Canucks Community

2016 Canucks Development Camp Roster

DeltaSwede

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Some links on this year's camp invitees:

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/7/4/canucks-development-camp-invites-forwards

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/7/4/canucks-development-camp-invites-defensemen

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/7/4/canucks-development-camp-invites-goaltenders

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/2016-canucks-development-camp-invitees-forwards-part-one-1.2293032

PITB will probably post something on the rest of the invitees within the next day or so.

Looks like Canucks Army's pGPS tool predicts Carcone, D'Aoust, Burghardt, Maksimovich, and Galipeau have the best chances of actually becoming NHL players.

D'Aoust's stats are very impressive along with his weight relative to his height. Looks like a solid invite group.

Skating drills with the Dmen to start things off.  Stecher and Joulevi, very impressive stride and edge work, stretcher looks to be the best skater out there.  Most others looking a little awkward by comparison.  Honorable mention to Galipeau and Olson.

Puck handling drills next...

Stretcher and Joulevi leading the way again.  Stretcher is a beaut. Everything he does is crisp and on point.  Really liking this signing, he's gonna be good for us.  Assuming he can overcome his size.  He doesn't look that small on the ice, haven't seen any battle drills yet.  His low Centre of gravity should help him.

Hard to watch the others cause Stretcher and Joulevi are so fun to watch.  Candella is going to need a lot of seasoning.  Olsen looks good out there, definitely showing well. Never heard of Galipeau before camp, but I think he's making a statement....solid skills and skating.  Stewart looks far more comfortable as a Dman.  Brisebois not really standing out, good or bad.

Getting pucks on net from the point and walking the line...

Everyone needs work here. Lol.  A lot of wobblers, Stretcher still the best of the bunch though.

Joulevi is such a nice passer.  He and the Sedins are going to show us some magic in the future.

If Galipeau wasn't a 2017 Draft eligible, I'd be interested in possibly getting him under contract.

Good size, skates well, nice skillset and offensive upside, solid two-way play, and statistics that project fairly good odds for him reaching the NHL (based on the current cohort-based models). Also brings a lot of grit, a willingness to drop the gloves, leadership ability, winning experience, and many of the "intangibles" that GMs look for.

Unfortunately, 29 other teams (EDIT: 30 after expansion) will also get a chance to draft him next year. And while he has a lot going for him, I'd still rather not spend a pick to acquire an overager like him unless it's late in the draft. Hopefully he progresses well next season but still manages to slip to the 6th or 7th round (or through the draft completely).

Good to hear he's showing well at camp. He was one of the players that really caught my eye (along with D'Aoust and Carcone) when I started researching the announced invites.

Thanks for the reports from everyone at camp. Keep up the good work. :) 

Any info or impressions on D'Aoust and/or Carcone would be appreciated.

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

If Galipeau wasn't a 2017 Draft eligible, I'd be interested in possibly getting him under contract.

Good size, skates well, nice skillset and offensive upside, solid two-way play, and statistics that project fairly good odds for him reaching the NHL (based on the current cohort-based models). Also brings a lot of grit, a willingness to drop the gloves, leadership ability, winning experience, and many of the "intangibles" that GMs look for.

Unfortunately, 29 other teams (EDIT: 30 after expansion) will also get a chance to draft him next year. And while he has a lot going for him, I'd still rather not spend a pick to acquire an overager like him unless it's late in the draft. Hopefully he progresses well next season but still manages to slip to the 6th or 7th round (or through the draft completely).

Good to hear he's showing well at camp. He was one of the players that really caught my eye (along with D'Aoust and Carcone) when I started researching the announced invites.

Thanks for the reports from everyone at camp. Keep up the good work. :) 

Any info or impressions on D'Aoust and/or Carcone would be appreciated.

Didn't really notice D'Aoust or Carcone yesterday.  Will keep an eye out today. Dmen just left the ice, if its like yesterday, they should all be on the ice next.

So much harder to keep track of 30 players than 10 with all of them on the ice.

Line rushes and cycling...

Candela looked better when involved in the play than when in the drills.

Carcone does not look small out there although he is listed at 5-10 170.  Pretty stocky.  Has some grit and nose for the net gets the puck up quick when in tight.  But not standing out too much.

