The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

If we draft #1 we pick Patrick. Hischier will be an impact NHL top 6 winger. We need a big body top 6 centre. You build a team with size down the middle. 

A one-two punch of Patrick and Horvat would be amazing for our group moving forward. Neither guy is the best skater but both are good in all other areas of the game. We put skilled wingers with them like Granlund, Goldobin, and Boesser. 

Patrick is a character guy a team can lean on. 

If we don't get Patrick and were picking top 3 I would take Liljegren 

Edited by kenhodgejr

7 minutes ago, Green Building said:

For what exactly? Or even roughly?

I would be happy drafting any of Necas/Glass/Vilardi/Mittelstadt so anything in the range of 3-6 would be fine.

Let's say the Devils want the pick, then I think their 1st round pick and their 2 second round picks would be fair value for 1st or 2nd overall pick. Then you can use those picks to move up to middle 1st and grab one of Suzuki/Heiskanen/Valimaki/Andersson/Pettersson or whoever you like. 

Or if it's Arizona, then their 1st round pick, Christian Fischer, and a 3rd round pick would do it. 

I think this is kind of more for armchair gm threads so I'll stop now.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Ahaha Alright bud. Sounds like a topic more suited for the proposal / armchair GM section honestly. Otherwise, what is the point of wasting room in this discussion on something that won't ever happen? 

True but we got months until the draft so might as well let people offer their thoughts

16 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'm comparing Hischier to Ehlers....Ehlers is a very good player but is not franchise changing.  Same size, same style of play, same junior Team   In the 2014 draft you could get a Ehlers type player with the 9th overall, in 2017 you get a ehlers type player with the 1st overall.  Thus 2017 is a weak draft.

It's not that hard to comprehend. I'm not even the first person to say it.  Our very own JB said it's not as top heavy.  

"I don’t think it has the high-end superstar that we’ve seen in other years. I still think it’s going to be a good draft, 40-deep. The top 20 guys, we feel, could be good NHL players. There’s 10 guys we feel could be 20-goal scorers in the NHL."- Benning

Why are people have such troubles understanding that?  Is it simply because we are set to pick in that spot and are in denial about the expected quality?

Not getting involved in the discussion here, but I wouldn't mind a bit of Ehlers on this team....

Wanted Ehlers originally, so.... but yes if Ehlers was a top 2 pick, I don't think it's a franchise changing draft.

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

If we draft #1 we pick Patrick. Hischier will be an impact NHL top 6 winger. We need a big body top 6 centre. You build a team with size down the middle. 

A one-two punch of Patrick and Horvat would be amazing for our group moving forward. Neither guy is the best skater but both are good in all other areas of the game. We put skilled wingers with them like Granlund, Goldobin, and Boesser. 

Patrick is a character guy a team can lean on. 

One of the issues is that Canucks lack both size and speed. So either way, Patrick or Hischier, their getting something they need.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, funkyfresh said:

True but we got months until the draft so might as well let people offer their thoughts

Honestly, I was hoping for more of a rebuttal about why the Canucks would consider something like that. Not at all trying to shut down the conversation on it, just start a debate. But the wait game for the draft is true enough. Consider it "noted".  I actually just want to pick up a solid player and get onto next years draft - where the real game changers are expected to be. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, funkyfresh said:

I would be happy drafting any of Necas/Glass/Vilardi/Mittelstadt so anything in the range of 3-6 would be fine.

Let's say the Devils want the pick, then I think their 1st round pick and their 2 second round picks would be fair value for 1st or 2nd overall pick. Then you can use those picks to move up to middle 1st and grab one of Suzuki/Heiskanen/Valimaki/Andersson/Pettersson or whoever you like. 

Or if it's Arizona, then their 1st round pick, Christian Fischer, and a 3rd round pick would do it. 

I think this is kind of more for armchair gm threads so I'll stop now.

