The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

20 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Brooks bandits go 5-0 in RBC championship.  Makar with 4 goals 3 assists in those 5 games.  

Kid's the real deal, but he is ultimately very similar to Troy Stecher. Not the right pick for Vancouver.

Anybody clamouring for Makar here is underrating Troy. Stech should continue to make strides, I see more offense in his future.

Heiskanen is the only defender I'd explore at 5. Not even likely to be available.

I'd say draft day should present us with a choice of either Mittelstadt, Glass, Heiskanen, or Vilardi. Don't really want Vilardi (Bo 2.0), and Glass is a bit iffy for me (I believe he does have an Xfactor, I just don't have great confidence it all translates to the pro game). Even Mittelstadt worries me a touch, but he'd be my guy. 

If I'm Jumbo I explore every possible trade scenario.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

Brooks bandits go 5-0 in RBC championship.  Makar with 4 goals 3 assists in those 5 games.  

Wow!  That's impressive stats.  He's gotta move up into the top five now.   

32 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I really want Vilardi, he looks like the Draisaitl of this draft.

Even if his skating doesn't pick up that combination of size and skill is undeniable.

Whoever it is, we need a true playmaker with vision and creativity who can deliver passes.  Fortunately Goldobin appears to have that kind of skill, but we need a C with it as well.

Brooks Bandits and the Penticton Vees will represent the west in the 2017 RBC cup with tournament defensive scoring lead Makar heading the western defensive corps.

He's going to raise his stock for sure

14 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Wasn't Shaw matthias the memorial cup MVP?

Lol dude your hilarious. Even though you made me laugh, I still disagree. What do you not like about Vilardi? Aside from his skating which isn't even that bad, he's great in every category. He was the best player on his team, with guys like Sergachev and Brown in the team. Who did London have Juolevi out against in the playoffs?

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

See below.

We have Horvat who plays near 220 lbs. Sutter is not small. Gaunce is a big boy. If we need size up front, it's on the wing (in a big way)? Gaudette is 6'1''.

What we need at pivot is someone with wicked speed, agility & puck skills. The most obvious guys then appear to be Necas & Mittlestead? But that again is based on need. If you go BPA Vilardi, Glass & Heskainen remain, heavily, in the debate.

I like Mittelstadt a lot, and Necas is a good prospect, but if Vilardi is on the board we have to take him. He's a leader and one of those guys with higher then average drive to get better. He is top 3 in 17 year old points for ohl this year I believe. I just don't like him cause he's big, but it helps.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Steaming bag of hot garbage. 

Juolevi     Tkachuk

6              5            Hockey Prospect

11            4            ISS Hockey

11            5            Future Considerations

5              4            McKeens

5              2            NHL Central Scouting

6              4            TSN/McKenzie

• Upvote 1

The 2018 looks pretty heavy on defenders with maybe 5 or 6 going in the top-10. It might be the first time in a long time that two or 3 defencemen make the top-5 as well. Dahlin is an obvious 1st overall but the Bouchers are there, Addison, Hughes and Merkley are all decent point-getters from the blueline. A lot can happen in a year, but I think we gun hard for a defenceman in 2018 and go for a top center in the 2017 draft, because center-wise it looks a lot weaker next year.

Heiskanen looks fantasti, Vilimaki is an interesting pick and Makar is more or less the same as Stecher albeit better, but I think we take a center with this draft and hold our horses for a D-man next year. If we win the 2018 loterry and get Dahlin we instantly become a Cup contender in a few years time but if not, there are a lot of decent defencemen.

Tippett is the only dark-horse this draft, but JB knows that the Canucks have enough wingers. Time to snag us a center and hopefully he'll pick the guy who can score 50-70 points in 2-3 years time.

5 hours ago, nergish said:

Kid's the real deal, but he is ultimately very similar to Troy Stecher. Not the right pick for Vancouver.

Anybody clamouring for Makar here is underrating Troy. Stech should continue to make strides, I see more offense in his future.

Heiskanen is the only defender I'd explore at 5. Not even likely to be available.

I'd say draft day should present us with a choice of either Mittelstadt, Glass, Heiskanen, or Vilardi. Don't really want Vilardi (Bo 2.0), and Glass is a bit iffy for me (I believe he does have an Xfactor, I just don't have great confidence it all translates to the pro game). Even Mittelstadt worries me a touch, but he'd be my guy. 

If I'm Jumbo I explore every possible trade scenario.

I agree on the Stetcher bit, but you would turn down a Bo 2.0?

7 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I like Mittelstadt a lot, and Necas is a good prospect, but if Vilardi is on the board we have to take him. He's a leader and one of those guys with higher then average drive to get better. He is top 3 in 17 year old points for ohl this year I believe. I just don't like him cause he's big, but it helps.

Drafting and scouting will be a big determinant of who we/other teams pick. Vilardi and Mittelstatd and Glass and Necas are all fringe top-line centers, really should consider them future 2nd line centers on most good teams. Whether it's the Canucks or another team who has to decide on Vilardi VS Mittelstatd, this will be one pick that gets watched down the line for years, similar to the Virtanen/Nylander pick, because it honestly could go either way. This is where the elite teams' scouting helps - they pick the right guy most of the time and we don't

I agree it's probably Mittelstadt or Vilardi who's picked along with Heiskanen, and we will get the left overs. I hope the American teams go for Mittelstadt and need defenceman, and we get Vilardi. Bo, Vilardi, Boeser, Juolevi, Demko ect and it's starting to look ok.

21 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Juolevi     Tkachuk

6              5            Hockey Prospect

11            4            ISS Hockey

11            5            Future Considerations

5              4            McKeens

5              2            NHL Central Scouting

6              4            TSN/McKenzie

Fascinating!

Says literally nothing about who the best player was or will be in 5 years fyi but that's great that you can copy readily accessible numbers from a bunch of websites. A real talent. 

11 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Bob McKenzies draft has been a fairly accurate predictor of the draft (he polls about 15-20 scouts)...Scouting agencies watch these players game in-game out (more so than you and me could)..I'm more inclined to take their opinion other than a single blogger on a hockey forum..

In fact,if we had just picked BPA since 2014..we would most likely have our new first line already in place

:bored: