The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

7 minutes ago, winthecup said:

If Vilardi were available at #5 I think they would take him over Petterson and possibly over Glass and Makar if they were available at #5. 

There has basically no talk of Vilardi by Benning my friend. He's made it pretty apparent who he likes. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

There has basically no talk of Vilardi by Benning my friend. He's made it pretty apparent who he likes. 

He mentioned Glass, Petterson and Vilardi as players he likes. He's in the running, but if Glass is available Benning will pick him. He's a character kind of guy that Benning loves and given what we know: Glass only visiting Vancouver, Benning mentioning Glass first on the list of players he likes, the rumor of Glass and Petterson getting flown to Vancouver for a 2nd interview makes it fairly obvious who he wants. Will he be available is the real question.

58 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think the Canucks definitely have Glass as their 1st pick, if he's still available. I sure hope so, saw the kid's profile on Sportsnet the other night and he's got a ton of character, persevered through some tough times. 6'2" and still growing. Also, a Winnipegger (same as Patrick), so I'm a little bias, originally being from there.

I don't really want a D at #5 again this year. 

I have the feeling that this will be a repeat of last year. The excitement/potential to grab PLD (Glass) at 5 leads to a big let down when taken top 3/4. Then we draft OJ (Makar). A D man that some are high on and others consider a reach.

I like Makar but would prefer one of the remaining centres no matter how the first four fall. We need some prospect depth in our centres to go with our wingers - of course we need D too but I think centre is a greater need right now. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

And Vancouver at one point in time was covered in a vast sheet of ice. Nice sunny day out today though. 

Move on.

The milk was spilt long ago, then crusted, dried up into powder, and blew away... but still, must glance sorrowfully at the place whence it lay.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

He mentioned Glass, Petterson and Vilardi as players he likes. He's in the running, but if Glass is available Benning will pick him. He's a character kind of guy that Benning loves and given what we know: Glass only visiting Vancouver, Benning mentioning Glass first on the list of players he likes, the rumor of Glass and Petterson getting flown to Vancouver for a 2nd interview makes it fairly obvious who he wants. Will he be available is the real question.

Exactly my point. Picking Vilardi would be a surprise considering how Benning has been conditioning us with how he speaks and treats (2nd interviews and dinners) the other prospects. 

9 minutes ago, AllWeatherFan said:

I have the feeling that this will be a repeat of last year. The excitement/potential to grab PLD (Glass) at 5 leads to a big let down when taken top 3/4. Then we draft OJ (Makar). A D man that some are high on and others consider a reach.

I like Makar but would prefer one of the remaining centres no matter how the first four fall. We need some prospect depth in our centres to go with our wingers - of course we need D too but I think centre is a greater need right now. 

Difference being OJ was essentially the consensus best D available.  Makar is also the D with the highest ceiling according to many....he's a bit of a high risk/high reward type player which is what worries me somewhat.  There are definitely going to be more 'sure bets' available to us at #5 - assuming we stay there that is.  I'm wondering how - if at all - the Sbisa loss will affect JB's drafting strategy?  On the one hand, any player we get wouldn't likely be in the line-up this year realistically anyway; but on the other hand, Heiskanen is rumored to be close to NHL ready. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, AllWeatherFan said:

Fwiw, the Avalanche's Director of Amateur Scouting apparently has been mentioning that the person they are targeting is 17 years old. The only 2 guys among the top prospects that are still 17 are Vilardi and Heiskanen. So unless the player they want goes to Dallas (or whoever trades for the pick - Las Vegas?), Cody should be available. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Difference being OJ was essentially the consensus best D available.  Makar is also the D with the highest ceiling according to many....he's a bit of a high risk/high reward type player which is what worries me somewhat.  There are definitely going to be more 'sure bets' available to us at #5 - assuming we stay there that is.  I'm wondering how - if at all - the Sbisa loss will affect JB's drafting strategy?  On the one hand, any player we get wouldn't likely be in the line-up this year realistically anyway; but on the other hand, Heiskanen is rumored to be close to NHL ready. 

I look at Makar as a Jake Bean level prospect.  Not someone I would consider at 5.  I would put Heiskanen at Joulevi's level though.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I look at Makar as a Jake Bean level prospect.  Not someone I would consider at 5.  I would put Heiskanen at Joulevi's level though.

Personally I have been lead to believe that Makar is the real deal. His opposition aside he has ALL the tools to be an elite defender. Explained as an analogy, It's like being able to do a double front flip off a low diving board and all your friends are doing single flips off a higher diving board. You look at the guy doing the doubles and think "wow this guy has some serious skill, it's only a matter of time before he brings it to the higher diving board". Of course this is exactly what Makar is doing next year by going to university (the higher diving board). Will the guys on the higher diving board to start ever get to double flips? Maybe not. 

:lol:

With JB saying (something like):

he "won't trade up but might trade down, depending on how the first four go",

it makes me think he has a deal lined up with (is it Vegas?) the team picking 6th,

as 5th and possibly 6th are the only picks he can control by trading down.

In other words, if the players JB has rated 1st to 4th best for the Canucks all go before our pick, he may trade it down to 6th, so Vegas can take their guy at 5th, and we take our guy at 6th, plus hopefully something like Vegas' 2nd pick (34th overall, maybe Hagger) (or even better, something mid first round like Liljegren or Foote (but I don't think we'd get that much, maybe Foote.)

By trading with the team right next to him in the draft, he can be sure both he and George McPhee get the first first-rounder they each want.  Might be the basis of a good trade right there with both sides getting what they want.

I am still hoping JB and GM find more common ground and options for the upcoming draft and beyond and develop a good long-term relationship between the cities' teams.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Personally I have been lead to believe that Makar is the real deal.

The only reason I have Glass over Makar at #5 is that as other posters have posted, next year, there are at least 2 other D-men that are arguably offensively better than Makar right now: Rasmus Dahlin and Ryan Merkley. 

11 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

The only reason I have Glass over Makar at #5 is that as other posters have posted, next year, there are at least 2 other D-men that are arguably offensively better than Makar right now: Rasmus Dahlin and Ryan Merkley. 

Yeah I know what you mean. We can't bank on anything with this god for sake'n lottery though.