The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

14 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

You're not talking about the worst player on the roster... You're talking about the player on the roster not worth six million.

I don't have a problem with players sent down to Utica. It's a good idea to have depth so you can have 3 players in Utica you can call back if/when we're struck by injuries and don't loose in quality. But it should be the worst three players. Not as a punishment due to management listen to angry, idiotic fans.

Name three players that are worse than Loui on the Canucks

Guy won't be sent down as "punishment"  if sent down it will be because he just isn't good enough to come close to justifying a $6 mill cap hit.

And you might want to tone down on calling other fans names, it does nothing to boost your point of view and imo diminishes it.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Guy won't be sent down as "punishment"  if sent down it will be because he just isn't good enough to come close to justifying a $6 mill cap hit.

And you might want to tone down on calling other fans names, it does nothing to boost your point of view and imo diminishes it.

Well, I have to rely on other fans that think Loui was close to top 6 before Miller and Ferland. Wich means he's close to 3rd line.

The fans calling Loui trash or something close to that are fans that want Ferland instead. Now we got Ferland so Loui can play his part doing 3 hits a season.

The namecalling, fans bullying players on their own roster is idiots. It's very simple... Trash a player and you trash the brand. Less players want to come here or they cost more money.

I'm not talking about normal citisizing. It's the hate I resent and the effect it has on the community.

Edited by Timråfan

17 minutes ago, gurn said:

I would argue, Gaudette, Leivo, MacEwen, and Schaller were all worse than Eriksson. His ineptitude is dramatically overblown and a lot of people have completely stopped looking at actual numbers when talking about Eriksson. Eriksson out-produced all four of those players offensively (Except Leivo if you take his time with only the Canucks, but even then it's very close) and anyone who's watched Eriksson's defensive game closely can see that he's far better than all four of them defensively as well. As much as Eriksson's overpaid, he's still a very competent bottom six forward.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I would argue, Gaudette, Leivo, MacEwen, and Schaller were all worse than Eriksson. His ineptitude is dramatically overblown and a lot of people have completely stopped looking at actual numbers when talking about Eriksson. Eriksson out-produced all four of those players offensively (Except Leivo if you take his time with only the Canucks, but even then it's very close) and anyone who's watched Eriksson's defensive game closely can see that he's far better than all four of them defensively as well. As much as Eriksson's overpaid, he's still a very competent bottom six forward.

Gotta include intangibles.  Loui is soft on and off pucks.  He’s slow, he’s weak, his hands are gone.  For 1 million, I’d much rather have Gaudette or Big Mac.  Loui is done in the NHL. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Gotta include intangibles.  Loui is soft on and off pucks.  He’s slow, he’s weak, his hands are gone.  For 1 million, I’d much rather have Gaudette or Big Mac.  Loui is done in the NHL. 

Being soft on and off pucks is a tangible, as it should play out on the ice as numbers in some way. Loui's average offensive numbers and good defensive numnbers suggest that it's not a problem. Intangibles are things such at attitude, leadership, personality, etc. There might be a case that Loui has a bad attitude, but I wouldn't say that being soft on pucks is an intangible. Similar with the hands and food-speed comments--such shortcomings should show itself in the results on-ice, so those too are tangibles. I think the only thing that might keep Eriksson out of the NHL is his contract. I firmly believe that based on what we've seen in the past three years, he's still an NHL-calibre player and many Canuck fans are guilty of hyperbolic thinking.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So Alf, you feel strongly...IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW YOU FEEL...Just get it done Jim    IF YOU SMELL WHAT THE "ALF" IS COOKIN'  :)

Edited by dpn1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, -AJ- said:

Being soft on and off pucks is a tangible, as it should play out on the ice as numbers in some way. Loui's average offensive numbers and good defensive numnbers suggest that it's not a problem. Intangibles are things such at attitude, leadership, personality, etc. There might be a case that Loui has a bad attitude, but I wouldn't say that being soft of pucks is an intangible. Similar with the hands and food-speed comments--such shortcomings should show itself in the results on-ice, so those too are tangibles. I think the only thing that might keep Eriksson out of the NHL is his contract. I firmly believe that based on what we've seen in the past three years, he's still an NHL-calibre player and many Canuck fans are guilty of hyperbolic thinking.

Can’t measure soft on and off pucks.  Maybe hits?  Loui had 3.  His play is no longer an NHL level.  He’s aged, and no longer can compete.  The game is crazy fast, with lots of really strong guys.  Loui is slow, and weak.  Plus, his hands have gone.  Can’t measure any of those things.  Gaudette for 1 million is much better than Loui.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Can’t measure soft on and off pucks.  Maybe hits?  Loui had 3.  His play is no longer an NHL level.  He’s aged, and no longer can compete.  The game is crazy fast, with lots of really strong guys.  Loui is slow, and weak.  Plus, his hands have gone.  Can’t measure any of those things.  Gaudette for 1 million is much better than Loui.  

It's well-known that hits are inversely correlated with possession metrics. If hits were the be-all end all statistic, then we let a top defenseman go in Del Zotto. At the end of the day, his numbers show that he still out-produces Gaudette and a further analysis shows that Gaudette's defensive numbers are quite substantially worse than Eriksson's. It's the classic case of something new and shiny being more exciting than the old and dull item, even if that old and dull item is still better. I firmly believe that there's no strong quantitative case to be made that Eriksson is worse than any of the four players I named as of the end of last season.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It's well-known that hits are inversely correlated with possession metrics. If hits were the be-all end all statistic, then we let a top defenseman go in Del Zotto. At the end of the day, his numbers show that he still out-produces Gaudette and a further analysis shows that Gaudette's defensive numbers are quite substantially worse than Eriksson's. It's the classic case of something new and shiny being more exciting than the old and dull item, even if that old and dull item is still better. I firmly believe that there's no strong quantitative case to be made that Eriksson is worse than any of the four players I named as of the end of last season.

