The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

This guy is becoming my favourite player in the draft. His hands an awareness are elite. I'm not too concerned about his size, and I think he should be equally focused on his edgework/explosiveness. He plays kind of like a taller, not as fast/quick Ehlers.

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This guy is becoming my favourite player in the draft. His hands an awareness are elite. I'm not too concerned about his size, and I think he should be equally focused on his edgework/explosiveness. He plays kind of like a taller, not as fast/quick Ehlers.

Pettersson plays a similar game to John Tavares. Some of the guys in Sweden like comparing him to Rodin, because Rodin is kind of a stud name over there. Pettersson is a complete hockey player with an abundant amount of offensive tools and a knack for the defensive game. He could have one of the highest ceilings in the draft if developed properly.

1 3.png Nolan Patrick (C/RW) Brandon Wheat Kings WHL 14 9 14 23 19 
2 10.png Nico Hischier (C) Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 43 37 39 76 18 
3 6.png Casey Mittelstadt (C/LW) Green Bay Gamblers USHL 16 8 13 21
4 1.png Elias Pettersson (C/LW) Timrå IK Allsvenskan 33 15 18 33 10 
5 3.png Gabriel Vilardi (C) Windsor Spitfires OHL 33 19 21 40 10 
6 8.png Martin Necas (C) HC Kometa Brno Czech 35 6 7 13
7 1.png Timothy Liljegren (D) Rögle BK SHL 19 1 4 5
8 3.png Cale Makar (D) Brooks Bandits AJHL 42 16 39 55 12 
9 2.png Miro Heiskanen (D) HIFK Liiga 30 5 5 10
10 3.png Isaac Ratcliffe (LW) Guelph Storm OHL 48 23 19 42 53 

11 1.png Lias Andersson (C/LW) HV71 SHL 32 6 5 11 16 
12 3.png Owen Tippett (RW) Mississauga Steelheads OHL 47 38 27 65 26 
13 3.png Callan Foote (D) Kelowna Rockets WHL 52 5 36 41 28 
14 2.png Eeli Tolvanen (LW) Sioux City Musketeers USHL 31 17 15 32
15 3.png Michael Rasmussen (C) Tri-City Americans WHL 50 32 23 55 50 
16 3.png Shane Bowers (C) Waterloo Black Hawks USHL 40 15 17 32 16 
17 9.png Alexei Lipanov (C) Dynamo Balashikha VHL 17 3 4 7
18 3.png Maxime Comtois (LW) Victoriaville Tigres QMJHL 47 16 21 37 54 
19 3.png Cody Glass (C) Portland Winterhawks WHL 51 24 47 71 28 
20 6.png Ryan Poehling (C) St. Cloud State Univ. NCAA 27 6 3 9 12 

21 3.png Nicolas Hague (D) Mississauga Steelheads OHL 47 14 21 35 76 
22 6.png Kailer Yamamoto (C/LW) Spokane Chiefs WHL 45 30 34 64 26 
23 9.png Nikita A. Popugayev (RW) Moose Jaw Warriors WHL 40 22 29 51 14 
24 9.png Klim Kostin (RW) Dynamo Moskva KHL 8 0 0 0 27 
25 2.png Urho Vaakanainen (D) JYP Liiga 31 2 1 3 12 
26 3.png Nicholas Suzuki (C) Owen Sound Attack OHL 47 25 34 59
27 1.png Marcus Davidsson (C/W) Djurgårdens IF SHL 34 5 3 8
28 3.png Matthew Strome (LW) Hamilton Bulldogs OHL 48 28 16 44 44 
29 3.png Nathan Schnarr (C) Guelph Storm OHL 35 12 13 25 11 
30 2.png Kristian Vesalainen (LW/RW) Frölunda HC SHL 22 1 5 6

31 3.png Pierre-Olivier Joseph (D) Charlottetown Islanders QMJHL 46 6 28 34 32
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Pettersson plays a similar game to John Tavares. Some of the guys in Sweden like comparing him to Rodin, because Rodin is kind of a stud name over there. Pettersson is a complete hockey player with an abundant amount of offensive tools and a knack for the defensive game. He could have one of the highest ceilings in the draft if developed properly.

He seems like he has a reasonable amount of risk for a very high reward. His awareness and playmaking ability would compliment our forward core very nicely with Horvat and Boeser. He would add some high end skill. 

I would be curious to hear if you think he's more of a center or a winger at the next level?

My wants in order.

Hischier (Immediate drop in to the AHL)

Liljegren (Immediate drop to the AHL)

Foote (Immediate ask to try a European league to work on skating fundamentals)

Pederson (Immediate entrance to the CHL if possible)

The main reason I am not enamoured with Middlestadt is his being in high school programs.  The quality of competition is so questionable and while his nifty moves are all fancy etc, how would they do against a quality CHL defender?

16 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

He seems like he has a reasonable amount of risk for a very high reward. His awareness and playmaking ability would compliment our forward core very nicely with Horvat and Boeser. He would add some high end skill. 

I would be curious to hear if you think he's more of a center or a winger at the next level?

