The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

lynchpin to Canucks offence this season?

Ted Lasso

Which individual player can make the biggest impact to team offence with a strong performance this season?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It would cost Tanev plus Boeser to land Laneskog. Possibly sub Virtannen/Juolevi/Demko for Boeser. But if I am Sakic, Boeser is the guy I want from the Canucks in any Landeskog deal. 

Even add a draft pick. 

Disagree, since Landeskogs injury, his stock has fallen.  The fact that Colorado is even entertaining the idea shows they aren't happy with their lineup and defense is one of the issues.  From where I am sitting, Tanev and freshly signed Barrie would be a hell of a pairing.  It would cost more than Tanev, but I'm thinking it would be a lesser prospect like Guance or a pick, or worst case Virtanen.

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Which Canuck can make the biggest impact to our offence this year?

edit: first time creating a poll and it shows. 

Pretty obvious it should be Loui; 30 goal guy, $6 mill playing with the Sedins is a no-brainer. The question should be who outside of the first line (assumed) can make the biggest impact.

I think if Sutter gets 20+ goals as the 2nd centre it really opens it up for Bo to meet weaker opposition and ramp up his offense, maybe hitting 20 himself. That would be awesome!

Maybe I'm taking Loui for granted, but if he's playing on the top line (which right now it appears he will be) then we're all but guaranteed he'll produce. The Sedins elevate the game of everyone on their line- Eriksson should be no different. Plus, Loui already has a solid game of his own; I feel like our top line's success is a given, as it's been for years. 

I chose the 2LW just to represent scoring depth. We know the top line is strong, now it's time to spread the wealth. That'll be our game changer. 

The Sedin line will score (I'm assuming here that Eriksson will be on their line btw). That shouldn't be an issue. The most important thing is the secondary scoring, as it's been for many years now. They will live and die with the production of the other lines. That's what the season depends on and maybe that's why JB decided to roll in a 4th line that is mainly there to support scoring. Maybe that's the reason we don't have a physical presence on the 4th line aside from Dorsett, OR it could be that JB just shopped for too many bottom 6 depth guys and it's the way the team is built this year. Either way, lines 2 3 & 4 should help with the scoring woes this team had last year, which might just be enough to keep us in the playoff hunt. Is this really where we want to be? I'd say no, but that's a discussion that's been beaten to death.

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It would cost Tanev plus Boeser to land Laneskog. Possibly sub Virtannen/Juolevi/Demko for Boeser. But if I am Sakic, Boeser is the guy I want from the Canucks in any Landeskog deal. 

Even add a draft pick. 

I agree:

You don't trade a 2OA LW and team captain for nothing.  A hockey trade is a hockey trade.

to VAN: Landeskog

to COL: Tanev, Virtanen, 2017 2nd

Eriksson is the obvious choice here..The bigger question is who are looking to for secondary scoring..?..I would say Sven Baertschi,if he can build off of last season..13 out of 15 goals came in the 2nd half of last season...It seemed that Baertschi always seemed to get 2-3 'grade A' scoring chances every game..If he can stay healthy,20+ goals should not be a problem.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Hutton and Larsen

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'd be tempted to go with Hutton (or Larsen).  May not put up the most point, but in terms of being a catalyst...

Agreed. Standout seasons by either (or ideally both) Hutton or Larsen would have a massive impact on total team goals scored.

More creativity and mobility on D would be huge for this team and would positively impact overall scoring more than any single forward addition.

Having true puck rushing options from the back end, a more dynamic blue line during offensive possession, and some playmaking/quarterbacking from the point (and not just the halfboards) would make this team's offense (PP and 5v5) far more potent and difficult to defend.

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Even add a draft pick. 

There's no way that's the price. Defensemen will be and are at a premium.

Even given the factor of Tanev not being drafted and flying under the radar, he's the type of shut down RHD teams drool for. You're only lucky enough to draft these guys, trading for them as we've seen costs a lot. 

I could see a lesser prospect being included, Gaunce etc. Maybe even a 1st or 2nd. 

30 minutes ago, whytelight said:

I agree:

You don't trade a 2OA LW and team captain for nothing.  A hockey trade is a hockey trade.

to VAN: Landeskog

to COL: Tanev, Virtanen, 2017 2nd

How do you figure? 

Hall had more points last season than Landeskog

Tanev and Larrson, while different are both sought after. 

WIth a team that has Barrie on their back end, a solid 2way shut down guy like Tanev makes more sense. 

Tanev/ B level prospect/ + 2nd 

or Tanev+ 2017 1st. 

11 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

When I think lynchpin, I think of Henrik. Offensively, VAN could really use another Henrik..... 

Really hate putting the pressure on Horvat. It's not realistic to expect offence so soon. But his rate of development has been unreal so far. 

Horvat + Hansen is 2/3 of a legendary line IMO.  

I think Etem Horvat Hansen would/will kill it.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'd be tempted to go with Hutton (or Larsen).  May not put up the most point, but in terms of being a catalyst...

My thoughts are the same. I think the catalyst for more balanced scoring will come off defensive transition. Our improved defense will increase our O zone time and I'm hoping to more 20 goal scorers.

A better defense will feed our offense. Sure Ericksson will add more but I'm gauging the uplift of the top 3 lines feeding off better breakouts. It was frustrating last year when the puck would get endlessly cycled in our end.

And I think the pp will rebound with Bowie manning the 2nd unit.

The key wording here is "strong performance". Gotta be Jake.   We already know what to expect as mediocre performances from the others, and those haven't been that bad.   A mediocre performance out of Jake does not help this team.  This team will be much better with a "strong performance" from JV, especially if it's coming from the 2nd or 3rd line as that results in depth and scoring balance.  

for me its Virtanen, Baertschi and Horvat,

If Virt can pot 10-15 goals with around 25-30 pts with physical play it's gonna open up the ice for guys a lot more. And provide that rugged depth scoring we've been lacking for years, if Virt has a good year I think Baertschi and Horvat will have great years as teams will have to respect our depth.

Baertschi has all the tools for success and his grittiness really surprised me in the second half of the year, its no surprise 13 of his 15 goals came in 2016 as that as when he really went to the dirty areas in the corners, and behind the net.

There were a lot of games Sven could have scored 2-3 goals but missed his grade A chances, if he comes into camp carrying the momentum he ended the season with 20-25 g and 40pts should be no problem.

Horvat It will be interesting to see how he is deployed, if he is used in a shutdown role I expect another 40pt campaign, if he is used on a quick 2 way third line with line mates like Baertschi and Hansen I can see a 45-60 pt season for Horvat, he has the offensive tools it all comes down to linemates, PP time, and how WD wants to use him.

This being said I believe Hutton is a lot more important to the success of our offense than a lot of people realize.

Archived