The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

41 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

I love this kid's game. he's great in all 3 zones on the ice, which is someone we've needed in a while and the game I watched when they played Juolevi and the Knights, he had one play where he completely shielded the puck from the defenceman to feed it to Sergachev who made no mistake tucking it home after his 2nd attempt. not only that, he has the potential to be an elite playmaker which is another thing we will need when Sedins retire so he'll make the perfect 1B behind Bo in the future with Dahlen, Boeser, Gaudette, etc all in the mix

Yah I saw that game too! Well, specifically that part and the next 5 minutes of game action hehehe. Vilardi is very good along the boards and uses his body well to protect the puck. On top of that, at the same time he can use his vision and passing to create plays off the wall or in the cycle. If we draft him abd he could get his skating to Bo's level then we'd have two legitimate 1A power centres, plus Gaudette and Sutter either playing 3C or a Top 6 W position.

As an aside, that power move Sergachev made on his goal was amazing.

Edited by Blömqvist
  • Upvote 1

On 3/12/2017 at 7:41 PM, Odd. said:

Cody Glass now has 93 points (32g, 61a) in 67gps. 

Make that 94 points in 68. 

Let's see if he can reach to 100pts in his final 2 games.

• Upvote 1

We don't need Vilardi.

We've already got quite a few centres and the wings are positions of more need.

We've already got a lot of hard workers, we need players with high skill and talent.

His point totals are good but not great. If we're drafting top 5, I'd like someone who shows a great offensive ceiling, not good coachability. 

I'd rather take guys like Mittelstadt, Glass and Tolvanen.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, guntrix said:

We don't need Vilardi.

We've already got quite a few centres and the wings are positions of more need.

We've already got a lot of hard workers, we need players with high skill and talent.

His point totals are good but not great. If we're drafting top 5, I'd like someone who shows a great offensive ceiling, not good coachability. 

I'd rather take guys like Mittelstadt, Glass and Tolvanen.

I would put Pettersson in that class too. I like his finesse for a bigger skater. He's got a great dish too. Seems like he would be the playmaking centre a lot of our scoring wingers will need in the future. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Because he's overrated.

I've been saying for awhile he'll likely fall. All flash and not a whole lot else.

He was also out the first few months of his season with mono.  His season is a little dissapointing but I take into consideation that its a tough illness to come back from

I'm not sold on Vilardi. Sure he is a hard worker and he has great advanced stats according to the articles but his actual production leaves a lot to be desired. For a big man you would expect his production to be far higher. The fact he is already working his butt off and hasn't produced at a higher level imo limits his ceiling. If your looking for a good third liner then I'm sure Vilardi fits the bill. I'm just not sure he will amount to more than that. 

As for Liljegren that article has a lot of good points. Everyone makes mistakes so I hope they are not nitpicking but if his decision making is as bad as they say, I feel that for a defenseman, that is the hardest thing to improve because it will only get harder for him as he moves up the ranks and he may lose confidence or receive less playing time before he has time to improve those thought processes. I say pass on him. 

Jusso Valimaki is probably the best defenseman in this draft. 

PPG defenceman, 6'2, 200lbs. Has 18g, 40a, 58pts in 57GP. He's also finnish.

Edited by Odd.

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Jusso Valimaki is probably the best defenseman in this draft. 

PPG defenceman, 6'2, 200lbs. Has 18g, 40a, 58pts in 57GP. He's also finnish.

I think he's the only guaranteed 30-35 point d man in the draft. Size skill combo is exactly what NHL teams want.

1 minute ago, Derp... said:

I think he's the only guaranteed 30-35 point d man in the draft. Size skill combo is exactly what NHL teams want.

Cal Foote has as many points but 11 more games played. 

Foote and Valimaki are way better than Liljegren IMO. Foote would be ideal because he's a right handed shot and he's 6'4 215lbs at 18 years old! He also plays with Kelowna and with they history they have with developing some good defensemans, he could be a really solid player. 

I'd say Foote is in the NHL next year.

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Cal Foote has as many points but 11 more games played. 

Foote and Valimaki are way better than Liljegren IMO. Foote would be ideal because he's a right handed shot and he's 6'4 215lbs at 18 years old! He also plays with Kelowna and with they history they have with developing some good defensemans, he could be a really solid player. 

I'd say Foote is in the NHL next year.

I see Foote two, three times a month.  Him and his brother have all the potential to be better NHL players than their dad ever was.  Cal is such a solid blue liner and his brother Nolan is going top 10 of the draft in 18/19

I'd draft him without question if he was in our range

1 hour ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

IMG_8553.PNG

I'm fine with those comments because it just shows Benning is going BPA regardless of position. If he thinks Maker or Heiskanen or Valimaki have number 1 potential and the similarly ranked forwards only have 2nd line potential in his eyes I'd hope he takes the dman. Even after the Juolevi pick I'd still take Liljigren and Maker over some of these guys ranked in the top 10. I have both Liljigren and Maker in my top 6

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I see Foote two, three times a month.  Him and his brother have all the potential to be better NHL players than their dad ever was.  Cal is such a solid blue liner and his brother Nolan is going top 10 of the draft in 18/19

I'd draft him without question if he was in our range

This may be a weak draft, but compared to other years, this draft is stacked with good defensemans. 

Foote, Valimaki, Liljegren, Makar, Heiskanen, Hague, Jokiharju, Brannstorm who are all projected to be first rounders. After Benning's interview this morning stating that he's looking for PP defenseman/1 or 2nd line playmakers, Valimaki, Liljegren, or Makar would have to be on his radar as well as Hischier/Pettersson/Necas on his foward list. 

• Upvote 3