The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

My rankings for the draft:

whobh0.png

Obviously I'm no scout, but with the boring hockey Canucks have been playing this year, I found myself watching a lot of junior hockey. Didn't include goalies because I don't know what to look for. 

If Canucks aren't picking top 2, I would be happy with anybody in the 2nd group. 

For the rest of the players, I think Canucks will have a chance to draft at least 3 of them with their 33rd pick, Columbus pick, and 64th pick. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, TheHitman said:

If you draft BPA, Glass definitely isn't in the top 5. Drafting him if Heiskanen and Mittlestadt are still available would be a humongous mistake.

Please explain how Mittlestadt is better than Glass. Both have speed to burn. Both are roughly the same size. Glass' brother and dad are in the 6'5 area so there's hope that Cody catches up.

Cody is a true center whereas Casey is also a winger.

We have seen Glass 5v5 stats and are convinced he isn't just a pp guy but with developing he can be that guy too.

One thing I like to know is how both of them are on faceoffs.

I've seen the highlights of Mittlestadt and he scores with ease but they don't have a YouTube clip of Caseys fails so I don't know his weaknesses.

One thing I DO know is that Casey is almost an entire year older than Glass so it makes me wonder if he is somewhat of a big fish in a small pond when it comes to his high school stats and his USHL stats.

Regardless I'm truly ok with either of them as I think they are both the same but to suggest one is much superior to the other is just wrong.

I can see Green already having the entire playbook on Glass due to him being a Portland guy so much like Willie having a love for his Medicine Hat alumni, I can see Travis being the same.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, funkyfresh said:

whobh0.png

Obviously I'm no scout, but with the boring hockey Canucks have been playing this year, I found myself watching a lot of junior hockey. Didn't include goalies because I don't know what to look for. 

If Canucks aren't picking top 2, I would be happy with anybody in the 2nd group. 

For the rest of the players, I think Canucks will have a chance to draft at least 3 of them with their 33rd pick, Columbus pick, and 64th pick. 

Marcus Davidsson would also be a nice pick up as well. Wouldn't hurt to select 2 centers with our top 2 picks. Nicolas Hague would help us replace the loss of Tryamkin

Brannstrom could become a good selection as well.

Hopefully one of Conor Timmins or Robert Thomas can drop to 33

1 hour ago, funkyfresh said:

whobh0.png

Why Tippett at 28?

Edited by baumerman77

9 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Here's a question for everybody. If you are the Canucks GM and Kailer Yamamoto is available at 33 do you take him? 

Hell yes.

If he was at least 2 more inches and 20 more pounds he'd be a top 5 discussion. Guy is elite. 5'8 160lbs though. But hell yes I'd take him.

Mitch Marner was 5'10 when he was drafted and now he's 6'0. Kailer  Might just be a late bloomer. 

Edited by Odd.

46 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Here's a question for everybody. If you are the Canucks GM and Kailer Yamamoto is available at 33 do you take him? 

38 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Hell yes.

If he was at least 2 more inches and 20 more pounds he'd be a top 5 discussion. Guy is elite. 5'8 160lbs though. But hell yes I'd take him.

Mitch Marner was 5'10 when he was drafted and now he's 6'0. Kailer  Might just be a late bloomer. 

Exactly. The guy one of the best point producers in the CHL, and has an elite skill set. Easy decision. 

3 minutes ago, ColeTr11 said:

I bet you any money the Coyotes GM grabs a mid 1st like last year and takes Yamamoto or Liljigren if he drops enough

They already have the Wild's 1st from the Hanzal trade which looks like a win from their side plus their own. Don't know why they'd trade for another 1st round pick 

Very excited about tonight. No matter what happens, we're going to get a good player in the top 5. Quite frankly, Benning's list is probably similar to mine but without Glass since he's a great player but I'd pick him only if we drop but even if we do, there's plenty to choose from. This team is due a top 2 pick I tell you. If we don't get one, I won't be surprised but I will certainly be disappointed. That being said, top 2 guarantees us one of Hischier or Patrick which would be franchise changing to our team. Both I've raved about and believed in. If we win the lotto tonight, I mean we're due to win something, Hischier is probably Benning's pick and choice. He's everything we need. Speed, skill, playmaker, shooter and can display some Patrick Kane like moves once you give some time and space in the offensive zone. I'm really sold with this kid. He's the kid that will bring people to the arena and get you on the edge of your seat. Hopefully everyone enjoys the day and cheers!

Second pick overall is the coveted pick....these guys are so close the only difference will be the extra drive #2 has because of being picked there.

I think we should all run the draft lottery simulator until the Canucks win the #2 pick and then leave the page open until after the lottery....it just may psychically sway the balls that be...

The more I watch Ottawa (well, Karlsson) this playoffs and the more I watch film of the D-men this year, I'm no longer feeling depressed about possibly landing at 5. Here are my top 5:

1. Nolan Patrick
  2. Nico Hischier
  3. Miro Heiskanen
  4. Cale Makar
  5. Timothy Liljegren

Not saying that Heiskanen or Makar or Liljegren will be Karlsson, but I definitely think they have a chance. They are all actually pretty skilled and athletic and have the requisite high IQ on both ends of the ice. I am actually salivating at imagining Juolevi and one of those guys zipping all over the ice and making play after play on both ends. We can get our Center another way or another time.

3 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

The more I watch Ottawa (well, Karlsson) this playoffs and the more I watch film of the D-men this year, I'm no longer feeling depressed about possibly landing at 5. Here are my top 5:

1. Nolan Patrick
  2. Nico Hischier
  3. Miro Heiskanen
  4. Cale Makar
  5. Timothy Liljegren

Not saying that Heiskanen or Makar or Liljegren will be Karlsson, but I definitely think they have a chance. They are all actually pretty skilled and athletic and have the requisite high IQ on both ends of the ice. I am actually salivating at imagining Juolevi and one of those guys zipping all over the ice and making play after play on both ends. We can get our Center another way or another time.

I think Bennng might have Middlestadt at three?

I think Oettinger would be a great pick with our 2nd. His value will likely shoot up a couple years after the draft similar to Demko's. We would have a system in place to give him more than 5 years of development with Markstrom and Demko ahead of him on the depth chart. If/when Oettinger is looking ready for NHL games, Markstrom can be traded to make room. 

I've read a few times now that Patrick compares to Getzlaf and that Hischier compares to Datsyuk. And from what I've seen of each of those prospects, those are pretty good comparisons, albeit lofty ones. 

My question is, say that Patrick and Hischier both manage to live up to those comparisons, which player (IF their careers weren't near their ends) would you rather have; Getzlaf or Datsyuk?

From an entertainment standpoint I would take the dynamic Datsyuk. From a gritty leadership stand, it would definitely be Getzlaf. But because I have just watched the most boring, lowest scoring two seasons in Canuck history, my pick would have to be Datsyuk. Come on Canucks, please get Hischier!  

PS obviously this is an oversimplification, but it's still an interesting exercise. 

Edited by Canuck Drogo