Loui is done.  No matter how one tries to look at numbers.  He’s old, slow, soft, has no hands, and can be easily replaced by a younger, and more hungry player fir 1 million.  

• Upvote 1

Figured I would look at his old highlights and guess what he plays the same style.....difference is there's better options on the team and his not hungry enough to work for it....he's use to being one of the best players on a team and he earned that in Dallas and Boston but not in Van...I'm a Loui hater plain and simple....In Boston he had a good center, that drove the play and he got power play time....he fought for pucks in Boston and Dallas but that guy has never shown up in Van.... His a commentary player and guess what's his the last guy that should be tried with Petey and Bo.....young guys that fight for it first not the  vet that hasn't done anything in how many season living off old glory....also you could put anyone with Petey and Bo and they would look good.... Loui big problem is he thinks his a star player but he doesn't have star player talent doesn't help he gets paid like one too. 

This gags all over again. Loui thinks his entitled to a easy spot playing with Petey or  Bo and it doesn't work that way...it's not that coach doesn't trust him it's the fact his done nothing to deserve it....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I very much agree on your evaluation of where he is in relation to the ones you mentioned and I am not a fan of the nasty rhetoric that is spewed out on here about him either.

The big issue for most reasonable fans is his lack of production considering what he was brought in and paid for. IMO the blame for that falls more or less equally on both management for drastically overpaying for a player who was likely on the downside of his career and a player, for what ever reason, just never seemed to find his game once he was here.

I do hope they find a mutually amicable solution that works for both management and player in the days or weeks ahead. The toxic environment that has developed around him in part through the media and also in the CDC and other hockey forums; is harmful to both him personally and the Canucks brand as well.

As it stands; Loui is not likely to attract any trade interest because of his existing contract and its value. I am not well versed in contracts and contract law but wonder if there would be an appetite for him and his agent to re-negotiate his contract with a more favourable dollar value and cap hit in order to facilitate a possible move to another team? Would this even be a possibility?

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Loui is done.  No matter how one tries to look at numbers.  He’s old, slow, soft, has no hands, and can be easily replaced by a younger, and more hungry player fir 1 million.  

So it makes no difference if the 1million player is better or not?

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Being soft on and off pucks is a tangible, as it should play out on the ice as numbers in some way. Loui's average offensive numbers and good defensive numnbers suggest that it's not a problem. Intangibles are things such at attitude, leadership, personality, etc. There might be a case that Loui has a bad attitude, but I wouldn't say that being soft on pucks is an intangible. Similar with the hands and food-speed comments--such shortcomings should show itself in the results on-ice, so those too are tangibles. I think the only thing that might keep Eriksson out of the NHL is his contract. I firmly believe that based on what we've seen in the past three years, he's still an NHL-calibre player and many Canuck fans are guilty of hyperbolic thinking.

Louie sh(t talking Green to the media after he defended Louie this past season is pretty glaring defect of personality. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Why not let people who not get so confused all the time discuss... It gets a bit silly when you don't understand what I'm talking about and yet quote me.

Really? Because I find it fascinating how someone as clueless as yourself about the rest of the team, can continually fault management and coaching when it comes to bust Dahlen and has been Loui. 

I’m sorry but you have zero clue what is good for this team. There is a reason Loui is done in Vancouver and it all falls on him not even remotely living up to his deal, then having the nerve to blame lack of ice time for his struggle. He more than earned his lack of ice time with 3 seasons of mediocre play. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Really? Because I find it fascinating how someone as clueless as yourself about the rest of the team, can continually fault management and coaching when it comes to bust Dahlen and has been Loui. 

I’m sorry but you have zero clue what is good for this team. There is a reason Loui is done in Vancouver and it all falls on him not even remotely living up to his deal, then having the nerve to blame lack of ice time for his struggle. He more than earned his lack of ice time with 3 seasons of mediocre play. 

I believe you when you dare questioning the other fans defending the quality of Louis play.

You still don't have a clue why I talk about Bennings clumsy answers in interviews. I would have spelled it out for you if I thought that would help.

Just now, Timråfan said:

I believe you when you dare questioning the other fans defending the quality of Louis play.

You still don't have a clue why I talk about Bennings clumsy answers in interviews. I would have spelled it out for you if I thought that would help.

You do realize if Loui would have shut his mouth and was a good soldier like say Higgins when he was sent to the AHL , none of this would have happen....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

You do realize if Loui would have shut his mouth and was a good soldier like say Higgins when he was sent to the AHL , none of this would have happen....

I, as a Swede doesn't even see the problem with that interview. You really have a problem with honest people. Or, too much respect for authority...

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

I, as a Swede doesn't even see the problem with that interview. You really have a problem with honest people. Or, too much respect for authority...

Well I guess I'm old school when you throw shade at your coach that has stood up/ by you all season I get ticked off.....Loui could have just as easy said he just had to work harder and hope to get a chance in the top six instead of sounding like an entitled prick......Loui burnt his bridge with Jim and green and wouldn't you agree that something is wrong/going on with Loui since he has Fallen out of favor with two coaches now.....You've mentioned how Jim handles interviews well Loui brought it on him self and Dahlen has kinda proved Jim right about him being entitled sine he basically ran back to the SHL. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2