The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens' sign F Alexander Radulov [1 year x $5.75M]

Al-mo

He goes UFA and can't be claimed by Vegas in expansion draft. Won't need to be protected by MTL and they can re sign him to multi year deal after the expansion draft. 

MTL hit this one out the park. Get an elite player on 1 year deal. 

If it doesn't work out he'll probably return to the KHL mid-season.  If he can control his temper - it could be a good signing.  They need top-6 goal scorers.  Bergevin getting input from Weber:

I dunno what to make of this, Montreal's gambling on his undeniable skill set but he could be a locker room hassle. I thought I'd heard he's got a family now or something, maybe he's matured?

If he can keep his ego in check and be a professional he could very well have success in Montreal.

21 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Radulov is amazing.

Montreal is probably the worst possible fit for him after moving Subban for so-called dressing room reasons. 

Subban's team mates and captain have been said to have told GM in exit meetings that they didn't want Subban in the dressing room. 

Radulov's Captain in NSH was Weber, and the GM spoke to him as well as many others about Radulov and they all vouched for him. 

Subban's problem was all day every day it was all about Subban. HE wanted attention all the time and couldn't shut up even for a moment. Radulov broke his curfew 5 years ago when he was 25 years old. 

I bet 99% of NHL players have broken curfew at one point or another in their hockey playing life. 

3 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

So stupid. I guess Weber will try to keep him in line; but that won't necessarily help matters. 

Won't look so stupid if Price and Weber remain healthy and Radulov does what he can on the ice. For Montreal it's a gamble that could result in a 40 goal, 90 point guy if he's grown up.

18 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Won't look so stupid if Price and Weber remain healthy and Radulov does what he can on the ice. For Montreal it's a gamble that could result in a 40 goal, 90 point guy if he's grown up.

Berginvan is getting criticized almost as much as Jim Rutherford was last year for his strange deals.

general-manager-jim-rutherford-of-the-pi

52 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

The thing about Rutherford is that he has 2 more cups than the Canucks organization, so I don't really understand how so many here can feel that they're in position to criticize him.

He has horse shoes up his..../

He threw some stuff against the wall to see what would stick and it just kinda worked out. He goes and trades for a C who performed badly in the playoffs for the Canucks in Bonino. Then while his D was in need, he used a huge portion of his capital for a high risk trade for Phil Kessel. Then to polish off his D, he makes another high risk trade for an underperforming in every level Justin Schultz.

None of this worked for most of the regular season. Then he made a hail Mary coaching change half way through. He gets a Torts guy because you know, the theory behind getting a guy to kick the horse worked so well for the Canucks.

Then the team goes on a run and doesn't look back. And then the guy who invented the Cam Ward gets another Cam Ward gifted to him when his starter went down.

Jim Rutherford was just winging it. He spent years winging it the same way after 2006 and it got him nowhere. Alex Semin 5 year deal says hi.  And it just goes to show what a crapshoot the NHL playoffs really are. Could his team ever win  a Presidents in a million years ? No. But anyone can win the cup if they get hot at the right time.

Shea Weber on new teammate Alexander Radulov.

“I don’t really know what to say about it because I was one of the guys that stood up for him and wanted him back. There were a bunch of us that played with him that felt the same way.

“You feel a little bit betrayed, but I am sure he feels bad about it now and he looks back on it and wishes it didn’t happen. Those are the things you can’t take back and we’ve got to move forward.”

On 7/1/2016 at 11:58 AM, Al-mo said:

High Zero risk, high reward type of signing..... They look like Hypocrites for dealing Subban and bringing in Radulov but honestly 5.75 million for an established goal scorer is not a bad deal.  He could outscore Lucic and Eriksson next season.

Exactly.

• 1 month later...
On 01/07/2016 at 6:49 PM, WHL rocks said:

1 year deal? Why couldn't JB sign him. I'd give him 2 years. 

Great signing. This is a premium hockey player. He didn't slamp around a cabbie, he isn't accused of sexual assault, he went out after curfew. Who cares. Players used to tell stories about sneaking out of the room after curfew like they were war stories when I was growing up. 

During the Oilers hay days it was well reported that many players often used cocaine and partied all night. Patrick Roy got arrested for domestic assault. But this guy missed curfew and he'd the worst team mate in history of NHL. Nonsense. 

Great signing for a goal scorer. 

If he wasn't Russian there would be no attitude issues. 

Well there's also the video of him smacking one of the coaching staff from his team so I think there's more here that meets the eye! You're right staying out late isn't the end of the world, and yes he'll score some goals, but what will the team chemistry look like? I wouldn't touch that one.

Archived