The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

16 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I'd do Tanev and both 2nds for the 3rd overall. I'd try to take a goalie and keep one of our 2nds but the idea of picking 3rd and 5th is awesome! It would suck to miss out on the 2nd round players as I have some favourites but I'd pick once in the top 10 rather then twice in the 2nd round everyday of the week! We need quality not quantity. Gotta get some top talent!

Same same. 

I would do that deal tomorrow. In 2 to 3 years, number 1 PPQB playing the point on the PP and either Bo 2.0 in Vlardi or a good Offensive center like Mittlestad.  

We would also suck for one more year, but looking at a top 5 pick next year too. The year after should be the climb back out. 

I would also move Tanev for a talent like Puljarvi or Reinhardt if at all possible. Would definitely throw more into a deal for Reinhardt, a second or Baer possibly.  Straight up for JP though. 

EmW

7 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Interesting list by Button,

-Not surprised by Button not picking Patrick as #1..Injury problems,lackadaisical play,and a bit of an attitude could be the reasons.

-Button obviously thinks that Makar is the real deal...

-Vilardi drops,which is not surprising..Have heard very little about Canucks interest in him

-Mittelstadt I think will go higher..He's not good at pull-ups ,but great at hockey.

-Button has been cold on Tippett all year..probably citing low IQ hockey player

Even better Nick Hague not in the first. Would love to pick him up at 33. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Interesting list by Button,

-Not surprised by Button not picking Patrick as #1..Injury problems,lackadaisical play,and a bit of an attitude could be the reasons.

-Button obviously thinks that Makar is the real deal...

-Vilardi drops,which is not surprising..Have heard very little about Canucks interest in him

-Mittelstadt I think will go higher..He's not good at pull-ups ,but great at hockey.

-Button has been cold on Tippett all year..probably citing low IQ hockey player

You keep saying the Canucks have little interest in Vilardi. How do you know? You friends with JB? If he's there at 5 I'd bet $100 they take him.

2 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

I'd be pretty disappointed if we draft Pettersson at #5. Kid needs to add some serious size. Will easily take 2-3 years to develop. 

Cody Glass is also really scrawny...Mittelstadt is chubby...Both possess great hockey IQ,and are going to be really good players.

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

You keep saying the Canucks have little interest in Vilardi. How do you know? You friends with JB? If he's there at 5 I'd bet $100 they take him.

I bet we take Vilardi at three and Makar at five.  That's what going to happen!  "Book it Danno"

• Upvote 4

In terms of centers, I'd be more than happy if we took either one of Glass, Vilardi, or Necas.

I'm not too high on taking a defenseman, especially since we used our top pick to draft Juolevi last year. I wouldn't mind if we took Makar or Heiskanen if they're available though.

5 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Cody Glass is also really scrawny...Mittelstadt is chubby...Both possess great hockey IQ,and are going to be really good players.

Mittlestadt looks to much like Shinkaruk. Don't want him. 

2 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I'm just not hearing anything about him via journalists who follow the team..The emphasis is really on Cody Glass,and Pettersen, (whom the Canucks have asked for extra interviews)...You could also throw Cale Makar in there as well.

I have no bias against Vilardi,but he is one of the prospects that could drop (see Craig Buttons list).

• Upvote 1

My prediction top 5.

1 NJ Nico

2 PHI Patrick

3 DAL Heiskanen

4 AVS Vilardi

Which leaves Van with a pick of Mittelstadt, Makar, Glass I like all 3 but would choose Mittelstadt. He's exactly what we need a 1c with tremendous creativity Glass seems like another Bo Horvat which is a great pick but we already have BO and Makar is pretty risky but any of the 3 I would be happy with.

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Vilardi is OK but Makar, to small. 

Orr was just under 6 feet too, and even lighter. Erik Karlsson is not heavy nor tall.   Makar has unique skills, and (perhaps?) the highest ceiling of any player in this draft.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I'm just not hearing anything about him via journalists who follow the team..The emphasis is really on Cody Glass,and Pettersen, (whom the Canucks have asked for extra interviews)...You could also throw Cale Makar in there as well.

I have no bias against Vilardi,but he is one of the prospects that could drop (see Craig Buttons list).

If Buttons list is gospel I'd be cool with Heiskanen at 5. If Vilardi is there at 5 and we pass I'll wonder what this management team is thinking. I think he has Glass a few spots too high but you never know.

35 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Vilardi is OK but Makar, to small. 

I'm assuming you haven't been following the recent combine info? Makar has gone through a growth spurt and is pushing 6ft. By the time he's done growing, he'll likely be comparable to the weight and height of Karlsson, Keith, Josi, Letang, etc.

What's wrong with that? This isn't 1998, when sloths like Hatcher ruled the roost. 

• Upvote 3

Based on Buttons List this is who I pick:

5 Heiskanen
33 JAD
55 Comtois (If Lind was 55 not 54 him for sure)
64 Salo
95 Elvenes

Alternate Picks

5 Mittelstadt
33 Hague (Unlikely so Robertson)
55 Gildon
64 Zetterlund
95 Elvenes