The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

cut.jpg

Let the countdown begin!

10 Days To Go Till the biggest day of the season (excluding draft day of course).

Image result for canucks lotto drfat pics

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

This draft we could possibly get out future #1(a/b) Center or #1 Defense-man if Mr.JB decides to go that way for the next 10+ years. 
I actually enjoy reading most of the members posts & doing some reasonable predictions like the rest of us once in a while. With that, of course #1 is what we all are hoping for here & no matter what our past history has shown, I'm still looking at no worse than 5, lol. I mean #1.  

Anyways I'm hoping for the best but no matter what the lottery # is, I will still be happy & excited to see who we'll be adding to our prospect pool as the # is just a # until the kid actually arrives.

Then the real predictions will begin.

https://www.nhl.com/news/2017-nhl-draft-lottery-to-be-held-april-29/c-288660422

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League announced today the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery, used to determine the order of selection for the first 15 picks in the first round of the 2017 NHL Draft, will be held on Saturday, April 29 in Toronto. The results of the Draft Lottery will be announced shortly after 8 p.m. ET, during live coverage of the event on NBC, CBC and TVA. Coverage on CBC begins at 7:30 p.m., ET.

The 2017 NHL Draft Lottery will consist of three drawings: the 1st Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting first overall, the 2nd Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting second overall and the 3rd Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting third overall.

Participants in the Draft Lottery include the expansion Vegas Golden Knights, who begin play in the 2017-18 season, and all other Clubs that did not qualify for this season's Stanley Cup Playoffs (or Clubs that acquired the first-round picks of those non-Playoff Clubs).

The Golden Knights will be afforded the exact same lottery odds as the team finishing the regular season in 28th place -- or with the third-worst regular-season record. They will be guaranteed no lower than the sixth overall selection.

To accommodate the addition of a 15th team in the Draft Lottery, the odds for all other participating teams have been reduced proportionally from the odds utilized in last year's Draft Lottery.

The allocation of odds for the 1st Lottery Draw of the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery is as follows:

Non-Playoff Team
(Fewest Pts. to Most)   Odds

Colorado Avalanche   18.0%
*Vancouver Canucks   12.1%
Vegas Golden Knights *   10.3%
Arizona Coyotes   10.3%
New Jersey Devils   8.5%
Buffalo Sabres   7.6%
Detroit Red Wings   6.7%
Dallas Stars   5.8%
Florida Panthers   5.4%
Los Angeles Kings   4.5%
Carolina Hurricanes   3.2%
Winnipeg Jets   2.7%
Philadelphia Flyers   2.2%
Tampa Bay Lightning   1.8%
New York Islanders   0.9%

* Vegas assigned same lottery odds as the team finishing the regular season in 28th place

Edited by CoolCanucklehead

7 hours ago, SunnyHours said:

I don't want to take this off topic but stating that you sense someone might be in the autism spectrum isn't cool dude. I don't care if you're trying to be funny or not, that is not something to throw around. Canucks, among many other organizations, go to great lengths in helping those and their families who live with autism. That comment was completely unneccesary, show some respect and some class.  

I'm going to add you to my ignore list. 

Good on you, that comment was and is mean spirited. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, HKSR said:

2012 Top Scoring Leaders:  http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2012_leaders.html -- Kopitar at #15

2014 Top Scoring Leaders:  http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2014_leaders.html -- Kopitar at #16 (close enough lol)

Patrick Kane is a Top 10 player when healthy.  

If we wait until next year, we may not finish as low as this year.  If anything, we should be doing whatever we can to land Hischier or Patrick.

Totally agreed 

I may be wrong but I thought JB was gonna replicate what the Kings did with later picks, find gems that would be potentially future NHL players with high upside An star capability.After al we have not had a lot of luck with later picks.

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

Ok buddy, you, me, and everyone else on this forum knows what I'm getting at.  #15 or #17, doesn't matter, especially when the player(s) are tied in scoring.  I honestly sense some autism spectrum in you.  

You get all that from me just stating that facts.  Geesh.

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

Anyways, like I said, elite high-end skill needed.  We're unlikely to finish 2nd from the bottom again next year unless the Canucks have food poisoning and other imysterious llnesses that run them into the ground again.

And as I said, outside of Patrick and Nico, there really isn't elite high-end "top 15 in the world, point producing" skill.  So back to the discussion that you jumped in on, if canucks are picking 3-5 and Patrick and Nico are gone, I think Vilardi is a great pick up, Vilardi who has a similar game to Kopitar, nothing to flashy but high end IQ and able to put up solid numbers. 

Next year is likely more of the same for canucks, another bottom 5 finished.  But next years draft has a bunch of those "elite high-end skilled" players with Svechnikov and Dahlin leading the way.  Along with Tkachuk, Khovanov, Kravtsov, Merkley, Hughes, and McLeod.... plenty of high end talent. 

Svechnikov and Dahlin are in the eilte tier, (Matthews, Laine, Eichel, and Karlsson types).  If canucks are looking for a superstar, they are the players to go after. 

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

Glad I can add people to an 'ignore list'

Please do. 

15 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And as I said, outside of Patrick and Nico, there really isn't elite high-end "top 15 in the world, point producing" skill. 

That's a rather bold statement Forsy ;)

I don't think there's any 'for sure' elite talent (and I'd be pretty happy with top 20-30 myself FWIW) but there's plenty of guys with that upside (but with the inherent 'bust' risk).

Again, IMO, that's what the Canucks are likely shooting for. Whether that's drafting some other guys ahead of Vilardi, trading down to a guy like Suzuki etc...who knows? IMO, some other lucky team is going to get him (and likely be very happy with him) as I'm guessing he's not really on the Canucks radar.

