a pretty impressive skillset and is clearly one of the most skilled players in the draft. But you can't say there is no expectation to come somewhat prepared for a league mandated fitness test.

Again, why does he care about these tests?  What relevance do they play in draft rankings?  Teams are picking him because he can produce not because of how many pull ups. 

Everyone here went to school and did tests with questions that had different weights to each.  If the teacher said out of 100 questions 50 will be on "a", 40 will be on "b"  10 will be spent on "c"  and then there will be 1 bonus question on "d".  How much time will you focus on preparing for d?    

5 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

My question with Mittelstadt is why did he return to play high school this year instead of playing junior for a full year. I would think this would have helped answer some questions about the skill level he was playing against. He didn't go back to his junior team until after the high school season ended. A developing player should be seeking out opportunities to play at the highest level he can to prove he belongs there. This is like a Canadian kid opting to go back and play his final season of midget instead of playing in the CHL or BCJHL, etc.

I remember long ago a Canuck draft pick doing the same thing, Patrick White. It seemed the mystery of his skill level intigued the Canucks enough to gamble on him wheras once he hit college, his overall skill and dedication to improving wasn't there.

Quote from Mittelstadt...

“I’ve played with a lot of those guys [on Eden Prairie] since I was 5 or 6 years old, and my youngest hockey memories are all with the same guys that will be part of our team this year,” said Mittelstadt, 17. “I owe it to myself and to them to go back and play one more year.”

While the combine results certainly made me rethink my stance on Mittelstadt, I'm certainly not going to hold being dedicated to the guys he grew up playing with against him.

47 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

My son played competitive hockey during his high school years so I believe I know a bit of what I'm talking about here. None of the kids who get to that level do it without having gone through countless hours of stick handling, power skating, checking, shooting, weight training classes. The only way you could have a pull-up with that form is if you were injured or slacking off. 

I’ve training, alongside NHL players, and not once did we ever focus on bench press and pull ups.   Those workouts are to pick up girls, not win hockey games

I don't know, I just envision Casey cracking under the pressure to perform in the NHL. No doubt he's got skills, but I question his dedication and desire.

I'm going to guess that Tanev is traded to TOR for the #17.

#5 - Pettersson/Necas

#17 - Foote

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’ve training, alongside NHL players, and not once did we ever focus on bench press and pull ups.   Those workouts are to pick up girls, not win hockey games

Not sure if serious, but you lose complete credibility when you say Bench Press and Pull ups are to impress girls.

Bicep Curls and Pec Deck are to impress girls.

Bench Press and Pull Ups are Compound Movements and kings in upper body strength training. All pro athletes perform these exercises and it isnt to impress girls.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't know, I just envision Casey cracking under the pressure to perform in the NHL. No doubt he's got skills, but I question his dedication and desire.

I'm going to guess that Tanev is traded to TOR for the #17.

#5 - Pettersson/Necas

#17 - Foote

If that is the case I hope theres more coming back than just the 17th pick :frantic:

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Definitely starting to look like the 3rd overall pick is available. If it really is, Benning should be all over it as it looks like the price could be for Tanev and a cap dump(s) coming back our way. Of the available RHD out there, Tanev seems like the best choice for the Stars. Barrie would be redundant on a team with Klingberg and Honka on the right side. Trouba could be a good fit as well but does not have as good of a shutdown game as Tanev does. Trouba does provide more points, but the issue with Dallas is not scoring but defending. 

Should the Canucks land the 3rd overall pick, we should consider getting a defenseman with one of our high picks and a centre with the other.

3rd: Vilardi or Heiskanen

5th: Makar or Pettersson

This gives us a potential 1st line playmaking centre and a potential 1st pairing offensive defenseman in our system, two of the hardest positions to fill. 

Yea in that scenario will be interesting to see if they draft by their BPA rankings or by need.

Going: 

Vilardi + Heiskanen/Makar

Heiskanen + Glass/Pettersson

or if they went:

3 - Vilardi

5 - Pettersson

Assuming Heiskanen is gone at 4 and they have Pettersson before Glass and Makar

• Upvote 1

I liked MIttelstadt, but now I'm not so sure.   I saw a video interview of him where he said he's always been pudgy... and is still pudgy and needs to lose some fat and put on muscle.  So, at least he knows it... but you've gotta question why he is even in that shape at this stage of his career. 

I think I would go with Vilardi,  Pettersson, Glass or even Necas.    If we get 2 top picks, 2 centers or a center and a D would be a home run.

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Undervaluing Tanev IMO

Well, I think the price would be a 1st and a prospect. The prospect won't be Marner or Nylander. Maybe Kapanen or Zaitsev if JB is lucky? My guess is Carrick.  

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Well, I think the price would be a 1st and a prospect. The prospect won't be Marner or Nylander. Maybe Kapanen or Zaitsev if JB is lucky? My guess is Carrick.  

Kapanen and 17 maybe.

Still lots of threads for this trade rumour.

Cant wait for the drafts this month!

15 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Not sure if serious, but you lose complete credibility when you say Bench Press and Pull ups are to impress girls.

Bicep Curls and Pec Deck are to impress girls.

Bench Press and Pull Ups are Compound Movements and kings in upper body strength training. All pro athletes perform these exercises and it isnt to impress girls.

Dead serious, we 90% of the workouts were endurance, leg power, agility, and core strength, The only added weight was a medicine ball. 

If Mittlestadt didn't choose to do poorly in the press and pullups in order to hopefully fall somewhat in the draft to a better team, then he either lacks self-discipline or he made an error in judgment.  The error in judgment would be failing to understand that it is best to avoid looking feeble in front of the staff of the 31 teams you hope to be employed by in the future.  If it could be determined that Mittlestadt has shown great effort over time in his pursuit of hockey relevant skills, then I could reject a lack of discipline as the reason for his poor performance at the combine.  And poor judgment from one so young isn't really that surprising.  If he is a hard worker in a hockey skills sense, then he should still be in the conversation for pick number 5.

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

If Vilardi and Heiskanen are gone I think I'd take Petterson as well. His numbers are quite good. Only things that turn me off are his WJC performance and his weight.

And his acceleration, his balance on his skates, his ability to win battles along the boards... basically my biggest concern for him is being able to transition into the North American game - especially when it comes to playoffs. I have a hard time envisioning Pettersson being a part of a Cup winning team here in Vancouver. I would be over the moon if we could pick up Vilardi at #3 and then Makar at #5. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Expected? What is expected?  This is a the draft combine, these results mean next to nothing.  It's really not that hard to understand.  After June 28th will anyone look back on these test results? There is zero impact how many pull ups a kid does on draft rankings.   The interviews is where Gm will determine character and leadership, not the pull up bar.  The fact that so many people are making a deal about this is laughable.

Look at the conclusions you yourself have jump to.  "He couldn't do a pull up, means he wasn't prepare, means he has bad character/no leadership"....haha really?

This is exactly what I was going to say. The Combine is more about the interviews more than anything. The actual physical testing is more just so they have a reason to gather them all in one place and have a spectacle for the fans. Some of these results just determine the timeline and the extent to which a particular prospect is a project. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Then we don't trade with TOR. They might need him but we don't particularly need Kapanen (as good as he likely will be). I think a trade with ARZ is a far better fit IMO.

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yes stick to ARZ with tanev,  i see Trouba more likely being a leaf next year than tanev

Their GM's an analytics guru, Tanev's an analytics darling. He's basically the same age as OEL. They have a massive hole at top 4 RD. They have tons of prospect depth (including players we'd actually want back) etc, etc .

It's a far better fit IMO.

Edited by J.R.