Defs more of a W. I heard only played C becuase of injuries on his team.

51 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Stuff like that depends on the line he's put with and whether there's a more viable center. It's all about roles, if they want him playing his dominant two-way game, he's a center. If they want him attacking, he's a winger. I haven't been too impressed with his strength in the circle and ability to win faceoffs, though. 

49 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Stuff like that depends on the line he's put with and whether there's a more viable center. It's all about roles, if they want him playing his dominant two-way game, he's a center. If they want him attacking, he's a winger. I haven't been too impressed with his strength in the circle and ability to win faceoffs, though. 

I would expect that his faceoff ability would not be good being a smaller and younger player. 

With his lack of strength, I would be expecting a winger as he might not be able to effectively contain bigger players in the defensive zone. If we could land him as a skilled, creative, offensive winger

that would be great for us. 

The only thing that would worry me is that we have Baertschi who already plays he soft, skilled player on the left side. That means unless Petterson becomes a 1st line guy, he and Baertschi will be competing for the same spot. Even if we trade on of them eventually, we haven't added to our forward core. 

1 hour ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Defs more of a W. I heard only played C becuase of injuries on his team.

That seems reasonable. His defensive game is deemed good too, however. I just don't want people to see the high skill/weaker player and assume he doesn't play defense. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Warhippy said:

My wants in order.

Hischier (Immediate drop in to the AHL)

Liljegren (Immediate drop to the AHL)

Foote (Immediate ask to try a European league to work on skating fundamentals)

Pederson (Immediate entrance to the CHL if possible)

The main reason I am not enamoured with Middlestadt is his being in high school programs.  The quality of competition is so questionable and while his nifty moves are all fancy etc, how would they do against a quality CHL defender?

I can see your point about Mittelstadt, but that route of development is proving not to be a bad choice - example Johnny Gaudreau, Blake Wheeler, Kyle Okposo, Nick Schmaltz and few other recent first rounders out of the US development system. In the highlights below he dangles Urho Vaakanainen, who is slated to go first round this year as well, out of his pants. That could be taken as a measure CHL high end comparable defenders. What sells me is his change of pace more than anything. He has the fastest few steps that I've seen out of any of these prospects and he can do it even in mid stride as well. On top of the he has some slick hands and nice presence physically. I would happy with quiet a few prospects from this draft including those you mentioned, even though this is supposed to have "lower end" talent, but I just hope we take the right player at the right position. If Patrick, Hischier, and Liljegren are off the board when we pick and Mittelstadt is still available, I will be pretty upset if we don't take him honestly. 

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Upvote 2

The difference between Mittelstadt and Johnny Gaudreau, Nick Schmaltz is they played their whole draft year in the USHL  whereas Mittelstadt decided to go back to his high school league for the middle portion of this season.  I still think hes a top 5 player in this draft but it does raise some red flags for me.  I'd wait and see how he does going back to finish his USHL season and if he can perform good at the u18's again before making any judgments on him.       

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, wellnon said:

The difference between Mittelstadt and Johnny Gaudreau, Nick Schmaltz is they played their whole draft year in the USHL  whereas Mittelstadt decided to go back to his high school league for the middle portion of this season.  I still think hes a top 5 player in this draft but it does raise some red flags for me.  I'd wait and see how he does going back to finish his USHL season and if he can perform good at the u18's again before making any judgments on him.       

I can see your point. The kid just wants to be a high school hero so I can't blame him! haha But your right in saying that his return to the USHL and into the spring at the U18's well show where he is truly at and whether or not he is worth the high pick. He should be able to improve upon his role and totals from later years tournament at the U18's. I do think the college route in general is a good path for the Canucks high picks though as there is less pressure for them to perform or make the team in the initial years if they are committed to a university already.  

• Upvote 2

Mittlestadt was leading the USHL in points with 21 points in 16 games played. Mittlestadt went back to High school because he had unfinished business with his Eden Prairie team. They lost in the finals and Mittlestadt was chocked about it. Mittlestadt also said he grew up with those players on his team since pond hockey so it was an easy decision to go back for 1 more year. 

Since he's committed to the University of Minnesota, it might take him a few years before he's in the NHL. Canucks love the college route (Stecher, Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood, Demko, Garteig) too. This guy could be a steal for anyone that's drafting 4th-6th overall.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

I can see your point. The kid just wants to be a high school hero so I can't blame him! haha But your right in saying that his return to the USHL and into the spring at the U18's well show where he is truly at and whether or not he is worth the high pick. He should be able to improve upon his role and totals from later years tournament at the U18's. I do think the college route in general is a good path for the Canucks high picks though as there is less pressure for them to perform or make the team in the initial years if they are committed to a university already.  

Im pretty sure Mittelstadt will be too old for the U18s if he's already 18 lol 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Im pretty sure Mittelstadt will be too old for the U18s if he's already 18 lol 

Whoops! Yeah your right. I just quickly assumed because there were a lot of guys from last years draft playing in that tournament in 2016, but obviously it all depends on birth dates. Too bad though, it would of been good to seen him compete on the international level again. 

• Upvote 1