The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Panthers extend Ekblad - 8 yrs $7.5mil AAV

23 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Great deal for a future Norris calibre Dman if you're Florida.

No bridge, no fuss... I wonder why? 

They know he is going to be a great Dman I guess pay him more now for 8 years instead of paying him more than $7.5 after the bridge deal.

I like that Jones and Ekblad are being resigned for less than expected AAV. This sets the market value for other dmen that will be resigned to be lower that expected. Meaning extensions on Hutton and Gudbranson will be reasonable and won't be overpayed unlike the Sbisa contract. 

So next year Florida will have $38 million tied up in 7 players.  That's gonna be half their cap. Plus another 4 players will be RFA's. They look good in terms of their top end players, they might have some issues filling out the rest of their roster however. 

I'm sure they analyzed the sh!t out of this and decided that his relatively average advanced stats demanded the big bucks

Yeah, he scored 36pts..... he also just turned 20 years old.   Florida bought what - one year of unrestricted free agency?  Am I missing something?

This is what happens when you throw a monster contract at a guy like Yandle.   Why should Ekblad settle for less?

Wow, he is 20years old but man in a couple years this is gonna be a steal. All #1 dman are gonna ask for 8+ million. His next contract is gonna be huge since he will be in the middle of his prime and in the meantime he gets to live in Miami. Low-pressure market, beaches, and a team that is heading the right direction. Beauty of a deal all around.

Ekblad has the potential to be a number 1 dman but he is not even close to being that right now. He needs to improve his defensive game a lot. Hopefully he doesn't just sit on his pot of gold like many of the edmonton players have with their huge unearned contracts.

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Set for life at 20....and dude is 4 years younger than me. Hard hit to the ego. 

Eh this guy is the same age as me and is already set for life and rules a country

MTIwNjA4NjM0MjAzODMzODY4.jpg

how do you think I feel?

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'm sure they analyzed the sh!t out of this and decided that his relatively average advanced stats demanded the big bucks

Yeah, he scored 36pts..... he also just turned 20 years old.   Florida bought what - one year of unrestricted free agency?  Am I missing something?

This is what happens when you throw a monster contract at a guy like Yandle.   Why should Ekblad settle for less?

Because he hasn't put his time in.. Hasn't proved much.  36 pts? 7.5 mill can get you more that that.. I find this a asinine contract coming off an elc? Florida just F-themselves. People say he will be worth it in a few years? Then pay him in a few years. No need to sign him now to that mess of a contract. Mental contracts like this make me nuts.( DE Pietro, Daigle Yashin... List goes on..)

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Ekblad has the potential to be a number 1 dman but he is not even close to being that right now. He needs to improve his defensive game a lot. Hopefully he doesn't just sit on his pot of gold like many of the edmonton players have with their huge unearned contracts.

What?

The guy has produced consistently since he came into the league, and has a very sound defensive game. He's not Norris calibre yet, but he's definitely a top D man. 

Archived