The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Etem Representing Canucks @ Pride Sunday

The Bookie

23 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I've got a couple question. Do gay people have more rights than heterosexual people?  Why do they need a parade ?

Am I allowed to be proud that I am heterosexual?  If I am proud to be heterosexual does that mean I'm a bigot?

Will we have to have separate dressing rooms in 20 years? That's the trend in schools isn't it?

Thanks 

Maybe because after years of harassment, oppression and societal judgement they have the right to a public celebration of their lifestyle and beliefs?

14 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

So he gave an example of rape of a serial killler vs what Etem is doing:? Perhaps he is the one who derailed the thread. You highlight me as an example, yet do not denounce how these guys brought disrespect to Etem? There should not have been even a mention of "rape" in this thread, yet you choose to pick on me? 

Please read the thread again.

a poster mentioned "I have never heard of a gay person raping a straight person "

Then a different poster replied Dahmler.

you are confused as to who mentioned rape in the first place. you have misplaced your ire, which happens a lot in threads regarding sexuality.

26 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I've got a couple question. Do gay people have more rights than heterosexual people?  Why do they need a parade ?

Am I allowed to be proud that I am heterosexual?  If I am proud to be heterosexual does that mean I'm a bigot?

Will we have to have separate dressing rooms in 20 years? That's the trend in schools isn't it?

Thanks 

1 No, they are equal, just like the rest of us in Canada

2 They don't need a parade, but they have one every year. Is that a problem for you?

3 yes you are allowed to be proud that you are heterosexual, but since you were born that way it is a bit silly to be proud of something you had no control over.

4 No it does not mean you are a bigot

5 No, in 20 years all the uptight, holier than thou people will have passed away leaving a Canada free of bigotry, and no one will give a crap about dressing rooms and who is in them.

6 Please enlighten me as to just where you get this stuff about schools and dressing rooms?

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

although the lgbt community in rupert isn't big enough to have a parade it is recognized and respected.  this foot bridge in our tourist waterfront area reflects it!

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 9.52.48 AM.png

That looks rad, they should keep that year round. 

The (former?) Canucks "fans" complaining on Facebook crack me up. The Canucks have participated in Pride events for the last 4-5 years, or at least as long as I've been watching hockey. Did they not notice before? Why pick now to boycott the team? 

21 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

The (former?) Canucks "fans" complaining on Facebook crack me up. The Canucks have participated in Pride events for the last 4-5 years, or at least as long as I've been watching hockey. Did they not notice before? Why pick now to boycott the team? 

It's like when american rednecks say they want to move to Canada, because they are mad that gays can now marry in the states.

4 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

A fair amount of people are saying on the Canucks' Facebook page that they're going to stop supporting the team over this. Which is hilarious as 1) the Canucks won't miss them and 2) The teams they say they'll cheer for instead are involved in LGBT outreach programs anyway.

Good riddance. You should never waste your time trying to please stupid people (as evidenced by them supporting other teams that also support Pride).

56 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Honestly, they probably say it every year. The self-important like to be heard (or like to think they're being heard).

But good for Etem. I've been sick since Thursday, but if I'm feeling better I'd like to head to Pride as I know many people who are gay/bi/trans/etc.

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Thanks 

Let me re-word that:

I've got a couple question. Do Italian/Greek/Indian/Irish/African/Japanese/Lumberjacks/etc. people have more rights than Canadian people?  Why do they need a parade/festival ?

Am I allowed to be proud that I am Canadian?  If I am proud to be Canadian does that mean I'm a bigot?

Thanks 

And yes, much like we had to overcome racism against Africans, Irish, Japanese, etc., we also have to overcome substandard treatment of people in the LGBT community. Sometimes that takes legislation to enforce what should be equal but isn't treated as such, and certainly it takes recognition that a problem exists to begin with. I'll be happier when the day comes that people don't treat each other differently because of their religion, colour of skin, orientation or anything else but until the issue deserves attention.

3 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Thanks 

There's always one,,

Since when were Straight people ever oppressed in society on a regular basis? This is where the reason for Pride comes from, its a way for gay people to show we are proud of who we are despite what people may say or think of them.

I don't see how that gives gay people more rights.

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

although the lgbt community in rupert isn't big enough to have a parade it is recognized and respected.  this foot bridge in our tourist waterfront area reflects it!

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 9.52.48 AM.png

Woah This is my city as well!!

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

This parade is poised to dominate the pacific for sure

LOL... so it isn't just me that thought that. Coulda gone either way but I think with some canucks involved, we'll definitely have a shot ;)  

Archived