The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

30 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I wouldn't do that. Tanev is worth a first regardless and you could easily package a mid first and second for a top ten pick.

If you could package a mid first and a 2nd for a top 10 pick we'd be seeing that done a little more often then never. I was saying that that's the absolute max I'd go on a deal where I felt like we were giving up too much but our need for top talent I'd still do it.

Pettersson was someone who really intrigued me earlier in the year, but then he fell off my radar for a little while. He's now back on it. He's a high IQ, playmaking center who put up BIG numbers on Sweden. He outscored players like Forsberg, Nylander and Wennberg in their draft years. He's a very smart player that can find open lanes in the offensive zone. He's got smooth hands, a good shot and a good top speed. He really thrives on finding the soft spots in the offensive zone and giving himself some extra time to make a better play. He played this past year in a men's league, which is better competition than most other forwards in this draft class. His physical tools aren't where they need to be, but his IQ is and that is the most important thing. 

However, I think he will need to put in a lot of work to play the type of game he does at the next level. His physical tools are not very good, as I mentioned. He is built really thin; he measured in at the combine at 6'2, 165lbs. The weight is concerning, especially considering that his older brother hasn't filled out much either. However, the main thing that I don't like revolves around his skating. His acceleration isn't great and he gets knocked off the puck way too easily. His balance and edgework could also use some work. He's going to have to really commit to bettering himself physically if he wants to make an impact as a top-6 center in the NHL.

Now, with that said, I think that he can improve himself enough if he is willing to commit and he has support off the ice. If we were to draft Pettersson, he would be more of a long-term investment. For next year, ideally he signs and comes over to the AHL. There, we can have trainers work with him personally and really give him every opportunity to excel off the ice. Playing games would be less of a concern. For the first 4-6 months, I would keep him on a strict off ice routine and rotate him into the lineup every 2-3 games. The main focus would be on physical improvement. At about the midway point of the season, he should start getting more regular minutes with the team, provided he earns them. The first year would be all about adjustment; what he does on the ice is less important. A big factor in his adjustment would be the fact that he would be with his friend Dahlen, who would help him out off the ice. If we are willing to play the long game with Pettersson and commit to improving him, he could very well be worth the risk. 

Side note: A line of Dahlen - Pettersson - Virtanen would be fun to watch in Utica. I'm not sure who originally suggested that idea,  but I like it. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Just thinking about his voice makes me want to put him through a &^@#ing wall. 

He definitely has one of the most hated voices in hockey but he's at least aware of his hatred. Can't finish the NHL season without booing Bettman that's for sure haha

On 6/6/2017 at 2:28 AM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

We have leaders, Kane isn't a leader (either), Kessel isn't a leader, heck Messier was the bigger leader than Gretzky, but who would you want if you had a chance to pick either.  Not sure Gretzky has ever done a pull up. 

Gold! 

Gretzky is aces. Could not run over people. Not the most imposing specimen.  

Defies so much actually?

With ease...

But I'll be fracked, you made me laugh so hard. Partly because it was so correct.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

You can get hurt walking across the street... definitely a higher chance racing around (fastest skater) and leaning in on a clapper (hardest shot). 

It be nice to see obviously but I just don't think it will happen. Why do you think every year a few big names try to avoid the the all-star/ skills comp?

Completely different though they aren't trying to break into the league. And they are usually tired and sore and ya one of the only breaks for players to rest before the playoff push. I think that's quite a different comparison.

NFL players do 40 yard dashs to show how fast they are under pressure NHL players should do something to show hockey skills

10 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Pettersson was someone who really intrigued me earlier in the year, but then he fell off my radar for a little while. He's now back on it. He's a high IQ, playmaking center who put up BIG numbers on Sweden. He outscored players like Forsberg, Nylander and Wennberg in their draft years. He's a very smart player that can find open lanes in the offensive zone. He's got smooth hands, a good shot and a good top speed. He really thrives on finding the soft spots in the offensive zone and giving himself some extra time to make a better play. He played this past year in a men's league, which is better competition than most other forwards in this draft class. His physical tools aren't where they need to be, but his IQ is and that is the most important thing. 

However, I think he will need to put in a lot of work to play the type of game he does at the next level. His physical tools are not very good, as I mentioned. He is built really thin; he measured in at the combine at 6'2, 165lbs. The weight is concerning, especially considering that his older brother hasn't filled out much either. However, the main thing that I don't like revolves around his skating. His acceleration isn't great and he gets knocked off the puck way too easily. His balance and edgework could also use some work. He's going to have to really commit to bettering himself physically if he wants to make an impact as a top-6 center in the NHL.

Now, with that said, I think that he can improve himself enough if he is willing to commit and he has support off the ice. If we were to draft Pettersson, he would be more of a long-term investment. For next year, ideally he signs and comes over to the AHL. There, we can have trainers work with him personally and really give him every opportunity to excel off the ice. Playing games would be less of a concern. For the first 4-6 months, I would keep him on a strict off ice routine and rotate him into the lineup every 2-3 games. The main focus would be on physical improvement. At about the midway point of the season, he should start getting more regular minutes with the team, provided he earns them. The first year would be all about adjustment; what he does on the ice is less important. A big factor in his adjustment would be the fact that he would be with his friend Dahlen, who would help him out off the ice. If we are willing to play the long game with Pettersson and commit to improving him, he could very well be worth the risk. 

