The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

7 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

No they didn't...Most mock drafts last year had the Canucks picking PLD or Tkachuk at 5...Matthews, and the two big Fins (Laine,and Puljijarvi) were universally forecasted to go 1-2-3........

I have no problem with Juolevi being the Canucks pick,but saying most mock drafts had us picking him is completely false..Who's making up this narrative?...He wasn't the BPA...

No he wasn't the bpa, he ranked from 6-10 in a most rankings, it wasn't far off and ya a lot of mock drafts had us taking him. 

18 minutes ago, cyoung said:

No he wasn't the bpa, he ranked from 6-10 in a most rankings, it wasn't far off and ya a lot of mock drafts had us taking him. 

In the 2014 Consensus Draft Joulevi was ranked #7..and no,hardly any mock drafts had us picking him ..It was widely predicted we would be picking PLD and Tkachuk.....The only hints that we were taking Juolevi, was by Benning/Linden.

There's good players in the 2017 draft,..I would like the Canucks to pick the BPA,and not go by positional need.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

In the 2014 Consensus Draft Joulevi was ranked #7..and no,hardly any mock drafts had us picking him ..It was widely predicted we would be picking PLD and Tkachuk.....The only hints that we were taking Juolevi, was by Benning/Linden.

There's good players in the 2017 draft,..I would like the Canucks to pick the BPA,and not go by positional need.

At this point, the BPA is going to be a positional need regardless.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Tkachuk > Laine

lulz

There's lots of interesting predictions, and we could cherry pick quite a few (check out where some peeps had Jake Virtanen in 2014)....Even with all of the dumb ass predictions, the 2016 consensus draft looked like this..

1 Auston Matthews 328 C ZSC Lions (SWI) 6' 1" 210
2 Patrik Laine 320 RW Tappara (FIN) 6' 4" 206
3 Jesse Puljujarvi 309 RW Karpat (FIN) 6' 3" 203
4 Matthew Tkachuk 289 LW London (OHL) 6' 1" 195
5 Pierre-Luc Dubois 278 C/LW Cape Breton (QMJHL) 6' 2" 202
6 Alexander Nylander 256 RW/LW Mississauga (OHL) 6' 0" 179
7 Olli Juolevi 253 D London (OHL) 6' 2" 185

36 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Tkachuk > Laine

lulz

Central Scouting does a North American list and Euro list. Matthews, Laine and Pulj would've been ranked in the Euro category, leaving PLD and Tkachuk as the 1-2 punch out of North America.

Edited by VanIslander89
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, VanIslander89 said:

Central Scouting does a North American list and Euro list. Matthews, Laine and Pulj would've been ranked in the Euro category, leaving PLD and Tkachuk as the 1-2 punch out of North America.

lulz

Ahem....

Why are we still discussing the top 5 candidates here whilst there is already a #5 forum already existent? 

I prefer to discuss #33, possible CBJ pick (#57?) And #64

I believe there is a ton of talent at each spot. Guys being churned out of USHL, Sweden, etc...

Guys like;

Max Gildon D 

Dylan Samberg D

Grant Mismash C

Strome LW

Scott Reedy RW

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Ahem....

Why are we still discussing the top 5 candidates here whilst there is already a #5 forum already existent? 

I believe there is a ton of talent at each spot. Guys being churned out of USHL, Sweden, etc...

Guys like;

Max Gildon D 

Dylan Samberg D

Grant Mismash C

Strome LW

Scott Reedy RW

Toto, dont forget him! Great even strength primary points.

Jacob Tortora USHL. 

8 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Lol dude your hilarious. Even though you made me laugh, I still disagree. What do you not like about Vilardi? Aside from his skating which isn't even that bad, he's great in every category. He was the best player on his team, with guys like Sergachev and Brown in the team. Who did London have Juolevi out against in the playoffs?

Call it a gut feeling. I'm not saying I'm not wrong. He just doesn't pass the eye test for me. Of course if JB calls his name he will have my full support going forward.  

3 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Ahem....

Guys like;

Max Gildon D 

Dylan Samberg D

Grant Mismash C

Strome LW

Scott Reedy RW

I'm liking Dman Connor Timmins at 33

think he'll be a great pick 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Bob McKenzies draft has been a fairly accurate predictor of the draft (he polls about 15-20 scouts)...Scouting agencies watch these players game in-game out (more so than you and me could)..I'm more inclined to take their opinion other than a single blogger on a hockey forum..

In fact,if we had just picked BPA since 2014..we would most likely have our new first line already in place

Or we were wrong on who the BPA was... or we may have been right. We won't know for a few more years.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I'm liking Dman Connor Timmins at 33

think he'll be a great pick 

Timmins would be great but he will surely be gone by 33.

Max Gildon is one to watch out for as he is 6'3 190 lbs, has done supurb job for USNDTP all year and was really involved in driving the offense for USA at the U18. Central scouting had him around #54

Dylan Samberg played for Waterloo with Shane Bowers and like Gildon is also the same size. He might be a good consideration for 3rd rnd

Scott Reedy has size, hands and could be a more physical version of Boeser or more like Christian Fischer or  JT Miller.

6'1 200lbs, he could very well sneak an inch plus 5 lbs. Committed to U of Minnesota he will be a teammate and possible linemate of Mittlestadt 

Mismash committed to North Dakota is an abrasive center that seems to bag timely goals. Most likely has an ability to score a game winner while seriously pissing the opposition off

With Tryamkin gone, Tanev likely to be traded, 2 prospects Neill and Olsen not being signed, it's safe to say that D is a major area we need to draft as well as playmaking centers.

5 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Ahem....

Guys like;

Max Gildon D 

Dylan Samberg D

Grant Mismash C

Strome LW

Scott Reedy RW

Don't forget Joshua Norris.

6'1 196lbs playmaking center.  PPG in the USHL (26 points (12g 14a) in 25gp). And put up 60 points (27g 33a) in 61gps with the National U18 team. Also did really good in the u18's. He's projected around the 30th-35th range. Wouldn't mind snabbing him. 

He's committed to University of Michigan. Lockwood also plays there.

6 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Ahem....

Guys like;

Max Gildon D 

Dylan Samberg D

Grant Mismash C

Strome LW

Scott Reedy RW

It's harder to discuss since there's ton a players I want that likely don't drop, so it's hard to say I want a player when he may not be there, but going off rough predictions between the 33-64 range these are the players I’d like.

Browers – Smart two way center who can put up points.

Ratcliffe – Size and more size.  Seems to skate ok, used his body and decent hands in tight

Timmins – Smooth skating and very smart D, perfect new age D for today’s style.

Chmelevski - Elite skilled center/ Elite dangler with speed

Chekhovich – Another highly skilled center/takeaway king, ppg in the QMJHL, and one of the top players in the U18

Samberg –Heavy hitting D, plays an all-around game

Walsh – High offense and mobile D, pure PPQB

I think we might shy away from them but I would love to get one of those two Russians centers.  Chmelevski is american born so there's far less risk but they both have very high ceilings, they could be the offensive skilled centers that we are looking for on the first line. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I completely agree.  J.R has troubles understanding what consensus means,  When 9 out of 10 scouting reports have Tkachuk ranked as a the 5th best player in the draft, the general agreement is that Tkachuk was the BPA for the canucks. 

It's the the same thing with the 2014 draft.  9 out of 11 scouting reports had Nylander ranked higher than Jake, so the consensus is that Nylander was more well regarded as a better draft option than Jake Virtanen.

• Upvote 2