The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hamhuis to test free agency

Ossi Vaananen

horrible horrible Hamhuis brings veteran leadership needed on defence, he is a smooth veteran guy who makes the right play, way too much stock into Sbisa. Horrible move by letting go Hammer go. Sbisa should be the one packing his bags, this is frustrating, how they don't sign a bc boy. 

Willie mitchell all over again. He's good enough for Team Canada but not the Canucks' great logic Benning over Sbisa. Huge mistake.

4 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

horrible horrible Hamhuis brings veteran leadership needed on defence, he is a smooth veteran guy who makes the right play, way too much stock into Sbisa. Horrible move by letting go Hammer go. Sbisa should be the one packing his bags, this is frustrating, how they don't sign a bc boy. 

Willie mitchell all over again. He's good enough for Team Canada but not the Canucks' great logic Benning over Sbisa. Huge mistake.

It won't shock me if Sbisa also gets moved.

1 minute ago, aliboy said:

If he does good for him and I mean that sincerely.

There just isn't that many quality defenders available and he's still a solid top 4 guy.  I hope he goes to a playoff contender.  Quality guy, hope he does well.  Just not the right fit for him anymore since we can't give him expansion draft protection

2 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Hard to trade Sbisa if no one wants him.  If I were Hamhuis and wanting to commit to Vancouver to finish off my career with a hometown discount, then I'd want a NMC for 1 year to make sure that I just won't be moving to Vegas after one season.

It just won't work for both sides

Just now, aliboy said:

It won't shock me if Sbisa also gets moved.

then it makes no sense not to sign Hamhuis, he could of been a decent mentor for Tyramkin. Sbisa will teach him how to do what? and how much of a leader is TANEV? Hamhuis has the pedigree of being a leader, teams around the league want the guy that shows you how good he really is. 

Huge mistake, another blunder by this management.

4 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

then it makes no sense not to sign Hamhuis, he could of been a decent mentor for Tyramkin. Sbisa will teach him how to do what? and how much of a leader is TANEV? Hamhuis has the pedigree of being a leader, teams around the league want the guy that shows you how good he really is. 

Huge mistake, another blunder by this management.

I'm completely fine with Hammer moving on.

8 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

It's nothing we didn't expect, though the rhetoric heading into this week was that the Canucks would try to sign him. 

In hindsight, this really makes the trade deadline look bad. We didn't keep the player, and got nothing for him.

I don't see where he would fit either. Right now we have 9 waiver eligible D:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Biega, Larsen, Pedan

Larsen hasn't been signed last time I checked and doubt he will be due to the injury he suffered. Benning will wait to see how he has healed and then maybe sign him.

It would have been complicated to keep Hamhuis without moving out one of the other Ds. 

Edler Tanev Hutton Gudbranson Tryamkin Sbisa - that's 6 spots taken and they want to bring in Larsen and there's still Pedan and Biega.

Too bad - he would have been a good mentor to several of those young Ds.  Burrows in an interview on RDS a few weeks ago talked of how he brought calm to the group and said that his experience can be very useful to young players like Hutton.

Archived