The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

3 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

There is a difference between wanting goons and wanting a player that can stay on his feet. I don't know if anyone is really advocating for prospects that have "bruiser" or "goon" qualities to them, just NHL size. Most people don't want Rasmussen for this very reason - because his size covers a lack of true skill. I, along with other people on here, are advocating for players that can play their game without being tossed off the puck by someone who is big by NHL standards. 

You make perfect sense. The post who he was quoting didn't. 

"The canucks don't need anymore softies" 

It's a $&!#ty post and it should be called out.

watched GV on TV with Memorial Cup.  

watched Glass in person twice.

May be biased from in person viewing but from that admittedly biased perspective, Glass >> GV.   Just looks more "aware" of all around, had a better "beast mode", was better in the circle and seemed to have the puck follow him around more.   

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

You make perfect sense. The post who he was quoting didn't. 

"The canucks don't need anymore softies" 

It's a $&!#ty post and it should be called out.

Fair enough. 

I honestly think Pettersson is being overhyped. Also, Lias Andersson > Elias Pettersson in my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

May be biased from in person viewing but from that admittedly biased perspective, Glass >> GV.   Just looks more "aware" of all around, had a better "beast mode", was better in the circle and seemed to have the puck follow him around more.   

I've watched vilardi in person and glass on tv and i couldn't agree more. 

4 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Fair enough. 

I honestly think Pettersson is being overhyped. Also, Lias Andersson > Elias Pettersson in my opinion. 

Yeah I'm not jumping on the train either. He wasn't being talked about until that highlight video came out with him and his silky mits.  Just CDCs flavor of the week i think.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah I'm not jumping on the train either. He wasn't being talked about until that highlight video came out with him and his silky mits.  Just CDCs flavor of the week i think.

Someone else noticed?

Also received an invite for more talks in Vancouver I heard.  

16 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Depends on the games you watch.  Vilardi in beast mode is unstoppable. The final two games against Erie he looked like Getlzaf in the playoffs this year. 

• Upvote 1

Assuming we only have the 5th overall pick in this year’s draft, here is how I would like it to go.

Want canucks to draft:

Vilardi

Am happy if the canucks end up drafting:

Mittelstadt, Glass, Pettersson, Liijegren

Ok with canucks drafting but will be disappointed:

Tippet, Necas, Heiskanen

Will be completely off the JB bandwagon if he uses our only top 5 pick on:

Makar, Rasmussen, Tolvanen

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I've watched vilardi in person and glass on tv and i couldn't agree more. 

I've only watched both on TV. I think Vilardi's game doesn't look sexy at all (and that's putting it nicely), but the thing that he has that is so unique  is that he seems to have a "spidey sense" of both the puck and the pressure. I'm watching him, and I go, "how the heck did he know to put his stick there just where the rebound is going to be?" or "(with him near the boards with the puck) how did he just escape being pinned by the D-man who was approaching him at the right angle?" That happens way too frequently that I can't attribute it to luck any more. That's why his puck possession numbers are so insane.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

If anything Pettersson has been undervalued this whole year! All the final rankings coming out recently have him top 10

10 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Assuming we only have the 5th overall pick in this year’s draft, here is how I would like it to go.

Want canucks to draft:

Vilardi

Am happy if the canucks end up drafting:

Mittelstadt, Glass, Pettersson, Liijegren

Ok with canucks drafting but will be disappointed:

Tippet, Necas, Heiskanen

Will be completely off the JB bandwagon if he uses our only top 5 pick on:

Makar, Rasmussen, Tolvanen

Mine's close to that.

Not sure I even have a 'want' in this draft :lol:

Happy if the Canucks take any of:

Glass, Mittel or Liljegrin.

OK with (because I like them but feel they have some risk):

Vilardi, Necas, Pettersson, Makar (though if the Canucks chose one of these guys I'd be pretty stoked, as they obviously have more intel than us and hopefully found a high ceiling guy they believe in.)

I can't see them grabbing a guy outside of those options unless they pick up a pick when they're all gone, so I'm not even going to worry beyond that.

Edited by J.R.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Mine's close to that.

Not sure I even have a 'want' in this draft :lol:

Happy if the Canucks take any of:

Glass, Mittel or Liljegrin.

OK with (because I like them but feel they have some risk):

Vilardi, Necas, Pettersson, Makar (though if the Canucks chose one of these guys I'd be pretty stoked, as they obviously have more intel than us and hopefully found a high ceiling guy they believe in.)

I can't seem them grabbing a guy outside of those options unless they pick up a pick when they're all gone, so I'm not even going to worry beyond that.

How would you feel if they took Tippet or Heiskanen?

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

How would you feel if they took Tippet or Heiskanen?

Honestly don't see it with Tippet. I have him mid-late 1st. So I'd certainly be puzzled.

Heiskanen....I'd be disappointed that they played it safe but he's a good player. He'll almost certainly be a top 4 D and likely ready soon'ish so it's hard to complain about that but I'd prefer we picked someone with higher long term upside.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

If anything Pettersson has been undervalued this whole year! All the final rankings coming out recently have him top 10

Pettersson was ranked 20 by International Scouting Services (ISS Hockey) in their final rankings... 

10 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Pettersson was ranked 20 by International Scouting Services (ISS Hockey) in their final rankings... 

Not high enough for us to pick and not low enough to drop to 33... he probably ends up a Leaf. 

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

Yeah you're right, the Canucks should pass up on a player who arguably has the highest ceiling in this draft in Pettersson,  we should draft someone who is "hard"  and can throw the body around.

Give me a break.  Bruisers and goons are a dime a dozen....

I said nothing about goon/bruiser.  Mats Sundin wasn't a goon or bruiser yet he was physically hard to play against.  Canucks has been pushed around a lot the past few years, Horvat is a good start on having physically resilient players.

Edited by Creepy Crawler
  • Upvote 1

With Pettersson gaining momentum with fans I am curious as to why you guys want him over Necas?  Keep in mind that I haven't seen either one play a whole lot aside from World Juniors.  They sound quite similar from what I've read but originally Necas seemed to be the guy most wantes (of that type of player)