If we can get 2 2nds on some kind of pre arranged guarantee that swaps 2 of the the 4 we'd possibly have into a mid first rounder that would be an interesting move. I'd almost rather take Nico if he's on the board when we pick, but I'm also on record with not wanting Patrick. If we have the option to trade down so someone can take him we might be able to do better than 2 2nds plus their 1st rounder.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

If we can get 2 2nds on some kind of pre arranged guarantee that swaps 2 of the the 4 we'd possibly have into a mid first rounder that would be an interesting move. I'd almost rather take Nico if he's on the board when we pick, but I'm also on record with not wanting Patrick. If we have the option to trade down so someone can take him we might be able to do better than 2 2nds plus their 1st rounder.

Yeah it's hard to say what teams will be willing to give up.

Also, I must have missed it but why don't you want Patrick?

Just now, funkyfresh said:

Yeah it's hard to say what teams will be willing to give up.

Also, I must have missed it but why don't you want Patrick?

The number of injuries he's suffered at his age is nothing we should have anything to do with. It's silly how unlucky he's been, and my fear is that would continue with us since, well, FML 2017 injuries.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

The number of injuries he's suffered at his age is nothing we should have anything to do with. It's silly how unlucky he's been, and my fear is that would continue with us since, well, FML 2017 injuries.

Yeah but he played all games last season (almost 100 games). 

This article on sportsnet discusses his injuries that talks about how his growth spurts could have played a role in the injuries.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/big-read-nolan-patricks-unconventional-road-nhl-draft/

SN-NOLANPATRICK-05.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I believe some people have said that there's nobody in this year's draft that would displace any of the top 5 in last year's draft. Matthews and Laine are obvious. But I wonder if the Canucks have the top overall pick and the opportunity is there, would they trade it for either Puljujarvi or Pierre Luc Dubois? Imho, I almost think the Canucks would say 'no' to that and not just because Nico and Nolan are both Centers, but because both Puljujarvi and Dubois have lost some of their shine with their production in the minors.

For Puljujarvi I would but not for Dubois. I would rather take a chance on Patrick or Hischier, even though Patrick has the injury history and Dubois outscored Hischier in their respective draft years.

Development-wise, Puljujarvi is in a perfect spot to refine his game and get used to North American hockey in the AHL. Hischier can play in the AHL next season if management feels his junior league isn't the best for his development. Patrick is supposedly open to playing in a European league against men, as the WHL seems too easy for him. There he could develop his skating and offensive game even further.

Dubois wasn't good at all in the beginning of the year but has turned it around. For him, it is either NHL or QMJHL next season. Hopefully Columbus doesn't rush him up, as I personally don't think he's ready for the show but at the same time he might be too good for the Q. 

3 minutes ago, funkyfresh said:

Yeah but he played all games last season (almost 100 games). 

This article on sportsnet discusses his injuries that talks about how his growth spurts could have played a role in the injuries.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/big-read-nolan-patricks-unconventional-road-nhl-draft/

SN-NOLANPATRICK-05.jpg

That could be a fair point, but ultimately it's just as much speculation as I'm offering. It's not that I dislike him, he's obviously talented, and likely to be better than Hischier if he stays healthy.

To me, that's a pretty big ask for a guy who has had his history. From my perspective, it's not like the road is going to get easier all of a sudden while playing against men.

Just now, Green Building said:

That could be a fair point, but ultimately it's just as much speculation as I'm offering. It's not that I dislike him, he's obviously talented, and likely to be better than Hischier if he stays healthy.

To me, that's a pretty big ask for a guy who has had his history. From my perspective, it's not like the road is going to get easier all of a sudden while playing against men.

I'm more worried about Patrick's personality than his injuries. I know it's pretty old but his twitter shenanigans really turned me off and then there is this article: https://recrutes.ca/meet-your-makar-king-patrick/ 

Here's the nolan specific parts posted by JetsAlternate on Hfboards

Meet your Makar, King Patrick
April 6, 2017 By Grant McCagg

If one had said six months ago that Patrick might not be a top-two pick, or even the first-overall pick for that matter, such a declaration would have been met with plenty of criticism and disbelief. Following an underwhelming injury-plagued season, however, in which he was already surpassed by Halifax Mooseheads’ center Nico Hischier in a lot of scouts’ minds…if one prospect is already thought to be as good or better, why not another?

