The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN's assessment. Agree or Disagree?

HC20.0

1 hour ago, Lastresort318 said:

We are stocking up on prospects to fill in our team. Once they do that, then our future picks can be traded for stars.

prospect along with draft picks alone done's get you any stairs.. usually involve a relevant player going back.. ie whatever you are filling your teams with now.. and mid 1st round prospect doesn't hold as high of a value.. look at what we have to give up for gudbranson.. McCann + our 2nd round pick.. and that's not even a star.. just a serviceable top 4 defenseman that Florida obvious have given up on.. Florida's defense doesn't look good right now as all they have is Ekblad yet they can afford to trade away Gudbranson shows how much they think of him.. 

6 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

A screen shot from a TSN article today. Basically saying management's out to lunch. Personally I think TSN's full of crap here. We're addressing organizational needs, but OMG WE'RE NOT BLOWING UP THE TEAM! Seriously though, I think Eriksson and Gubranson were both much needed pieces to the puzzle. I'm just curious, do you guys agree with TSN or not? Pretty much they're saying go full on rebuild. I just want others opinions cause this article really annoyed me.

image.png

Edit: Here's the article link: http://www.tsn.ca/gms-seem-determined-to-repeat-past-mistakes-1.519409

I agree that GM's are stupid for throwing so much term at aging players, but I don't agree with their assessment of Vancouver at all.

Really? I would say everything they say about us is spot on, these guys have connections for info and if you consider that the rumor of Aqualimnni refusing to accept the re-build has been going around for about 3 years now, I would say the fact that these guys are echoing it pretty much confirms what everyone knows but some refuse to accept. Those of us who lived through the 90's know what's going on and what's to come. It's going to be ugly.

And it's the owners who are spending the money, not the GM's, blame them for this, but don't forget to leave %50 at the door of the players union whose greed is quite frankly appalling. When their members try and do the right thing they won't let them.

Seriously how much is left to tear down?

Sedins - nope they are lifers

Burrows - 50/50

Hansen - probably worth more to us than any return we would get

Edler - tradeable as he has some value

Tanev - one of our steadiest D's

Thats all that is left of our core.

Miller - gone next year likely

Our current prospects are not really ready unless we push them like we did with Jake and McCann who were exposed when injuries occurred. We needed the 22-24 year olds that Benning picked up, and the free agents Miller and Vrbata  as a stop gap to ease the younger players in. Now we are building back up with additions of Gudbranson and Ericsson. Just need a few more years from the Sedins and hopefully a prospect or too exceeds expectations - Boesser et al.

I find that whole thing ridic. While I haven't wholeheartedly agreed to all of JB's choices, I like most of them. Guys that people whined over like Forsling, Clendening and Corrado have gone downhill. Shinkaruk and Connauton are up for grabs.

Sutter was so very injured, as was Edler. With a healthy team, and lots of kids a year in, I expect great things. If not, we can still make trades for lots of months to come.

8 minutes ago, insomniac604 said:

I find that whole thing ridic. While I haven't wholeheartedly agreed to all of JB's choices, I like most of them. Guys that people whined over like Forsling, Clendening and Corrado have gone downhill. Shinkaruk and Connauton are up for grabs.

Sutter was so very injured, as was Edler. With a healthy team, and lots of kids a year in, I expect great things. If not, we can still make trades for lots of months to come

Forsling has gone downhill???   How do you figure that?.

4 minutes ago, hookshott said:

Forsling has gone downhill???   How do you figure that?.

Well, everyone dubbed him "the next one".  He spent another year in Sweden.  Now Chicago has finally signed him to an ELC. Which includes a clause to return him to Europe if he doesn't make the roster.

Chicago's blueline is notoriously hard to crack, and even if you do make it, it may not be for long. 

Not so much that he's tumbled, but he hasn't risen. When we got rid of him people were flipping out but it's a year later and he doesn't have a one-way, and not likely to get one.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

prospect along with draft picks alone done's get you any stairs.. usually involve a relevant player going back.. ie whatever you are filling your teams with now.. and mid 1st round prospect doesn't hold as high of a value.. look at what we have to give up for gudbranson.. McCann + our 2nd round pick.. and that's not even a star.. just a serviceable top 4 defenseman that Florida obvious have given up on.. Florida's defense doesn't look good right now as all they have is Ekblad yet they can afford to trade away Gudbranson shows how much they think of him.. 

He is a right handed top four defenseman. Those have an ultra high vaule right now. Yes, mid level prospects are worth a star, but in future years, we can fill our "cupboards" with plenty and trade multiple away for the top level guy.

