The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

Wonder if he decides to turn pro this coming spring or play out another year at Michigan

have his rights til Aug 15, 2020, so perhaps we allow him to play the full 4 years at college?  Considering how much time he has missed due to injury, to allow him to develop his strength and game in college wouldn't be the worst.

I hate being a downer but I am unsure of whether William will ever be more than a good AHL player while providing depth for the Canucks when injuries raise their ugly head,  Not all our prospects will turn into NHL regulars.

28 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I hate being a downer but I am unsure of whether William will ever be more than a good AHL player while providing depth for the Canucks when injuries raise their ugly head,  Not all our prospects will turn into NHL regulars.

With that blazing speed of his I wonder if management envisions him on a checking line with his ability to close the gap on the fore check and there may also be the threat of him scoring on  breakaways if he is used on a PK role.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

With that blazing speed of his I wonder if management envisions him on a checking line with his ability to close the gap on the fore check and there may also be the threat of him scoring on  breakaways if he is used on a PK role.

I hope you are right but considering his size and previous injuries (Shoulder) I wonder if he will be able to handle the heavy going considering how hitting on the fore check as is his specialty.  We will see I suppose.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

His style of play with the speed and shiftiness with the puck I have a better feeling of him making it as a regular over some of our other prospects. That is if his shoulder holds up.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

His style of play with the speed and shiftiness with the puck I have a better feeling of him making it as a regular over some of our other prospects. That is if his shoulder holds up.

He said that he has been adjusting his play style so that he doesn't end his career early but did mention that his nasty play is usually how he gets into the game. I think another full year in the NCAA would help him really refine that before jumping into the rigorous pro schedule and bigger/tougher opponents.

38 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The game I watched last year he was absolutely dominating the ice almost every shift. Sees the ice well, played both the PK and PP, throwing hits and skates very well. Very excited for this kid. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, cyoung said:

He said that he has been adjusting his play style so that he doesn't end his career early but did mention that his nasty play is usually how he gets into the game. I think another full year in the NCAA would help him really refine that before jumping into the rigorous pro schedule and bigger/tougher opponents.

Oh I’m sure he realizes this and will be more cautious with his tenacity but you can’t stop the other team from hitting you. That’s where I worry about his shoulder. Getting those bigger pro bodies hitting him up against the boards.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I hope you are right but considering his size and previous injuries (Shoulder) I wonder if he will be able to handle the heavy going considering how hitting on the fore check as is his specialty.  We will see I suppose.

He's a really good fit for today's NHL. Speed and skill combo with and plays with an edge. Trying to be completely unbiased but I think he's bound to make it to the league in some way or another because of that. I wouldn't say his "specialty" is hitting on the forecheck, it's something he does well and it may or may not be his "specialty" in the NHL depending on how he develops, but that's not really his specialty on Michigan.

Shoulder is a major concern though that's a really bad weakness to have in almost any sport. 

On 11/11/2018 at 8:33 PM, Grape said:

He's a really good fit for today's NHL. Speed and skill combo with and plays with an edge. Trying to be completely unbiased but I think he's bound to make it to the league in some way or another because of that. I wouldn't say his "specialty" is hitting on the forecheck, it's something he does well and it may or may not be his "specialty" in the NHL depending on how he develops, but that's not really his specialty on Michigan.

Shoulder is a major concern though that's a really bad weakness to have in almost any sport. 

Are you talking about Austin Matthews?  He's got serious issues with both his shoulders.  

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are you talking about Austin Matthews?  He's got serious issues with both his shoulders.  

That he does. I can’t recall if Matthews has ever had surgery on it though whereas Lockwood has had 2 on the same shoulder I believe. Matthews also has 4 inches and 50 pounds on Lockwood. The most recent injury to Matthews is what I get scared for with Lockwood and his shoulder. You can take the hits out of your game but you can’t stop somebody from hitting you when driving to the dirty areas. If you stop going to the dirty areas then you might not succeed at the next level anyway.