The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 Canucks Development Camp Roster

DeltaSwede

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

Pretty sure they didn't pay to come to development camp. A plane ticket is pennies for the org. 

Players in the NCAA aren't allowed to accept any outside funds, they have to fund everything themselves. So they did pay for themselves. Look at what Basketball players in the NCAA have to deal with. The org can pay for the plane tickets of BCHL, CHL, and other league players... just not NCAA players... which is the league where Boeser and Gaudette play.

14 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I look forward to the intra-squad scrimmage. Last year they did a 3 on 3 tournament. 

I get why they invite extra goalies, though it's really not needed this year. Garteig/Demko at our dev camp should push the players that much more. 

Of the overagers, it appears the Canucks focused on scorers this time around. 

Excited to see: Juolevi, Boeser, Demko, Stecher, Brisebois, and Gaudette. In that order. 

Ya I'm equally interested in guys like Olsen and Carl Neill and Gaudette

14 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

15 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Canucks have announced the roster for the 2016 development camp. A lot of names that are unknown to me and a lot of camp invites. Someone care to fill us in on a few of these names not drafted by the Canucks?

http://canucks.nhl.com/v2/ext/2016 Development Camp Roster.pdf

Jasek will be there.  Intriguing player. I wanna see what he can do now with a year in the Czech men's league under his belt.  Also Zuk and Lockwood.

A name that stood out to me being invited was Andrew Miller who is 25. Thought that seemed a little old for this sort of thing. I know nothing about him and he got 11 points in 31 games for R.I.T. Seems like a strange player to invite, he played 2 games for Binghamton Senators this past season.. 

Jacob Sweeney might also be worth watching.

His stats from last season are certainly nothing special but he also suffered a hand/wrist injury early in that season and this might have really limited his effectiveness.

The previous year, he was the 9th highest scoring defenseman in the Q with 17G, 29A, 46PTS in 66GP (and 5G, 11A, 16PTS in 16 playoff games).

Sweeney attended New Jersey's camp last year and he impressed enough to earn an ATO with their affiliate in Albany (but failed to make the team and was cut and returned to the Q).

Sweeney is only 21 years old and he's got good size (seen him listed recently at 6'5 and 215lbs--which is a bit bigger than his listing on our camp roster) and from the reports I've read he skates very well (although his footwork needed improvement back in 2013 according to some of the pre-draft scouting). 

3 hours ago, Knucklehd said:

Have they released a practice schedule yet for shawnigan this coming week?

DATE     TIME                           LOCATION                                      EVENT
July 4      9:15AM - 12:00PM      Shawnigan Lake School                     On-ice practice
July 5      9:15AM - 12:00PM      Shawnigan Lake School                     On-ice practice
                2:30PM - 4:30PM        Nanaimo Child Dev. Centre               Visit and photo opportunity
                                                     Boys and Girls Club                           Visit and photo opportunity
July 6      9:15AM - 12:00PM      Shawnigan Lake School                     On-ice practice
July 7      9:30AM - 11:15AM     Shawnigan Lake School                     On-ice practice
                5:00PM                        Shawnigan Lake School                      Scrimmage

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I bet the American kids and their families will be thrilled to practising on the 4th July. From the times I've been in the Sates on the 4th July ....it's party time

I'm pretty sure plenty of kids play Baseball, Basketball, and Football on July 4, and do training. Let alone hockey players. 

Do you think High School or College football players in the States just have burgers, and pop during the summer? 

13 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

NCAA athletes can't legally accept a pen from a professional organization let alone a plane ticket.

Good to know. It's just weird to think that the Canucks (or other NHL teams for that matter) don't have a way to circumvent such a rule when they want NCAA players to fly cross-country. 

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

Good to know. It's just weird to think that the Canucks (or other NHL teams for that matter) don't have a way to circumvent such a rule when they want NCAA players to fly cross-country. 

you'd think so considering there's tons of athletes out there receiving gifts and whatnot. James Paxton (Seattle Mariners) received a Toyota Tacoma from the University of Kentucky. 

Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if there was some money given to the players under the table and on the very down low to compensate them for the flights, but the rules dictate that they can't. There's countless examples across all NCAA sports of these rules being violated.

On 7/3/2016 at 10:26 AM, Fred65 said:

I bet the American kids and their families will be thrilled to practising on the 4th July. From the times I've been in the Sates on the 4th July ....it's party time

We have a winner here for the stupidest post of the thread^^^^

On 7/3/2016 at 10:26 AM, Fred65 said:

Yeah, as if they'd rather be waving their flags and drinking than playing hockey at or near the professional level. 

Archived