I see a lot of parallels between Monahan and Patrick. Monahan is a 6-2 center who was also a late birthday that had great stats the year before he was drafted with 78 points. No, he did not crack 100 points like Patrick did last season, but Monahan was not on a high-powered offensive juggernaut like Brandon either, with highly productive teammates like Ivan Provorov, Jayce Hawryluk and John Quenneville that scored a CHL-best 317 goals.

Much like Monahan, some concerns about Patrick’s effort away from the puck, skating speed and overall competitiveness all crept in as he was under more intense scrutiny in his draft year.

“We faced Patrick quite a few times this year,” said one eastern conference WHL head coach. “Nothing against the kid whatsoever, but what I saw this year and what our coaching staff saw last year are two different players. No question he’s a player, smart and everything else, but I’m not seeing what everybody talked about last year.

“I saw him play against Moose Jaw one night and he was downright lazy. When he has the puck he’s fine..but when he doesn’t…I’ve expected more. What I heard from last year was that this guy was going to be a handful this year…and he hasn’t been a handful with that hockey club.”

Monahan was able to overcome the competitiveness and skating concerns and has developed into a solid top-two NHL center, but there are no guarantees that Patrick can follow the same path, especially when issues about his character are also becoming more prevalent in the scouting community from several different sources.

“He’s not the greatest kid I don’t think,” said a scout of one team picking in the top ten. “I don’t know if he’s a great teammate either. That’s what I’ve heard. Maybe just a little bit about himself.”

Up until the world junior tournament there was little talk about Patrick dropping from his perch as the anointed number-one pick, but as Hischier kept producing in big moments, including in a head-to-head matchup against Patrick at the CHL Top Prospects Game, and as Patrick’s return from a hernia injury failed to wow scouts in the same fashion he impressed them last season, it soon became apparent that Patrick was no longer in a league of his own when it came to the draft.

“Our guys aren’t keen on him,” said the scout of another team slated to pick in the top ten. “I would be really surprised if we took Nolan Patrick. Unless it’s a no brainer. If we’re at 4 or 5…then you’ve gotta do it. “If (club management) hear a peep on a player we’re not taking him…and they’ve heard some things that concern them.”

• Upvote 1

Not sure if you guys saw this. I found it really interesting about Cody Glass. 

ISS Hockey has released its monthly rankings of the top prospects for the 2017 NHL Entry Draft. This month's rankings include the top 150 skaters, along with the top 15 goaltenders, as evaluated and ranked by ISS Hockey's worldwide network of scouts. 

Below is the ISS Top 31, highlighting the rankings for the top 31 prospects, which is released the first Wednesday of every month during the hockey season. An interactive page where the ISS Top 31 can be viewed, sorted, commented on and where users can interact with our scouts, can be viewed at isshockey.com/iss-top-31

1 – Patrick , Nolan - C - Brandon - WHL 
2 – Hischier , Nico - C - Halifax - QMJHL 
3 – Vilardi, Gabe - C - Windsor - OHL 
4 – Tippett, Owen - RW - Mississauga - OHL 
5 – Mittelstadt, Casey - C – Green Bay - USHL 
6 – Liljegren , Timothy - RD - Rogle - SweJE 
7 – Glass, Cody - C- Portland - WHL 
8 – Rasmussen, Michael - C - Tri-City - WHL 
9 – Foote, Callan - RD - Kelowna - WHL 
10 – Necas, Martin - RW - Brno Kometa HC - CzeE 
11 – Valimaki, Juuso - LD - Tri-City - WHL 
12 – Kostin, Klim - C - Dynamo – KHL 
13 – Tolvanen, Eeli - LW – Sioux City – USHL 
14 – Hague, Nicolas - RD - Mississauga - OHL 
15 – Makar, Cale - RD - Brooks – AJHL 
16 – Pettersson, Elias - C - Timra - SweAl 
17 – Suzuki, Nick - C - Owen Sound - OHL 
18 – Lind, Kole - C - Kelowna - WHL 
19 – Poehling, Ryan - C - St. Cloud State - NCHC 
20 – Ratcliffe, Isaac - LW - Guelph – OHL 
21 – Norris, Joushua - C - USA U18 - NTDP 
22 – Yamamoto, Kailer - RW - Spokane - WHL 
23 – Bowers, Shane - C - Waterloo – USHL 
24 – Jokiharju, Henri - RD - Portland – WHL 
25 – Comtois, Maxime - LW - Victoriaville – QMJHL 
26 – Thomas, Robert - C - London – OHL 
27 – Anderson-Dolan, Jaret - C - Spokane – WHL 
28 – Timmins, Conor – RD – S.S. Marie – OHL 
29 – Andersson, Lias - LW - HV71 – SweJE 
30 – Vesalainen, Kristian - LW - V. Frolunda - SweE 
31 – Formenton, Alex – LW – London – OHL

