The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Just now, Brobidus said:

Not at all. But at the moment we are lacking something in our system. At least in my opinion. Would be nice to have some more flash. 
Yes I totally agree with Liljegren being in that list.

Yup, we need more skill for sure. We're looking 'ok' on D (though Liljegren sure wouldn't hurt there either) but at forward we need some extra pieces for sure.

Pretty sure that's the plan though. Boeser, a key, top 10 skilled forward likely in this draft, perhaps a trade and maybe a nice UFA in a few years and our top 9 doesn't look so bad added to Horvat, Baer, Granlund, Eriksson, Sutter and eventually, likely some mix of Gaudette, Lockwood, maybe Zhukenov etc, etc.

8 minutes ago, cookieeater55 said:

that would be pretty awesome

drafting one of patrick or nico would do wonders for us 

The Jets did it through a few drafts though, so it would take a few years to catch up in that department, though Comrie is their only real goalie prospect.

P.S. don't eat me.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'd still take Liljegren or Foote with our first this year.  OMG took more D booo

How'd that work out for Anaheim/Pitts/CBJ etc who either drafted or ensured they picked up highly drafted D via trade.  People are way to quick to dismiss quality D men

Having more than enough top quality D is never an issue IMO in a rebuild

Philly is also stacked with young D:

Provorov, Ghost, Morin, Sanheim

Nashville has always focused on D

Hamhuis, Weber, Sutter, Josi, Ellis, Ekholm

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yep, they are a D producing machine, just think if they didn't loose Sutter and Hamhuis in free agency and turned those players into huge returns. 

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet. So nashville was clearly all about defence for the longest time. They were pretty competitive for a while. After recently switching focus from D for offence I don't find them half as good of a team.

15 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet. So nashville was clearly all about defence for the longest time. They were pretty competitive for a while. After recently switching focus from D for offence I don't find them half as good of a team.

They've made the post season 9 of the last 12 years, they've been able to remain fairly consistent.  I think they've just been trying to change along with the league into bring in more skill and speed.  It doesn't help when you loose some of those top end D for nothing in free agency. 

41 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Philly is also stacked with young D:

Provorov, Ghost, Morin, Sanheim

Nashville has always focused on D

Hamhuis, Weber, Sutter, Josi, Ellis, Ekholm

Except Philly couldn't find a goalie to save their life.  We owned the Moniker of "goalie graveyard" for decades but nobody ever piped up about a Flyers team that hasn't had a netminder since Hextall.  Imagine how good that team would be if they had a Miller this season or anyone really.

The phrase is offense wins you games, defense wins you championships.  I'd have 0 problems with Liljegren or Foote this year and even Dahlin next year if the opportunity presented itself.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but this smells a bit like 'Benning only acquires meat and potatoes' nonsense I sometimes see on here which is both absurd and entirely inaccurate.

Juolevi = meat and Zhukenov potatoes.?

Tryamkin & Boeser = gravy...

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Except Philly couldn't find a goalie to save their life.  We owned the Moniker of "goalie graveyard" for decades but nobody ever piped up about a Flyers team that hasn't had a netminder since Hextall.  Imagine how good that team would be if they had a Miller this season or anyone really.

The phrase is offense wins you games, defense wins you championships.  I'd have 0 problems with Liljegren or Foote this year and even Dahlin next year if the opportunity presented itself.

They can find them, they just like to trade them away,  Bobrovsky is one top end goalie

For the record, although we def need an infusion of talent up front, we also need a fully stocked cupboard on D.

Juolevi is considered blue chip, Brisbois making a case for himself. But there is not a generation of D waiting in the wings. It won't hurt to continue to draft D.

Where I advocated we had a void in our D to be attended to in recent years > At this stage I'm arguing BPA?

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I would do terrible terrible things to have that kid.  

