The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

47 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, I sort of recall them being interested in a D, but there were a few with Juolevi, Chychrun and Sergachev. I thought for sure with Tkachuk being available they would've gone for the offense. I also recall when he announced Juolevi, the entire arena gave a collective "groan", as that pick seemed to surprised a lot of people. Who knows what they have up their sleeves this time? Well, JR might know.

Yup, I remember things the same way. But I did not know that @JR had access to inside information. ::D

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Yup, I remember things the same way. But I did not know that @JR had access to inside information. ::D

I don't. But I had OJ at 5 personally and it was pretty easily ascertained from Benning's comments that they planned to pick PLD or OJ if PLD was gone.

• Upvote 1

I think Glass goes at #3 (DAL) or #4 (COL), but he's my 1st pick. I'd also be okay if they took Vilardi, Makar, Necas or Pettersson though. Not big on Heiskanen, Mittelstadt or Rasmussen, and don't need Tippett.

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - ? - Goldobin

Who best fits that #2C position? I think they need some size there, so Glass or Vilardi please.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I know the team is lacking in speed and skill, but I am so wary of drafting players because of the "way the league is going".  Style is cyclical and by the time Pettersson is ready to be an everyday player, the league may well have cycled around to big bodied, physical players.  

That said, he might be very very good

This...

It's like we keep chasing our tale, and are going round in circles being one step behind. After 2011 we were going to go bigger and tougher to play against, but we seem to be drifting away from that again. 

Personally I hope for a C with some size, who is a bit feisty, and keep going after that at every draft.... Would also make it easier to accept Virtanen playing on the third line, if that is his ceiling...

With so many defensemen apparently available in the draft, lets wait until then for our PMD.

2 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

I think Buffalo takes him at 8 tbh. 

Could very well be. Mine's a ranking, not a mock. He might very well got to DAL at 3 COL at 4 for all I know. Doesn't mean he's the 3rd or 4th best pick IMO.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone thought of a thread where people can post their top 30 before Friday and then it's locked. 

You could then then go back 3-5 years down the road and brag or skulk off into the weeds. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Could very well be. Mine's a ranking, not a mock. He might very well got to DAL at 3 COL at 4 for all I know. Doesn't mean he's the 3rd or 4th best pick IMO.

In that case I have him outside the top 10 tbh. 

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

Has anyone thought of a thread where people can post their top 30 before Friday and then it's locked. 

You could then then go back 3-5 years down the road and brag or skulk off into the weeds. 

Only top 10 but...

Every time I see Glass' name I think of Tanner.

Say Glass is gone at #3 or #4, would people be surprised to see JB pass over Vilardi to select Pettersson? There is a good possibility this happens, and I'm kind of dreading that moment. What could've been. Pettersson may turn out to be a very skilled NHL player one day, but after the MC, Vilardi's stock is pretty high and he's the type of player the Canucks have always needed. I have nothing against Swedes, but it would be nice to add another Canadian kid to the roster.  

• Upvote 1

Jeff Marek mock draft on SN today:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jeff-mareks-2017-nhl-mock-draft/

So, here’s my mock draft I submit, knowing full well that there is about zero chance it ends up following this order.

new-jersey-devils.png1. NEW JERSEY DEVILS
Nico Hischier, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL): The Devils make the dynamic, two-way Swiss centre a key piece of their rebuild.

philadelphia-flyers.png2. PHILADELPHIA FLYERS
Nolan Patrick, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL): The Flyers snag the player scouts have been raving about for years. He’ll be a high-end pro for many years.

dallas-stars.png3. DALLAS STARS
Miro Heiskanen, HIFK (Finland): The Stars get back to drafting high-end blueliners early and take the top-rated defence prospect in the draft.

colorado-avalanche.png4. COLORADO AVALANCHE
Cale Makar, Brooks Bandits (AJHL): It’s no secret the Avalanche need a whole lot of help with their blue-line and they take perhaps the most creatively gifted defenceman in the draft.

vancouver-canucks.png5. VANCOUVER CANUCKS
Cody Glass, Portland Winterhawks (WHL): Sure Vancouver needs help on the blue-line but can’t pass up one of the highest risers in the draft.

vegas-golden-knights.png6. VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS
Gabriel Vilardi, Windsor Spitfires (OHL): And with their first ever pick in the NHL Draft the Golden Knights take a champion. Dots down the best player in the draft.

arizona-coyotes.png7. ARIZONA COYOTES
Casey Mittelstadt, Green Bay Gamblers (USHL). The Coyotes go with the slick skating, point-producing centre from Minnesota.

buffalo-sabres.png8. BUFFALO SABRES 
Timothy Liljegren, Rogle (Sweden): Job No. 1 for the Sabres is redo that blue-line. Liljegren is a step in that direction.

detroit-red-wings.png9. DETROIT RED WINGS
Elias Pettersson, Timra (Sweden): After focusing out on defencemen in the last couple of drafts, the Red Wings go with the skilled Swedish centre.

florida-panthers.png10. FLORIDA PANTHERS
Kristian Vesalainen, HPK (Finland): Has all the skills to fit the prototype power forward mould for the modern game. Struggled early in the season but turned it on at the end.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Who else you have ahead of him? Suzuki? 

1. Patrick 
2. Hischier
3. Vilardi
4. Glass
5. Tippett
6. Liljegren 
7. Pettersson 
8. Necas
9. Mittlestadt
10. Makar
11. Suzuki 
12. Andersson
13. Tolvanen
14. Heiskanen 

Just think there's too much offensive potential to pick Heiskanen so high in the draft tbh. Perhaps would even rank Yamamoto or Thomas above Heiskanen as well.

Edited by TheHitman
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

I envision us getting two top 10 picks. Benning make it happen please.

That would be pretty sweet, VAN would win the draft IMO.

Take Glass at #5 and then maybe Heiskanen or Liljegren at #8, for example. The rebuild would be almost complete. A top pairing D of Juoelvi - Heiskanen does sound very solid. The Fins shuttin'er down.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That would be pretty sweet, VAN would win the draft IMO.

Take Glass at #5 and then maybe Heiskanen or Liljegren at #8, for example. The rebuild would be almost complete. A top pairing D of Juoelvi - Heiskanen does sound very solid. The Fins shuttin'er down.

looking at Juolevi he looks like an Ohlund level of steady,need more flash though with a needed point man.All our great shooters on D either leave or get traded,it just blows.