8 hours ago, Green Building said:

[Confirmed] TSN is Bush League. 

[Rumour] @Tre Mac is Pro Tank

Source?  Hate tsn all you want but this article has merit.  Gillis was canned for retooling and this is exactly what Benning is doing now.  No doubt there is pressure from ownership behind management's rational this offseason.  Why else make the trades for prospects that are 'further developed'?  Couple that with the inept ability to deal Hamhuis and Vrbaddy makes me question what direction this team is headed.

It's been 2 years... And not one single "expert" has known what Benning is doing...

Guys, you have to think REALLY HARD on this. Average fans inside the fanbase know more about Benning's direction then professional hockey insiders that are PAID to realize what GMs do across the league.

This article just exposes the incompetence of these guys and showing that they don't know ANYTHING about what's going on west of Toronto.

If I was the owner I wouldn't want to go the route of a total teardown.   Lose games and money and potentially still suck. Like Edmonton, Columbus, Colorado, etc.. who have sucked for a long time and gotten many high draft picks and are still sucking.

I don't think that every move JB does is right but he is trying and showing some progress at making the team younger and faster and harder to play against while keeping a good culture and trying to win.

Next year the Sedin will do well with Eriksson.  Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen, Hutton, Tryamkin are on the verge of being the core.  Demko, Boeser, and Juolevi are on the way.  We just got Gudbranson, Larsen, Rodin and it is like we just got Sutter too as he barely played last year.  Our lineup has skill, size, speed, and a dept of ages that is sustainable.   They will not win the Stanley Cup this year but I think they will be competitive and are on the right track to long term competitive sustainability. 

As a fan I see the plan, don't care what TSN says, and think this will be our most interesting camp and season in a long time.

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I love how everyone in the east seems to ignore the fact that we've been quietly building a decent prospect pool for a while now.

Idiots.

Define prospect pool. 

It's a logical assessment.

People who say, oh look at all our prospects now. Every other team have prospects that are just as deep or deeper than ours and every year, every team gets new prospects. Nothing special here. 

The thing is, if the players we went for in trades/FA doesn't pan out, we are in trouble. We're talking about Sutter, Baertschi, Eriksson, Etem, Granlund, Gudbranson. We've spent prospects/picks/cap space on these guys, they need to pan out. 

I don't know what the eastern media or other fan bases are on about, Benning has made it clear that he wants to surround his young players with good leadership and quality to form a healthy environment. Sure tanking can land you a Connor McDavid, but the Oilers have also been one of the worst teams in the NHL for the past 10 years and aren' even guaranteed to be better next year. If you look at how far the Canucks have gotten in their re-build after 2/3 years, and compare it to where the Oilers were 7 years ago.. we are so much further ahead. I think they are an example of how important it is to surround your young players with quality and leadership. Not only for guidance, but also to not have all the pressure on these young guys to pull the load. We noticed how it effected Horvats game last season, he did well, but would have done better in a smaller role.

The common theme that the veterans Benning acquires seems to follow, are that they behave professionally, work hard and have leadership qualities, which fits into his philosophy. Gudbranson looks like he's been chiseled like a statue and was on his way to becoming the Captain of the Panthers. Eriksson works out as hard as the Sedin's do, is professional and has got leadership skills as well. That's two players this offseason that fit perfectly into what Benning is trying to do.

Detroit haven't tanked in the last 25 years, I don't see anyone getting on their case and telling them to tank. It's tough to do, no doubt, but it can be done. We don't even know how good this team will be next season so we could still end up with a high pick. All I'm saying is, I am comfortable in knowing that our young players will be surrounded by classy teammates, who work hard, are professional, can take on responsibility, are leaders, and can teach these guys how to become the same. I think that's a healthy model to build a team around. The Pacific has gotten even tougher and we are only a week or so into the offseason. 

If you agree or disagree with the moves Benning makes, we can all agree he is sticking to his plan and model with every move he makes. You have to give him credit for that. I think it's the recipe for success. 

3 hours ago, insomniac604 said:

Well, everyone dubbed him "the next one".  He spent another year in Sweden.  Now Chicago has finally signed him to an ELC. Which includes a clause to return him to Europe if he doesn't make the roster.

Chicago's blueline is notoriously hard to crack, and even if you do make it, it may not be for long. 

Not so much that he's tumbled, but he hasn't risen. When we got rid of him people were flipping out but it's a year later and he doesn't have a one-way, and not likely to get one.

ELC can't be one-ways.  He's got the same type of contract as Tryamkin, who is also on a two-way and has an out clause to go back to Europe.

Archived