The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dangerous dogs registry

Slegr

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Pretty crazy how they seem to single one person out and are just relentless.  Also you see how important it is to "be big" stand your ground and counter the aggression.

Yep, I've been told if one has its bite on you or a loved one (or animal) and isn't letting go, the best bet to have it release its jaws is to literally try to get your fingers around its eye and pull it out from its eye socket. Sounds gross, but worth knowing.

18 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Yep, I've been told if one has its bite on you or a loved one (or animal) and isn't letting go, the best bet to have it release its jaws is to literally try to get your fingers around its eye and pull it out from its eye socket. Sounds gross, but worth knowing.

I do like dogs. As you see in my above post I've done my best with dogs on the loose and I have two rescue dogs one of which I've had for ten years. I haven't been seriously attacked before. A boxer charged me once but was on a marble floor and could t get traction so it was easy to avoid.  One time I was with my family and my one dog and a loose Akita attacked my dog.  The owner was close behind. Luckily I just had to give it one good kick and it backed off and the owner grabbed it. Was pretty scary though. Had a baby in a stroller as well.

the last time was fairly serious. I was in a trail and two oncoming people had a large northern breed on a leash but one of those 30' retractables that are really only good for lap dogs. Anywa the trail was narrow. I was on a run and I saw the dog up ahead crouch down and I knew it was on. It went straight for my dogs throat. We rolled with the momentum of the lunge and I kinda grabbed it by the collar and scruff near the back legs as it lunged to slow it down. It still got my dog by the neck.  I kicked the $&!# out of that thing till I got about 15' of separation.

the owners actually got mad at me. What a joke.

10 years ago I was walking my lab miles and miles away up an old logging road. Some dude came driving up from quite a distance away ( obviously, one road in the middle of nowhere) and as he neared I noticed he had his dog running beside his truck while he just drove up beside me.

His dog noticed mine and took immediate offence to his presence. My lab is / was :( the most mild mannered dog ever, but the pitbull running beside his master (and I use the term loosely) lunged and bit him on the scruff of his neck and refused to let go and my dog got MAD. I'd never seen it before, but he couldn't get out of the pitbull's jaws.

I had some hard toed (not steel, but hard) hiking boots on that day, and as soon as I saw what was happening I swung free kicks right into the balls, ribs, and neck of that dog over and over and over again. I'm being honest when I say that I kicked that &^@#er 25 times before he let go. I'm being equally as honest when I say that to this day I don't blame the dog, I blame the idiot owner who had exactly NO idea how to train such an animal to be more behaved. I think the only reason the dog let go is because that jackass kept driving up the road and his dog felt left behind. 

If I'd had my bush/utility knife that day I'd have used it to defend my dog, NO questions asked. Don't blame the dog, blame the owner. Having said that, if your dog attacks anything of mine I'll kill it if I have to. How about we don't put either of us in that position yeah? Keep your dogs in check. It's not hard, it just requires alpha training, and discipline. It's insane that some of these people are actually raising families too.

17 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

I had a female Rottie for awhile...she never started any fights, but she sure ended a few. Damn tough dog, very lean and weighed in at 85lbs. My beagle always had backup. ;)

Growing up my family had a rotty/shepherd cross, 140 pounds of two "vicious" breeds. We used to ride him like a horse and have him pull us around on a sled. Don't think the dog had a mean bone in him despite being the most alpha dog I've ever come across. It blows my mind to think both of those breeds were once hotly contested and targets of the ban brigade.

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

Of course I'm initially cautious when I approach a loose dog.  Most of the thine they are freaked out and are hard to call over. But last time which was about a month a go this little Scotty dog was super friendly and came right over (I actually had to slam the brakes cos he ran right out) he had no tag or collar so all I could do was shoo him off the road. It's tough when that happens.  Always worried.

So is a dog looking to score. They usually stop about a block away and use some breath spray, then casually walk up and make small talk.

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

10 years ago I was walking my lab miles and miles away up an old logging road. Some dude came driving up from quite a distance away ( obviously, one road in the middle of nowhere) and as he neared I noticed he had his dog running beside his truck while he just drove up beside me.

His dog noticed mine and took immediate offence to his presence. My lab is / was :( the most mild mannered dog ever, but the pitbull running beside his master (and I use the term loosely) lunged and bit him on the scruff of his neck and refused to let go and my dog got MAD. I'd never seen it before, but he couldn't get out of the pitbull's jaws.

I had some hard toed (not steel, but hard) hiking boots on that day, and as soon as I saw what was happening I swung free kicks right into the balls, ribs, and neck of that dog over and over and over again. I'm being honest when I say that I kicked that &^@#er 25 times before he let go. I'm being equally as honest when I say that to this day I don't blame the dog, I blame the idiot owner who had exactly NO idea how to train such an animal to be more behaved. I think the only reason the dog let go is because that jackass kept driving up the road and his dog felt left behind. 

If I'd had my bush/utility knife that day I'd have used it to defend my dog, NO questions asked. Don't blame the dog, blame the owner. Having said that, if your dog attacks anything of mine I'll kill it if I have to. How about we don't put either of us in that position yeah? Keep your dogs in check. It's not hard, it just requires alpha training, and discipline. It's insane that some of these people are actually raising families too.

Easy, Green Building. We on the same team, yo!

4 hours ago, Slegr said:

Nah.....Ya grab is ahms , yeah see, and yah spread them apat, and that supposedly blows up it's haat.

