The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Fair enough..but where do we draw a line between honest prospect-analysis, & the other spectrum-extreme(navel gazing, wailing, & hand-wringing; CDC group cry-ins, leading to Oprah & Jerry Springer sessions)?

Just as some drugs are too pure, perhaps this hockey site is too damnedenjoyable?

Jake must know what he has to do. Hope the kid turns out, but it's all left to the hockeyGawds.

Haha that's a great post bro. I hope nothing but the best for him as it only benefits us as fans of the team. I'm not wanting him to be terrible in the slightest. You make great points 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Joe_Kerr said:

Send this over to the Jake Virtanen talk! What's up with the 2017 draft 

I think there are suggestions/rumours that we move Jake along with Tanev to get number three from Dallas or Kane and 8th from Buffalo.  I think in both cases we could end up with Makar and Glass

• Upvote 1

I think a part of why we drafted Virtanen was because he was a hometown kid and the PR related to that. That said, that's just a part of why we drafted him. 

IMO he was going to be a Benning pick anyway though. Disregarding the consensus BPA as per Bob McKenzie (who had him 7th on his consensus list), Virtanen was what Benning envisioned the Canucks to play right down to the T. Benning wanted meat and potatoes. Benning envisioned the Canucks to play with speed. He wanted the Canucks to have size. And he also wanted the Canucks to play with skill. 

The one thing that you can't argue is Jake's size and speed. His skill component came with his NHL-level shot, which Benning seemed to really scout for as McCann also had a lethal shot. Jake has size, speed, and skill BUT unfortunately for him, management, and us, powerforwards take much longer to develop. They may step into the show quicker because of their NHL ready size but from then on it's a process for them to develop.

If at the very least Benning drafted this type of player at the beginning of our rebuild. That way once this set of draftees and Juolevi come to form Virtanen would have a few extra years of development to find his game.

• Upvote 1

Same old crap for and against Jake.  Nothing new here.  Pls discuss in JV talk!

Seeing as there's so many players that would be good #5 picks, all is great in Canuck land (of course we really should be arguing over which of Nolan or Nico should be picked - sorry guys, but it still burns now and again).  My preference is a play-making C who can also score, is smart, fast and can handle top 6 NHL minutes within 2-4 years.  Mittlstadt, Glass or Petterson, I guess.  If JB could somehow get a 10-14overall pick in a trade, I would love to seem them snag a dman.

Has anyone considered the idea of trading the Nucks #5 this year to Col or NJ for their 1st next year?  Bit risky as you don't know how well those teams will do, but it is a much better draft.

• Upvote 1

It's so funny to me how everyone's in love with Elias Pettersson now. Before the combine everyone was screaming Glass, Vlardi or Mittelstadt etc etc. Very little mention of Pettersson. 

Now that it seems like the Canucks are interested in EP, you guys love the kid!? Wtf lmao. Swayed so easily...

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

It's so funny to me how everyone's in love with Elias Pettersson now. Before the combine everyone was screaming Glass, Vlardi or Mittelstadt etc etc. Very little mention of Pettersson. 

Now that it seems like the Canucks are interested in EP, you guys love the kid!? Wtf lmao. Swayed so easily...

I think the Canucks interest made people pay attention to him, so they checked out the draft evaluations of him (which are very flattering).  I mean, his #s are quite incredible.  Lots of people are still wanting the other 3 that you mentioned.  Is there a huge difference in the 3-10 picks?

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Has anyone considered the idea of trading the Nucks #5 this year to Col or NJ for their 1st next year?  Bit risky as you don't know how well those teams will do, but it is a much better draft.

That's never done as a primary piece in a deal.  Imagine if we'd traded for Columbus' 2017 1st last year after they finished 27th.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

If the plan is to give Virtanen 4th line minutes I'd rather leave him in Utica for another season playing 20 minutes a game on the 1rst line and 1rst pp. If this kid is gonna make it it's not gonna be by playing 8 minutes a game while being scratched every other game for not producing. He needs more seasoning! Load him with ice time and put him in positions to succeed and hopefully he starts contributing in offensive situations rather than bennifittng.

Yea man I believe some players don't have to "earn it". Give him top minutes in the show and if that doesn't work top minutes in Utica.

4th line time doesn't work. This is especially true when you can play with the Sedins or Bo.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think there are suggestions/rumours that we move Jake along with Tanev to get number three from Dallas or Kane and 8th from Buffalo.  I think in both cases we could end up with Makar and Glass

Buffalo is my favorite team aside from Vancouver so I'm trying to decide how I would feel about that trade from a Buffalo perspective.  I think I like it.  I am not confident that Kane will re-sign in Buffalo and it would be good to not lose him for nothing.  Tanev is a very good fit for the sabres and Virtanens speed and forechecking would be perfect as well.  I'm not in love with them giving up the eighth pick but I think the return is worth it.

From a Vancouver perspective it's great as there will be a really nice player available at eight and I think Kane would sign.  With the Sedins still hanging around as mentors plus Green as coach I think we would get more out of Kane than other teams have in the past

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

If the plan is to give Virtanen 4th line minutes I'd rather leave him in Utica for another season playing 20 minutes a game on the 1rst line and 1rst pp. If this kid is gonna make it it's not gonna be by playing 8 minutes a game while being scratched every other game for not producing. He needs more seasoning! Load him with ice time and put him in positions to succeed and hopefully he starts contributing in offensive situations rather than bennifittng.

I agree, if he doesnt fit on the top 3 lines, keep him in Utica where he can benefit from being used in more situations.  He can be a call-up when the inevitable injury takes place.If the Sedins are not here the year after, that opens up some spots and Virtanen can slot into the top 9, most likely on the 3rd line.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

as much as i like the idea of getting both Makar and Glass, I am not sure I would want Benning to part with Virtanen.  He is still very young and has lots of room to improve, and Green had him on the right track, remember it takes time for power forwards to grow and Jake is on pace to gel with our new group of prospects when they come on the scene.

1 minute ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

as much as i like the idea of getting both Makar and Glass, I am not sure I would want Benning to part with Virtanen.  He is still very young and has lots of room to improve, and Green had him on the right track, remember it takes time for power forwards to grow and Jake is on pace to gel with our new group of prospects when they come on the scene.

Plus he's from Abbotsford....