D'Aoust, nice speed and hands. Shifty with a decent shot.  Again doesn't stand out too much.  But its hard I suppose with 30 guys on the ice.

Lockwood...fast and skinny.  Looks to have loads of potential though.

Jasek...quick hands and good speed. Nice size, needs to gain some weight thought.

Stetcher...size doesn't seem to be an issue.  Pushing people around on the one on one drills.  Strong on the puck.  When he and Boeser were battling, he was winning.

Zhukenov...not sure about him.  Just seems uninterested at times, then all of sudden turns it on and your like "wow".  Very inconsistent.

Boeser...nice speed coming out of the corners, protects the puck well.

Brett McKenzie...big boy, a bit raw, going to need work on everything, but that size is nice.  Pretty quick with his size too.

1 minute ago, Knucklehd said:

Its surprising, that at this stage, these kids still tend to let up on the skating drills.  As in, either not following through completely on the drill, or just coasting through it.

Who's doing that? Can you name a few if you can? 

From day 1 my favorites were

boeser: he is looking like a huge steal at 23, this shot is outrageous,  speed is good (not amazing but solid)  and he looks strong out there.. He certainly stood out the most. 

Stecher: also looked much more developed than the rest of the camp,  super impressed with his compete level and shiftiness

Jasek: he looked much better than last year,  wasn't getting manhandled,  was quick,  showcased his hands... Would love to see him come to Na to get a better read

Tralmaks: he looked like a beast,  his skating definitely needs work but he was like a man among boys.  Tore up the echl,  will be cool to see what he does in the ncaa

Juolevi: didn't get much of a look but from what I did see it was obvious his skating and positioning is definitely top notch

Some guys who struggled

Abols: it was obvious he was nervous,  puck control was poor and it ruined the day for him,  not the best skater but not terrible. 

Brisebois: he wasnt bad but he was underwhelming.  But so was tanev up until a few years ago.  Positionally he was strong tho

I wish I could see more but I work the rest of the week haha hard to get a good read from one session. 

Edit: forgot to mention  D'aoust and perizek looked really good too,  was impressed.  Overall the camp is seemingly much stronger than last year 

19 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Who's doing that? Can you name a few if you can? 

To some degree all of them let off the gas a bit.  It was easier to notice who wasn't.  Boeser, Valk, Miller, Laplante to name a few.  

There was a point where the coach did stop the drill and told the group to pick it up.

Zhukenov was probably the biggest culprit.  When he doesn't have the puck, I've noticed a definate change in engagement.

8 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

Practice is done for another day, all on all, intensity was better than yesterday.  

Notable standouts:

Boeser

Stetcher

Joulevi

Galipeau

Jasek

Stukel

Sleepers:

Olson

Burghardt

Lockwood

Stoooookel

17 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Is Adam Gaudette there?  Kid had an amazing second half of the season last year. 

Yup, he is here.  Hasn't really stood out, good or bad.  Was watching for him, but didn't really see anything impressive or disappointing.  Just quietly going through camp I suppose.

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

From day 1 my favorites were

boeser: he is looking like a huge steal at 23, this shot is outrageous,  speed is good (not amazing but solid)  and he looks strong out there.. He certainly stood out the most. 

Stecher: also looked much more developed than the rest of the camp,  super impressed with his compete level and shiftiness

Jasek: he looked much better than last year,  wasn't getting manhandled,  was quick,  showcased his hands... Would love to see him come to Na to get a better read

Tralmaks: he looked like a beast,  his skating definitely needs work but he was like a man among boys.  Tore up the echl,  will be cool to see what he does in the ncaa

Juolevi: didn't get much of a look but from what I did see it was obvious his skating and positioning is definitely top notch

Some guys who struggled

Abols: it was obvious he was nervous,  puck control was poor and it ruined the day for him,  not the best skater but not terrible. 

Brisebois: he wasnt bad but he was underwhelming.  But so was tanev up until a few years ago.  Positionally he was strong tho

I wish I could see more but I work the rest of the week haha hard to get a good read from one session. 

Edit: forgot to mention  D'aoust and perizek looked really good too,  was impressed.  Overall the camp is seemingly much stronger than last year 

I agree with most of this, although I wasn't terribly taken with Tralmaks.

Archived