We recently got our first puppy. I take her for walks every night after I get my kids to bed. I've never seen such a dramatic reaction, 90 percent of people we meet have to stop and pet her. Mind you I think golden retrievers have that ability to immediately disarm folks. Also she's only 13 weeks and very affectionate to everything, dogs, cats, people, tall grass, trees, ladybugs... You get the point (our walks take awhile and we don't get far lol)

Never owned a dog before so this is new to me, but we were on our walk and we met another guy with a pup. Mine got excited (pulled a bit on her leash) and the other owner moved immediately to the other side of the street, I was sort of shocked, then the owner said something that I respected and was shocked by: "If he latches on I can't get him off. He doesn't like other dogs much." 

As we continued our walk I was impressed with the owner being responsible, but at the same time... Why have a dog like that in a suburban neighborhood? Now I'm nervous if that dog ever gets loose. Ive got 3 kids 6 and under. I'll admit if that dog was my immediate neighbor I'd be on edge. 

Edit: proud puppy owner moment... Here is "Peaches."

image.jpeg

9 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

We recently got our first puppy. I take her for walks every night after I get my kids to bed. I've never seen such a dramatic reaction, 90 percent of people we meet have to stop and pet her. Mind you I think golden retrievers have that ability to immediately disarm folks. Also she's only 13 weeks and very affectionate to everything, dogs, cats, people, tall grass, trees, ladybugs... You get the point (our walks take awhile and we don't get far lol)

Never owned a dog before so this is new to me, but we were on our walk and we met another guy with a pup. Mine got excited (pulled a bit on her leash) and the other owner moved immediately to the other side of the street, I was sort of shocked, then the owner said something that I respected and was shocked by: "If he latches on I can't get him off. He doesn't like other dogs much." 

As we continued our walk I was impressed with the owner being responsible, but at the same time... Why have a dog like that in a suburban neighborhood? Now I'm nervous if that dog ever gets loose. Ive got 3 kids 6 and under. I'll admit if that dog was my immediate neighbor I'd be on edge. 

image.jpeg

I know this doesn't solve the problem if the dog were to get out of the yard but this guy should just muzzle the dog for walks.  Some people do this.  It makes sense.  We used to have a small dog that became cranky with age and even though the bite wouldn't be too bad we just muzzled him anyway for walks in public areas.

Enjoy your life with Peaches.

7 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I know this doesn't solve the problem if the dog were to get out of the yard but this guy should just muzzle the dog for walks.  Some people do this.  It makes sense.  We used to have a small dog that became cranky with age and even though the bite wouldn't be too bad we just muzzled him anyway for walks in public areas.

Enjoy your life with Peaches.

That's a great idea. 

12 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Seriously posting pics from a website called goodpitbulls.com?  Might as well just go to a NRA or pro gun website 'notallgunsarebadmmmmk.com' and post pics of celebrities with guns and try and validate their purpose as well.  I really don't care what celebrities think or do, their opinions don't influence my point of view.  I think pitbulls are dangerous and totally unnecessary breed that should be banned.  And I am tired of the people that neglect them to the point where shelters are filled with them all over North America and beyond.  Good on Jon Stewart for taking in an animal from a shelter but if that breed was banned shelters wouldn't be inundated with neglected and unwanted pitbulls.  FFS you can have deer, raccoons, wolves and bears eat out of your hand that doesn't mean you can control them.  I've seen first hand a pitbull kill a dog and is something unfortunately I will never forget. 

1 hour ago, BabychStache said:

image.jpeg

One thing I've noticed is on a leash if another dog is sketchy, my old girl well tense right up and get really protective, especially if my children are around. But if she's out in the yard with me doing work and someone or a dog passes by she'll go check them out but doesn't have that same body language.

But I always take the safe route as I know no matter what if something goes down, my dog would be the one in $&!#. The other dog could chew off my Pit's tail first and if she defended herself, she'd just be "another killer pit-bull".

I like my dogs and don't want to have to put them down because there's about 10-20% of society deathly afraid of them. So I do the responsible thing as this guy did and any respectable dog owner should. 

27 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Seriously posting pics from a website called goodpitbulls.com?  Might as well just go to a NRA or pro gun website 'notallgunsarebadmmmmk.com' and post pics of celebrities with guns and try and validate their purpose as well.  I really don't care what celebrities think or do, their opinions don't influence my point of view.  I think pitbulls are dangerous and totally unnecessary breed that should be banned.  And I am tired of the people that neglect them to the point where shelters are filled with them all over North America and beyond.  Good on Jon Stewart for taking in an animal from a shelter but if that breed was banned shelters wouldn't be inundated with neglected and unwanted pitbulls.  FFS you can have deer, raccoons, wolves and bears eat out of your hand that doesn't mean you can control them.  I've seen first hand a pitbull kill a dog and is something unfortunately I will never forget. 

That's odd every pitbull i have encountered has had a very good disposition, must be the responsible owners tho. On the other hand every guard dog that has been trained to guard property has been an absolute prick, Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shepards being at the top of the list.. add Blue Heelers into that list as well.

36 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I don't understand why people defend a man made artificial breed like a pit bull. If a government wants to ban a species created by man then I don't see a problem. Sure other dogs bite, but not like a Pitbull. 

All dogs are descendants of the wolf and all have been bred by man. From the Chihuahua to the Irish Wolfhound.

Archived