The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hamhuis to test free agency

Ossi Vaananen

Should have moved Hamhuis to Chicago or Dallas the instant there are offers.

And right now if they can move Sbisa for a 2017 draft pick(s) then sign Philip Larsen to fill the last spot...then we are all set for the 2016-2017 season.

There are still 259 players on the UFA list. 259 players that were not converted to picks or prospects. If Benning failed, then every other GM also failed. The expansion draft is making every GM scrutinize their roster and make tough decisions. Some of those guys will get picked up and some will go to Europe or a lower league and the rest will be pushed out. Hamhuis will get picked up as he still has the desire and his skill level is still sufficient. Unfortunately for him, we now have younger depth on the left and right with younger options. Good luck going forward to the other Danny. Hammy Danny

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

I would have looked to move   2-3  pieces from this list - traded for picks.     All parts of our roster not  needed  3-4 years from now when our club goes deep in the playoffs......

Hamhuis

Edler

Bartkowski

Higgins

Burrows

Miller

Vrbata

Hansen

Vey

Webber

Where would you have moved them to? Please name teams that were willing to give up draft picks for these players.

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Where would you have moved them to? Please name teams that were willing to give up draft picks for these players.

I can't reveal the teams that i was negotiating with.  Non Disclosure.   That would be unprofessional of me. LOL 

MANAGEMENT IS PAID TO MANAGE -----

I get why people are upset at losing an asset and getting nothing for Hamhuis, same thing happened with Ed Jovanovski, same reason injury.

The JB blamers want to ignore the fact we were in a playoff position until Christmas and Hammer had that horrible injury which obviously made teams wonder if he'd be the same and diminished his market value.

If there was away to make sense out of it I'd be tempted to resign him for short term like 2 years if that was possible. Where I actually hold JB accountable was letting Willy D destroy Vrbata's market value by taking him off the Sedin line, they should have traded him at last years draft if that was the plan.

Still, I think JB gets a raw deal, mostly from the lowest forms of life, like the tankers.

2 hours ago, Zerox said:

Should have moved Hamhuis to Chicago or Dallas the instant there are offers.

And right now if they can move Sbisa for a 2017 draft pick(s) then sign Philip Larsen to fill the last spot...then we are all set for the 2016-2017 season.

I was on board for a Sbisa trade but looking at everything now, I'm not so sure.

With the expansion draft, Canucks HAVE TO expose 1 defenseman under contract for 2017-18 that's played in a minimum of 40 NHL games in the previous season or 70 in the last 2.

If they ship out Sbisa and Larsen doesn't play at least 40 games (gets hurt or something) they would literally be forced to expose one of Edler, Tanev, or Gudbranson to meet the requirement since Hutton and Tryamkin are ineligible.

For that reason I think Canucks hold onto Sbisa at least for this season.

3 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

Good to know, we lost him for nothing. He was a reall y good mentor the last 2 months of the regular season and one of the key players who provided the winning environment to the kids, one of which we traded away.

We lost him for nothing as stated here far too many times for a person to not get it... NO ONE WOULD TAKE HIM..... it takes 2 teams to make a trade you know???

Dan is a class act like the Sedins.  Neither of these two young draft choices will be playing for the Canucks for another couple of years.  Sad to see that we get nothing in return after making a lot of dumb trades where we gave away so many of our top draft picks.  Let's move Edler and Sbisa and have a Young Guns team next year.  That way they can move along as a unit with the Sedins mentoring them.

7 hours ago, shadowgoon said:

Thank god. Linden & Co know when to move on.

But they didn't. He should have be asked to waive in February not ten minutes to the end of deadline day. Same can be said for vrbata who said he would have waived if asked earlier in the season.(when he would have had some value still) This mismanagement is the reason the team has so few picks well that  and the  trading picks for projects or throw ins. Kassian +5 just waive the guy if you want him gone. 

5th for Larson can't make the oilers but benning fanboys have him pegged as top 4 in vancouver

A long and growing list of WASTED picks.

Not resigning hamhuis is step in the right direction,  but just wait because with benning its one step forward ten steps back. 

23 minutes ago, 6YPE said:

We lost him for nothing as stated here far too many times for a person to not get it... NO ONE WOULD TAKE HIM..... it takes 2 teams to make a trade you know???

