The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

2 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Yeah I rather have Foote. Liljgren seems like a risky pick.

Yea, if we end up picking 5th I wouldn't be against trading down.

I wanted us to trade back last draft and take Jost, and I still feel that would have been a good move.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It seems to me like Liljegren is only ranked high because everyone keeps hoping these smooth skating Swedish defensemen are the next Karlsson.

There is only one Karlsson, and the odds are Liljegren won't even come close to touching his ceiling.

No thanks to drafting a D-man that high again unless they're a lock to be a top pairing guy.

Liljegren plays more like Doughty.

He's one of the guys that me and others are really hoping we draft but that's not because everyone thinks he's going to be the next Karlsson. If you want more of a Karlsson comparison then that would be Makar, but I'd still rather Liljegren. 

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Liljegren plays more like Doughty.

He's one of the guys that me and others are really hoping we draft but that's not because everyone thinks he's going to be the next Karlsson. If you want more of a Karlsson comparison then that would be Makar, but I'd still rather Liljegren. 

Smooth skating Swede who is always jumping up in the attack and has a good wrister. How is that not Karlsson?

26 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Ask Boston in 2015 how going off the board worked out :lol:

Jake DeBrusk is a great player, saw a lot of him when he played for the Broncos and he was sensational.

Jakub Zboril is a .82ppg defenceman. Considering defensemen take longer to develop I would argue leaving him in juniors was a good move by Boston.

Zach Senyshyn is more than a ppg and is a big strong kid, also looks promising. 

Hard to judge what they did at this point but I think you will be surprised at how good they all are.

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Because he's not Karlsson, he's Liljegren. Nationality also has nothing to do with it.

People are looking at him as the next Karlsson though, that's the whole point.

From what I've seen he doesn't play like Doughty. Doughty is bigger, grittier, and plays much better in his own end. If scouts want him because he could be another Doughty type, that makes me want to draft him even less. This guy is a long shot to reach his potential IMO.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Where'd Luongo? said:

Jake DeBrusk is a great player, saw a lot of him when he played for the Broncos and he was sensational.

Jakub Zboril is a .82ppg defenceman. Considering defensemen take longer to develop I would argue leaving him in juniors was a good move by Boston.

Zach Senyshyn is more than a ppg and is a big strong kid, also looks promising. 

Hard to judge what they did at this point but I think you will be surprised at how good they all are.

I think its more the fact they could have had Barzal and Kyle Connor who were the obvious picks at the time.  

Just now, DeNiro said:

From what I've seen he doesn't play like Doughty. Doughty is bigger, grittier, and plays much better in his own end. If scouts want him because he could be another Doughty type, that makes me want to draft him even less. This guy is a long shot to reach his potential IMO.

From what ive read he actually sounds a lot like juolevi but with more offensive upside and not a good defensively. He is a great passer and skater, his shot is better than joulevi's, and has been compared to oliver ekman larson.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

From what ive read he actually sounds a lot like juolevi but with more offensive upside and not a good defensively. He is a great passer and skater, his shot is better than joulevi's, and has been compared to oliver ekman larson.  

He's been compared to a few top defensemen.

I just think he's too risky though. So many things can go wrong in a defenseman's development to draft them that high.

Hopefully we end up drafting top 3 and it won't even matter.

Just now, DeNiro said:

That's fair.

If you want my honest opinion, Liljegren reminds me more of Brian Rafalski than anyone else. If rebuilding will take more than a couple of years, I wouldn't be upset if we took Liljegren and had this lineup on defence by the time we're ready to challenge for the playoffs again:

Juolevi - Liljegren (I see a real Lidstrom-Rafalski-like dynamic (a guy who's almost impossible to produce offence against and a more dynamic offensive type)

Tryamkin - Stetcher

Briesbois - Gudbranson

Many variables to consider obviously (like Hutton and Tanev possibly being traded sometime down the road for offensive help), but this is a scary looking defence. All guys who can move the puck up the ice very quickly, and has the perfect blend of skill, smarts and size. This is the kind of defence that's required to win in today's NHL. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I just think he's too risky though. So many things can go wrong in a defenseman's development to draft them that high.

This looks familiar from last draft :lol:

What if we took him at 3?! :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Ya he is a riskier pick but it could be worth the risk at 4 or 5 as he was touted as a franchise dman at the beginning of the season and was suppose to challenge for first overall. Obviously had a rough year with mono, but i believe he is able to play in the AHL next year so the canucks could keep a close eye on his development. 

