The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Why we assuming that Tanev is going to TOR just because Pettersson met with the Leafs as well? Pettersson is ranked around mid-1st, which is where the Leafs are picking. Isn't it possible they also want Pettersson?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why we assuming that Tanev is going to TOR just because Pettersson met with the Leafs as well? Pettersson is ranked around mid-1st, which is where the Leafs are picking. Isn't it possible they also want Pettersson?

Just speculating, I don't think anyone thinks a deal is likely.

As far as Pettersson, I think he will be long gone by 17 but people said the same about Chychrun last year. I think they are just doing their due diligence.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Your math's off there.

FTG's post

"can't see pettersson dropping to 17th.  If they want tanev, i'd say it would be up to TO to find us a top 10 pick so we can land Pettersson.

TO trades 17th overall + Kapanen to Det for the 9th overall

then flips the 9th overall + Bracco to Vancouver to tanev? 

Canucks pick Vilardi/Mittel at 5 and then Pettersson at 9."

My math is not bad, Toronto's total cost to get Tanev would be Kapanen, Bracco, 9th overall and 17th overall. The Canucks end up with a 9th and Bracco for Tanev. Decent value for the Canucks but extremely pricy for Toronto.

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

FTG's post

"can't see pettersson dropping to 17th.  If they want tanev, i'd say it would be up to TO to find us a top 10 pick so we can land Pettersson.

TO trades 17th overall + Kapanen to Det for the 9th overall

then flips the 9th overall + Bracco to Vancouver to tanev? 

Canucks pick Vilardi/Mittel at 5 and then Pettersson at 9."

My math is not bad, Toronto's total cost to get Tanev would be Kapanen, Bracco, 9th overall and 17th overall. The Canucks end up with a 9th and Bracco for Tanev. Decent value for the Canucks but extremely pricy for Toronto.

It's not cumulative. The cost to TOR is 17th, Kap and Bracco. They didn't already own the 9th (though I agree with @Toews, TOR probably needs more from DET).

If I give you two apples for a cantelope and then give that cantelope to another guy for a small watermelon, it still only cost me two apples for that watermelon. The Cantelope was just an exchange in the form of the 'funds', not added value.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'd rather the 9th and Bracco than the 17th, Kapanen and Bracco. Unless JB has a trade lined up for one of the Canucks current wingers as Kapanen will need a top 6 wing spot.

Hence why if TO wants Tanev, it's up to Toronto to find us an offer more suitable to our team needs.  We don't really want the 17th + Kapanen + Bracco. but value wise it's close, so they could flip those assets into something more appealing for us. 

50 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

I'd be pretty disappointed if we draft Pettersson at #5. Kid needs to add some serious size. Will easily take 2-3 years to develop. 

The Canucks could trade down or potentially draft a D at #5 (Makar or Liljegren or Heiskanen) and then trade D-man+picks for whoever ends up drafting Pettersson.

1 hour ago, Nessnuck27 said:

Craig Button Final Rankings List:

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-hischier-edges-patrick-in-final-ranking-1.772654

1. Nico Hischier, C, 

2. Nolan Patrick, C, 

3. Cale Makar, D, 

4. Cody Glass, C, 

5. Miro Heiskanen, D, 

6. Gabe Vilardi, C, 

7. Martin Necas, C, 

8. Elias Pettersson, C,  

9. Casey Mittelstadt, C, 

10. Timothy Liljegren, D, 

11. Nick Suzuki, RW, 

12. Ryan Poehling, C, 

13. Pierre-Olivier Joseph, D, 

14. Cal Foote, D, 

15. Eeli Tolvanen, RW, 

16. Kailer Yamamoto, RW, 

17. Juuso Valimaki, D, 

18. Lias Andersson, C,

19. Erik Brannstrom, D, 

20. Filip Chytil, LW, 

21. Michael Rasmussen, C/LW, 

22. Alexei Lipanov, C, 

23. Owen Tippett, RW, 

24. Klim Kostin, RW,

25. Josh Norris, C, 

26. Kristian Vesalainen, LW, 

27. Aleksei Heponiemi, C, 

28. Shane Bowers, C, 

29. Jake Oettinger, G, 

30. Conor Timmins, D, 

31. Urho Vaakanainen, D, 

I think you got burried, so re-posting for ya: http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-final-ranking-1.294692

I'd be interested to hear Button on Pierre-Olivier Joseph, who has appeared to vault, not only into the first round, but into the top 15. I felt myself agreeing with the top 12 (Suzuki and Poehling being very underated). Anyways, thanks for posting. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I think you got burried, so re-posting for ya: http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-final-ranking-1.294692

I'd be interested to hear Button on Pierre-Olivier Joseph, who has appeared to vault, not only into the first round, but into the top 15. I felt myself agreeing with the top 12 (Suzuki and Poehling being very underated). Anyways, thanks for posting. 

With so much focus on Makar, Liljegren, and Heiskanen, yeah I agree not a whole lot of focus on P.O Joseph or even the likes of Erik Brannstrom, who I think if he wasn't a  a generous 5'10'' he would be in the same conversation as the 3 above skill wise.

How do u guys feel about Elias Pettersson? I've been a huge fan all year! Imo if he actually is a C long term he is in the same grouping as Vilardi, Glass and Mittlestadt. He's listed as being a C on many sites but also a LW. (I thought he was a winger ealier in the year as well) 

I think I'll be most happy if we can come away from the first round with one of Glass or Vilardi at #5 and a second pick to grab Petterson. Really solidify the C position going forward - one pretty close to a guaranteed NHL player in some capacity, the other a bit of risk/reward gamble with high upside. 

But really I'm ready for anything. Doing my best not to get too high or low on any of the names being tossed around.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nessnuck27 said:

Craig Button Final Rankings List:

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-hischier-edges-patrick-in-final-ranking-1.772654

1. Nico Hischier, C, 

2. Nolan Patrick, C, 

3. Cale Makar, D, 

4. Cody Glass, C, 

5. Miro Heiskanen, D, 

6. Gabe Vilardi, C, 

7. Martin Necas, C, 

8. Elias Pettersson, C,  

9. Casey Mittelstadt, C, 

10. Timothy Liljegren, D, 

11. Nick Suzuki, RW, 

12. Ryan Poehling, C, 

13. Pierre-Olivier Joseph, D, 

14. Cal Foote, D, 

15. Eeli Tolvanen, RW, 

16. Kailer Yamamoto, RW, 

17. Juuso Valimaki, D, 

18. Lias Andersson, C,

19. Erik Brannstrom, D, 

20. Filip Chytil, LW, 

21. Michael Rasmussen, C/LW, 

22. Alexei Lipanov, C, 

23. Owen Tippett, RW, 

24. Klim Kostin, RW,

25. Josh Norris, C, 

26. Kristian Vesalainen, LW, 

27. Aleksei Heponiemi, C, 

28. Shane Bowers, C, 

29. Jake Oettinger, G, 

30. Conor Timmins, D, 

31. Urho Vaakanainen, D, 

Interesting list by Button,

-Not surprised by Button not picking Patrick as #1..Injury problems,lackadaisical play,and a bit of an attitude could be the reasons.

-Button obviously thinks that Makar is the real deal...

-Vilardi drops,which is not surprising..Have heard very little about Canucks interest in him

-Mittelstadt I think will go higher..He's not good at pull-ups ,but great at hockey.

-Button has been cold on Tippett all year..probably citing low IQ hockey player

• Upvote 2