Side note: A line of Dahlen - Pettersson - Virtanen would be fun to watch in Utica. I'm not sure who originally suggested that idea,  but I like it. 

I'm not sure if I was the first but I definitely did suggest it!

it would be great for all three of them.

puts virtanen in a position to be a key offensive guy while working on his power game protecting them. He would also create more space for them with his speed and physicality while they adjust to the smaller ice. Think it would be a great trio.

Pretty good writeup from Canucks Army on Filip Chytil (who they rank at #24 overall):

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/06/nation-network-2017-prospect-profiles-24-filip-chytil/

Excerpt:

The search for red flags comes up dry, as Chytil doesn’t seem to have any of the drawbacks that cause players to be pushed down rankings. He’s got great size (typically listed at an already acceptable 6-feet, Chytil was measured at 6-foot-2.25 and 192 pounds at the NHL Combine on the weekend), he’s a well-above-average skater with a great stride, good top speed and good acceleration, he has a good shot, sees the ice well, and demonstrates a high level of intelligence on the ice.

From an eye test perspective, Chytil plays an attractive game. With the puck, he plays a skilled, east-west style with above average puck protection and an emphasis on puck possession. He has good vision and play making ability and will be patient until lanes open up for players in opportune shooting areas. Away from the puck, he displays relentless effort in puck retrieval, hunting down puck carriers while still staying between them and pass options, and using his body to throw hits pin opponents deep in enemy territory. He can play both centre and the wing, predominantly playing the former position with some measurable success during the recent U18 tournament.

That's the third recent source I've seen ranking Chytil as a late first rounder. Previously he was getting pegged as a late second or third round pick.

I'm still hoping he's available in the second. Would love to nab him with one of our picks. Looks like he could be a steal if he makes it anywhere out of the first round.

As noted in the article, Chytil's Combine revised height was 6'2.25" and he weighed in at 192 lbs. And he's one of the youngest players in the draft. His Extraliga results, when adjusted for usage/minutes (article goes into some detail on this) and age are arguably quite comparable to Necas (who is 9 months older), and they also compare quite well in their respective international performances (where they've  played side-by-side in several tournaments).

Only weakness I was seeing in the early scouting reports was his size and strength, which the recent numbers from the Combine have shown to now look to be pretty much a non-issue (and probably are becoming an asset at his current size). And he's still growing.

Some highlight vids:

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Gold! 

Gretzky is aces. Could not run over people. Not the most imposing specimen.  

Defies so much actually?

With ease...

But I'll be fracked, you made me laugh so hard. Partly because it was so correct.

Gretzky when in his prime destroyed the field in those Worlds greatest athlete competitions. That's including athletes from all the major sports. Brian Budd was also dominant in this competition. Forget the program, but it aired in the early 80's.

Craig Button Final Rankings List:

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-hischier-edges-patrick-in-final-ranking-1.772654

1. Nico Hischier, C, 

2. Nolan Patrick, C, 

3. Cale Makar, D, 

4. Cody Glass, C, 

5. Miro Heiskanen, D, 

6. Gabe Vilardi, C, 

7. Martin Necas, C, 

8. Elias Pettersson, C,  

9. Casey Mittelstadt, C, 

10. Timothy Liljegren, D, 

11. Nick Suzuki, RW, 

12. Ryan Poehling, C, 

13. Pierre-Olivier Joseph, D, 

14. Cal Foote, D, 

15. Eeli Tolvanen, RW, 

16. Kailer Yamamoto, RW, 

17. Juuso Valimaki, D, 

18. Lias Andersson, C,

19. Erik Brannstrom, D, 

20. Filip Chytil, LW, 

21. Michael Rasmussen, C/LW, 

22. Alexei Lipanov, C, 

23. Owen Tippett, RW, 

24. Klim Kostin, RW,

25. Josh Norris, C, 

26. Kristian Vesalainen, LW, 

27. Aleksei Heponiemi, C, 

28. Shane Bowers, C, 

29. Jake Oettinger, G, 

30. Conor Timmins, D, 

31. Urho Vaakanainen, D, 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

@AlwaysACanuckFan

Well that's just going to add fuel to all the Tanev to TOR speculation :lol:

I can't see pettersson dropping to 17th.  If they want tanev, i'd say it would be up to TO to find us a top 10 pick so we can land Pettersson.

TO trades 17th overall + Kapanen to Det for the 9th overall

then flips the 9th overall + Bracco to Vancouver to tanev? 

Canucks pick Vilardi/Mittel at 5 and then Pettersson at 9. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I can't see pettersson dropping to 17th.  If they want tanev, i'd say it would be up to TO to find us a top 10 pick so we can land Pettersson.

So Tanev is worth 17 over all, 9th overall, Kapanen and Bracco?    I really like Tanev, but that seems a bit much

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Nor can I but just mentioning VAN and TOR in the same tweet is going to fuel people's speculation. 

I like your proposal concept there ;)  I'd probably want one of their right shooting D prospects for depth in return though.

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think the Wings would have to send something back to TO. For moving down 8 spots they are getting a player who was ppg at age 20 in the AHL.