If we pick top 2, we take Patrick/Hischier. If we're 3-5, I see us picking one of the other guys (Necas, Middelstadt etc) or trading down and grabbing Suzuki.

Only way I see us possibly selecting him is if we're picking 5th and Patrick, Hischier, Mittelstadt and Necas are all gone 1-4 and we haven't got anyone to bite on trading down. Even then, it's close between him and Glass IMO and they might still select Glass there. That's a lot of dominoes that need to fall the right way.

Ideally we get a top 2 pick and all of this is moot ::D

54 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That's a rather bold statement Forsy ;)

I don't think there's any 'for sure' elite talent (and I'd be pretty happy with top 20-30 myself FWIW) but there's plenty of guys with that upside (but with the inherent 'bust' risk).

Not too bold, sure a player could break through, but the chances of them become a top 15 player in the world? I'm not really going out on the limb with that statement .

Again, IMO, that's what the Canucks are likely shooting for. Whether that's drafting some other guys ahead of Vilardi, trading down to a guy like Suzuki etc...who knows? IMO, some other lucky team is going to get him (and likely be very happy with him) as I'm guessing he's not really on the Canucks radar.

Again, skill/flash doesn't necessary equal offensive production.  Kopitar, Wheeler, Leon, Barkov, Toews, Pavelski, aren't flashy but they consistently in the top 40 for offensive production.  I don't see why Vilardi can't be a 70+ point player in the NHL,  70 points would put him roughly in the top 20 each year.. 

If we pick top 2, we take Patrick/Hischier. If we're 3-5, I see us picking one of the other guys (Necas, Middelstadt etc) or trading down and grabbing Suzuki.

Only way I see us possibly selecting him is if we're picking 5th and Patrick, Hischier, Mittelstadt and Necas are all gone 1-4 and we haven't got anyone to bite on trading down. Even then, it's close between him and Glass IMO and they might still select Glass there. That's a lot of dominoes that need to fall the right way.

I just don't see the skill difference that you see. I see an offensive producing center that has a good two way game,  I think Casey might be more flashy, but that doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of total offensive production.  At 3 I take Vilardi, and then I consider taking casey at 4.  after that i'm trading down or trading the pick away in a package for a young play making center. 

Ideally we get a top 2 pick and all of this is moot ::D

I've done my fair share of simulators, and i'm constantly seeing teams in the 9-13 spot making there way into the top 2.  Wouldn't surprise me if this is the year a big jump happens.  . 

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Next year is likely more of the same for canucks, another bottom 5 finished.  But next years draft has a bunch of those "elite high-end skilled" players with Svechnikov and Dahlin leading the way.  Along with Tkachuk, Khovanov, Kravtsov, Merkley, Hughes, and McLeod.... plenty of high end talent. 

Svechnikov and Dahlin are in the eilte tier, (Matthews, Laine, Eichel, and Karlsson types).  If canucks are looking for a superstar, they are the players to go after.

So you're saying that next year the Sedins, Eriksson, and Edler have a resurgence, and the kids like Goldobin, Boeser, and Virtanen come in and put up 20+ each and get us back into the playoffs?

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So you're saying that next year the Sedins, Eriksson, and Edler have a resurgence, and the kids like Goldobin, Boeser, and Virtanen come in and put up 20+ each and get us back into the playoffs?

Yup. Pretty much

Need a D- draft from the Kelowna WHL team. I'd look at hiring who ever scouts for them to be new Canuck scouts.

The London Nights also to be a perennial powerhouse, can't go too far wrong drafting their players.

I just figure if you pick players from class junior teams you have a bit of a leg up, the player is probably better trained/coached and more developed as a team player.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

And forgot -- near-zero injuries.

All to be eliminated in the first round and fail miserably the next year when there's maybe 1 30 goal scorer in the draft. 

I've seen this play out before. 

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

All to be eliminated in the first round and fail miserably the next year when there's maybe 1 30 goal scorer in the draft. 

I've seen this play out before. 

This is why we should move Tanev AND Edler...

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'm game for that. 

Don't sign re-miller, let our first round pick get one more development year (not in the NHL).

Focus purely on development and draft a star in Svechnikov or get Dahlin or Brady as a consolation prize.

The question is which line up is the best and how do it fit with our core

2017 - Patrick/ Hischier

2018 - Svechnikov/ Dahlin/ Tkachuk

_____ _____ Boeser

Sven Horvat Goldy

27 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Can't trade both. Need to keep one. Defense would sorely lack experience. We can't just throw all our young guys out there at once. 

Maybe trade one of them in the off-season and see how the defense holds up until the trade deadline? Safer and more realistic imo. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'm game for that. 

Don't sign re-miller, let our first round pick get one more development year (not in the NHL).

Focus purely on development and draft a star in Svechnikov or get Dahlin or Brady as a consolation prize.

The question is which line up is the best and how do it fit with our core

2017 - Patrick/ Hischier

2018 - Svechnikov/ Dahlin/ Tkachuk

_____ _____ Boeser

Sven Horvat Goldy

IMO, we're at the point now where we have enough ready, young guys (particularly on D) that we can afford to move Edler/Tanev and fill holes with youth and cheap UFA's.

They'd just have us picking at +/- 10th instead of +/- 5th.

Hutton, Gudbranson

Sbisa, Stecher

Tryamkin, UFA (or maybe Juolevi)

Pedan, Biega, McEneny, UFA etc available as spares

Subban, Brisebois etc in Utica

That's not remotely a contending D core but it's 'good enough'  to a roll 3 pairs pretty even and for a team projecting to finish bottom 10 and it sure would set us up for the future nicely.

• Upvote 1