Yes, management delayed until the actual trade deadline hence the lack of a trading partner.

1 minute ago, Stanky Legs said:

Yes, management delayed until the actual trade deadline hence the lack of a trading partner.

Getting the return Calgary did, or Winnipeg too would have really helped our rebuild/retool.  Dallas and Chicago were the two teams wanting Hammer, but ownership and Hammer (rumoured) nixed both trades, so those two teams went with their second options, and we got NOTHING. 

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I would have looked to move   2-3  pieces from this list - traded for picks.     All parts of our roster not  needed  3-4 years from now when our club goes deep in the playoffs......

Hamhuis

Edler

Bartkowski

Higgins

Burrows

Miller

Vrbata

Hansen

Vey

Webber

Higgins and Vey were placed on waivers. How do you expect to trade them when nobody wanted them for free?

Name ONE team located in the NHL that would have actually traded for Weber, Bartkowski, Vrbata or Burrows(with his cap hit)?

Miller's cap hit is $6 million and he has a NTC.  He only wants to play on the west coast. Name a west coast team that would have taken him at $6 million?

Hamhuis gave JB a list of 3 teams to play ball with a week before the deadline. Only one wanted to play ball and they ended up trading for another Dman who they liked better. 

As for Hansen he's a key member of our team on a cap friendly contract.  He's not for sale. 

Edler was injured. And he's a top 4 guy on a team that was thin on the blueline. And he also has a NTC.  And his cap hit is $5 million.  Easier said than done to trade him

35 minutes ago, Stanky Legs said:

Hamhuis was injured. You can't trade a guy when his face was smashed in with a puck. When he was healthy he gave JB 3 teams to play ball with. Only Dallas played ball and they went with someone else. 

47 minutes ago, combover said:

But they didn't. He should have be asked to waive in February not ten minutes to the end of deadline day. Same can be said for vrbata who said he would have waived if asked earlier in the season.(when he would have had some value still) This mismanagement is the reason the team has so few picks well that  and the  trading picks for projects or throw ins. Kassian +5 just waive the guy if you want him gone. 

5th for Larson can't make the oilers but benning fanboys have him pegged as top 4 in vancouver

A long and growing list of WASTED picks.

Not resigning hamhuis is step in the right direction,  but just wait because with benning its one step forward ten steps back. 

He just got back from a horrific facial injury in early February. Did you expect teams to line up to trade for him when the guy has a full face shield on and can barely eat solid food?

it's good retribution by jb and the boys toward hammer for being a wanker and not open to getting traded at deadline.  if he was a canuck at heart he would have taken the hit to gain a pick / prospect for the team.  didnt want to be away from home.   such a high price to pay for being paid a king's ransom to play hockey.  this is all besides the fact he played like crap last year.  oh dear, like cherry, i miss bobby orr who tore up his last contract with the blackhawks when his knee finally gave out.  there is someone (#1 overall dman) who could still appreciate his good fortune to play pro sport.  c u later hamhios

43 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Higgins and Vey were placed on waivers. How do you expect to trade them when nobody wanted them for free?

Name ONE team located in the NHL that would have actually traded for Weber, Bartkowski, Vrbata or Burrows(with his cap hit)?

Miller's cap hit is $6 million and he has a NTC.  He only wants to play on the west coast. Name a west coast team that would have taken him at $6 million?

Hamhuis gave JB a list of 3 teams to play ball with a week before the deadline. Only one wanted to play ball and they ended up trading for another Dman who they liked better. 

As for Hansen he's a key member of our team on a cap friendly contract.  He's not for sale. 

Edler was injured. And he's a top 4 guy on a team that was thin on the blueline. And he also has a NTC.  And his cap hit is $5 million.  Easier said than done to trade him

well there was a time when vrbata was rockn (higgy and burrows too to some degree).  we could have traded him then.  he was never going to be a part of our core even in the immediate future; some could see that from their armchairs.  i'm not sure what jb was seeing other than the well stated fact that aquiliieni wanted to win a cup with that roster.  jb should have been able to tell him that they would be hard pressed to make the playoffs let alone any cup

Archived