7 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

That's fair.

If you want my honest opinion, Liljegren reminds me more of Brian Rafalski than anyone else. If rebuilding will take more than a couple of years, I wouldn't be upset if we took Liljegren and had this lineup on defence by the time we're ready to challenge for the playoffs again:

Juolevi - Liljegren (I see a real Lidstrom-Rafalski-like dynamic (a guy who's almost impossible to produce offence against and a more dynamic offensive type)

Tryamkin - Stetcher

Briesbois - Gudbranson

Many variables to consider obviously (like Hutton and Tanev possibly being traded sometime down the road for offensive help), but this is a scary looking defence. All guys who can move the puck up the ice very quickly, and has the perfect blend of skill, smarts and size. This is the kind of defence that's required to win in today's NHL. 

If both Juloevi and Liljegren reached their potrntial, for sure it's a no brainer.

I just think it's too risky because he's not a sure thing, and we already have Juolevi who projects anywhere from a good number 2 to a number 4 defenseman. If Liljegren tops out as a number 3-4 guy as well that still leaves us with no true number 1 D-man as well as a lack of scoring up front going forward.

Point is, if you're gonna use two top 5 picks on D-men back to back, you better make sure you're getting a number 1 guy. Otherwise that's an expensive cost for a couple 2nd pairing D-men.

• Upvote 1

I'm a little torn between Patrick and Hischier (spelling?) if we miraculously get the #1. Do you go for pretty good all around, with better size, but showing some injury risk; or do you go with better offense and speed, but size is a question mark, just waiting to get crunched into the boards and short circuit a career? I'm leaning Patrick, but yeah...injuries already. This might be the year to trade down and take a run at Mittlestadt or Rasmussen, plus gain draft picks. There is a Russian player, ranked somewhere around 20-25, whose name escapes me right now, that looks to be a serious goal scorer, with some serious size; that's intriguing.

I have updated my top 5 as follows, in order of who I am hoping the Canucks take in each spot, not how I think the draft will go.

1-Hischier- I think he will be the best player in the draft.  Could be the point producing skilled centre that we need.  Would slot in well with Horvat to set up a 1a/1b situation.  Reminds me alot of Drouin's playing style.

2-Patrick-  Not as dynamic as Hischier, but plays a better 2 way game.  Love his size and potential.  I think he could be a Sean Monaghan/Mark Scheifele type player for us.

3-Liljegren: Is the most dynamic defenseman in the draft.  Very strong skater.  Could be the 1st pairing offensive dman that we need.  

4-Vilardi-  Plays a similar  game to Horvat in that he has a strong overall game.  Pretty safe pick that will likely be a 2nd line 2 way centre

5-MIttelstadt- HIgh scoring Centre with good size.  Brings a skill level and scoring potential that we don't have with our current centers.  Boom or bust type player.  Although a centre, I think he brings a very similar skill set to Brock Boesser.

32 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

I'm a little torn between Patrick and Hischier (spelling?) if we miraculously get the #1. Do you go for pretty good all around, with better size, but showing some injury risk; or do you go with better offense and speed, but size is a question mark, just waiting to get crunched into the boards and short circuit a career? I'm leaning Patrick, but yeah...injuries already. This might be the year to trade down and take a run at Mittlestadt or Rasmussen, plus gain draft picks. There is a Russian player, ranked somewhere around 20-25, whose name escapes me right now, that looks to be a serious goal scorer, with some serious size; that's intriguing.

that Russian player/players could be Popugaev and Kostin. Popugaev is starting to be a riser in the draft as he had 51 points in 40 games with MJ before being traded to PG where he has fallen off a P/g pace but nevertheless still a good player with 18 points in 31 games. he's projected to be a pick late in the 1st so if the Sharks win the Cup and he slips into the last pick in the 1st round, I wouldn't mind taking a gamble on this kid. with Kostin, similar to Liljegren and Patrick, he's had a injury riddled campaign, putting up a point in 9 in the VHL but again, the upside and potential is there. in his age 16 year, he put up 21 points in 30 games in the MHL and he's another good gamble and probably a good one considering our knack for Russians now with Goldy and Tram. both of these guys are good kids and I'll be happy with either in our 2nd round pick even if they slip but with the likelihood of picking top 3, most likely we will pick a defenceman in the 2nd but we could potentially have CBJ 2nd also so I'll be happy with a forward and a defenceman, and possibly a goalie as well

• Upvote 1