The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could be a big bust over here though.  We don't know if his game will work on the smaller ice and NA aggressive play.  If it does, he would be great!  I just don't see us in a position (our cupboards are so bare) to take that kind of chance.  JB needs to get another top 10 pick.

Could say the same about Makar. 

43 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I dunno man, Petersson's ceiling and skill set is pretty attractive. 

I'd still lean to Necas personally but they're close. Just traded down from 4th OA to 11th in my fantasy league and still managed to nab Necas (+) at 11...couldn't be happier ::D

Edited by J.R.

Benning wants a playmaking C with skill and speed:

PETTERSSON - "An energetic forward with highly creative hands, good work ethic and offensive skills…smart and aware on the ice…dangerous one-on-one player…combination of speed and the ability to make quick turns in different directions with the puck make him hard to pin down…can pull off multiple quick dekes in unison with quick changes of direction to break ankles of defenders…keeps his feet moving and brings quick pressure on his opponent offensively…finds open ice and creates space for himself to get off his strong wrist shot"

MITTELSTADT - "A smart, quick and highly skilled center…has a tremendous first-step jump, change of pace and ability to make defenders miss…though not the biggest or strongest player on the ice, he finds success in loose puck battles by using his smarts and insane ability to shield the puck from defenders…never takes a shift off, and has added noticeable muscle and speed this season…will finish chances with a quick release on a wrister or powerful snap shot…puckhandling skills are excellent and he is able to create scoring chances in almost all of his offensive-zone shifts using his great vision and understanding of the game"

SUZUKI - "Suzuki is an undersized dynamic offensive player who uses his speed and playmaking ability to impact the game. While slightly undersized he is not shy to play physically and go to the net or dig for pucks in the corner. Suzuki thinks the game fast and has the hands and feet to match which makes him a projectable NHL player. Suzuki has a motor that won’t quit on plays and he is a reliable back checker as well making him an effective two-way player."

NECAS - "A rather smallish-sized energy-player with great offensive upside and creativity. A lightning-quick skater who likes to handle the puck and creats scoring chances. Can distribute the puck with accuracy and likes to set up team mates."

There are more players to consider (eg. Glass) They've got tough choices to make.

2 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Could say the same about Makar. 

Makar played over here on smaller ice, and in a rough league, where he was a target of violent hits every shift.  There was no place for him to hide.  Petersson, although he could be amazing, has yet to play in that type of game.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Seriously if Vilardi is there at 5 and we pass... it better be Glass. Petterson isn't a sexy pick at 5th for overall.

I would predict that the Canucks would pass on Vilardi for Glass (although my 6th sense is telling me that Glass might be gone before 5)...At 5,I could live with any of Glass,Heiskanen,Makar,Pettersen ,Mittelstadt...

10 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I understand his numbers are good in his Swedish league but from what I've watched of him at WJC and whatnot he didn't seem like a top 5 pick to me. I know he was an underager but still... I could be wrong but Vilardi,Glass and Makar all looked better through the eye test. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Makar played over here on smaller ice, and in a rough league, where he was a target of violent hits every shift.  There was no place for him to hide.  Petersson, although he could be amazing, has yet to play in that type of game.

I've watched Makar play multiple games where he hasn't taken any hits...

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I know the team is lacking in speed and skill, but I am so wary of drafting players because of the "way the league is going".  Style is cyclical and by the time Pettersson is ready to be an everyday player, the league may well have cycled around to big bodied, physical players.  

That said, he might be very very good

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

I've watched Makar play multiple games where he hasn't taken any hits...

which shows how good he is, considering the small ice surface and the aggressive nature of NA hockey.  He is an elite player, with extremely high IQ and vision.  He processes the game very fast.  

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could be a big bust over here though.  We don't know if his game will work on the smaller ice and NA aggressive play.  If it does, he would be great!  I just don't see us in a position (our cupboards are so bare) to take that kind of chance.  JB needs to get another top 10 pick.

I don't think that would be a big transition for him to go from big ice to smaller ice, not if he has a high hockey IQ.  He is like Glass in terms of his stock just keeps rising.  I have a feeling if Glass and Vilardi are gone after the big 2, it is going to be Pettersson selected at 5 due to his connection with Dahlen.

1 minute ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

I don't think that would be a big transition for him to go from big ice to smaller ice, not if he has a high hockey IQ.  He is like Glass in terms of his stock just keeps rising.  I have a feeling if Glass and Vilardi are gone after the big 2, it is going to be Pettersson selected at 5 due to his connection with Dahlen.

Rather take Makar at five if Glass and Vilardi are taken 3 and 4.  Would like to get 8 from the Sabres, take Makar there, and then swing for the fences with Petersson at 8.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Rather take Makar at five if Glass and Vilardi are taken 3 and 4.  Would like to get 8 from the Sabres, take Makar there, and then swing for the fences with Petersson at 8.

Be nice if we got that 2nd 1st round pick wouldn't it, then CDC would be as happy as clams haha...  If we go with Makar I won't be disappointed, dude is an offensive dynamo on the back end, he has speed for days and can change his angles just as fast, I didn't think crossing over on someone on ice was possible until I saw him do it, he crossed someone over so bad by the time they finished falling he was moving in the other direction about 3 or 4 feet out haha