Centermen take over the top three spots in the March Release of the ISS Top 31, as Gabe Vilardi (Windsor, OHL) moves into third behind Nolan Patrick (Brandon, WHL) and Nico Hishchier (Halifax, QMJHL), who carry ISS Hockey rankings of #1 and #2, respectively. 

Several other players at the center-ice position have climbed this month. Most notably, Cody Glass (Portland, WHL) has moved up seven spots into seventh and Nick Suzuki (Owen Sound, OHL) has jumped up into seventeenth. ISS Hockey Director of Scouting, Dennis MacInnis, continues to be impressed with the play of Glass.

“Glass is the type of player that makes his teammates around him better. Lots of offensive upside as he continues to put his elite hockey sense on display. There has also been a noticeable improvement in his defensive play.”

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Not sure if you guys saw this. I found it really interesting about Cody Glass. 

Yeah, I watched all the Portland playoff games so far and he's won me over. Definitely in my top 5. 

I also think the stuff he has gone through is going to continue pushing him to be better. 

4 minutes ago, funkyfresh said:

I'm more worried about Patrick's personality than his injuries. I know it's pretty old but his twitter shenanigans really turned me off and then there is this article: https://recrutes.ca/meet-your-makar-king-patrick/ 

Here's the nolan specific parts posted by JetsAlternate on Hfboards

It may sound contradictory, but since injuries (in my opinion) are a little more black and white than how a guy supposedly acts in a locker room the former is still my concern. After all, he's still a kid, and there could be any number of reasons leading to scouts and whoever coming to the conclusion that, and I'm paraphrasing, he's selfish. I feel like attitude can be changed once you grow up, but your genetics are what they are.

I'll save anyone the trouble of responding with how genetics can affect your attitude as well and just concede that yes, they can. Maybe the team that drafts him will get a kid with a rough set of teenage years who goes on to have a relatively healthy career. I certainly don't wish him the worst, but it's still my opinion that I'd rather stay away, and if he's on the board when we draft I'd definitely be ok with JB listening in on some offers.  

• Upvote 1

If we finish 29th:

There will be about a 10% chance (12%) that we win the first pick and we would probably take Patrick or Hischier.

About a 15% chance we win the second pick and take the other between Hischier and Patrick.

Another 15% chance we win the third pick, maybe picking Vilardi.

About 30% chance we pick fourth: Mittlestadt perhaps?

Last 30% chance we pick fifth and maybe take a Right Defenseman, Liljegren.

There is about a 40% chance we win one of the top 3 picks and therefore about a 60% chance we pick fourth or fifth.

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

If we finish 29th:

There will be about a 10% chance (12%) that we win the first pick and we would probably take Patrick or Hischier.

About a 15% chance we win the second pick and take the other between Hischier and Patrick.

Another 15% chance we win the third pick, maybe picking Vilardi.

About 30% chance we pick fourth: Mittlestadt perhaps?

Last 30% chance we pick fifth and maybe take a Right Defenseman, Liljegren.

There is about a 40% chance we win one of the top 3 picks and therefore about a 60% chance we pick fourth or fifth.

You can guess or you can take the 13 seconds it takes to get the right numbers.

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

You were close kinda.

• Upvote 1