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I'd still take Liljegren or Foote with our first this year.  OMG took more D booo

How'd that work out for Anaheim/Pitts/CBJ etc who either drafted or ensured they picked up highly drafted D via trade.  People are way to quick to dismiss quality D men

Having more than enough top quality D is never an issue IMO in a rebuild :)

It's never a bad idea to have depth in any position.

However, we're totally void of offensive talent. After Boeser, we have no real blue chip forward prospects. Is there any team in the NHL this shallow in the forward department? I don't think so... 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Having more than enough top quality D is never an issue IMO in a rebuild :)

I 100% agree with you here and have said it for a while now. I think Liljegren would be a great pick. Another awesome defender would be perfect With the usual scenario of defenders taking longer to mature the Canucks would have so many players being ready at the same time. I would like to see another good defender picked up this year and then load up on skilled forwards from next year on wards.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Benning has taken meat and potato's guys,  I cant disagree with that statement entirely,  but a 200 foot player is what you need as the foundation of the team. If you dont have players who play responsibly and with heart then you are destined to have a team that is inconsistent.  One night they can be brilliant but other nights if it doesnt go well its a shambles. I  see that Benning is looking to build a playoff caliber team. I think another 2-3 years patience and we just may see what many of us have been hoping for....

The team lacks top quality brilliance in attack, but I think thats the last piece that should be added. Kind of like a cake if you will. The goalie and defenders are the cake, 200 foot players make up the buttercream to cover the cake and the high end flashy attackers are the sparkles and candy on top.

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I would do terrible terrible things to have that kid.  

Image result for creepy wink gif

19 minutes ago, guntrix said:

It's never a bad idea to have depth in any position.

However, we're totally void of offensive talent. After Boeser, we have no real blue chip forward prospects. Is there any team in the NHL this shallow in the forward department? I don't think so... 

As has been pointed out and continues to be repeated and parroted in the JUolevi/Virtanen threads.

We can draft or find players in their rookie to +1/+2 years to drive forward offense

But having those pure blue chip defensemen takes longer to develop and are almost impossible to trade for.  Picking up 40-65 point forwards isn't as hard as a 19+ minute 35+ point defenseman

14 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

I 100% agree with you here and have said it for a while now. I think Liljegren would be a great pick. Another awesome defender would be perfect With the usual scenario of defenders taking longer to mature the Canucks would have so many players being ready at the same time. I would like to see another good defender picked up this year and then load up on skilled forwards from next year on wards.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Benning has taken meat and potato's guys,  I cant disagree with that statement entirely,  but a 200 foot player is what you need as the foundation of the team. If you dont have players who play responsibly and with heart then you are destined to have a team that is inconsistent.  One night they can be brilliant but other nights if it doesnt go well its a shambles. I  see that Benning is looking to build a playoff caliber team. I think another 2-3 years patience and we just may see what many of us have been hoping for....

The team lacks top quality brilliance in attack, but I think thats the last piece that should be added. Kind of like a cake if you will. The goalie and defenders are the cake, 200 foot players make up the buttercream to cover the cake and the high end flashy attackers are the sparkles and candy on top.

I watch Cal and Nolan Foote frequently in Kelowna.

Callan has all the makings of a great defenseman and Nolan is looking to be a possible top 20 pick in 2019 draft year.  Foote if we're 9-12 is a surefire good thing for this team.  Liljegren even better.  But neither is a bad idea knowing that offense can be had far easier via trade waiver or draft

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I watch Cal and Nolan Foote frequently in Kelowna.

Callan has all the makings of a great defenseman and Nolan is looking to be a possible top 20 pick in 2019 draft year.  Foote if we're 9-12 is a surefire good thing for this team.  Liljegren even better.  But neither is a bad idea knowing that offense can be had far easier via trade waiver or draft

If we can get another 1st round pick, depending on how far Lilegren drops, might be able to snag him as well. He's injured right? 

I like Cal Foote as well. The Canucks can never have enough young dman prospects, don't think that's ever  happened in the franchise's history.