The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Prospects Radio with Shane Malloy

Ossi Vaananen

So apparently this interview went down last Friday (Sept. 30), after the game - 10 pm to midnight. I didn't catch it, and I've only managed to find about 25 minutes of the interview, as opposed to the full 2 hours (ads in there I'm sure). Anyway, here's the link - JB starts at 25 minutes: 

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/hockey-prospects-radio-sept-30-hour-2-1.578481

Notes:

- On Juolevi - elite hockey sense, potential 1D. Makes right play, good anticipation. Won't rush him. Underrated slapshot, first pass. Never seen a 17 y/o D that good in World Juniors. Things you can't teach.

- On Lockwood - versatile, energy player. Likes speed, intensity. Keep improving at U of M, skill underrated. Shot, speed through neutral zone. Not afraid to go to net. See more this year.

- On Boeser - excellent season. Took game to 'next level'. Goes to net, excellent shot, most impressed by playmaking. Exciting player, believes he will be top 6 scorer. Lucky to land him, ranked higher. Uses give and go, separation for line-mates.  

- On Brisebois - stabilizing force defensively. Likes hockey sense, 2 way game, mobility is best asset. Well rounded, steady. Poise, solid wrist-shot. Captain in the Q. Get physically stronger, has tools now. Could be top 4 in the NHL. Awareness, lets play come to him. Have to be patient, let him get stronger.

- On Demko - remarkable year last year, had to turn pro - nothing left in college. Potential 1G, mature beyond years, confidence. Be careful, let him develop. Competitiveness stood out, wants to win. Melanson working with him. Hip surgery only thing that dropped him in draft year. Better after surgery. 

- On Zhukenov - playmaker. Hockey IQ high, anticipation strong. Competitive, grown an inch. Needs to work on skating. Sneaky drop pass, good on the back check. Like his overall skillset, chance to become 'player'.

Nice find @Ossi Vaananen 

Wow, that's interesting to hear that Benning believes Juolevi has the potential to be a #1D, as opposed to the top pairing/#2D that our fanbase and most other fanbases think his ceiling is. I didn't catch yesterday's preseason game against the Sharks but apparently everyone on TSN1040 is raving about Juolevi with his decision making, positioning, and his simple, effective, efficient passes.

Hopefully Juolevi can have an excellent development year in Junior similar to Boeser's and Demko's development years in the NCAA

2 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Glad JB touched up on Zhuk. Interesting to hear he grew an inch too - must be 6'0 now.

Excited to see what he does this year. So much intrigue. 

I think zuk is going to impress next camp :D look forward too see his dynamic ability and that wicked speed.

Pavel Datsyuk lite baby!! :D 

Shane Malloy is always a great interview on tsn 1040. nice to see tsn pickup the prospect radio show.  If I recall right though I believe he said he thought McLeod would go around top 5. thought he would be a good pick for us.  Maybe im mistaken maybe it was someone else though since he said he thought juolevi was the best d.

I honestly have no idea what Juolevi's ceiling is.  He has obvious tools, and what I've seen from him so far that I haven't liked is probably due to lack of NHL experience.  It is far too early IMO to claim he is a 1st pairing defenseman, but he certainly has the potential. 

Besides having obvious skill, I think many people underrate the importance of intelligence in this game.   It is so much faster now, you have to be able to make amazing plays quickly and crisply as soon as the puck gets to you.  Ideally, you've already planned your move BEFORE the puck gets to you.  For players like Juolevi and Stecher, this seems to come naturally.  Add to that players less cerebral like Tryamkin, Brisebois/Subban (both who absolutely do need to get stronger), possibly Pedan, and we actually have some real solid prospects on our blueline.  Finally.  Combine that with the fact we already have a fairly solid d core now, and I'd say Benning's work on the back end is complete.

...now to get the top six to replace the Sedins.  We simply don't have the depth like we do on D, whereby we can afford for some of our prospects not to hit.  If Boeser, Baertschi, Horvat, and Virtanen all hit, then we should be reasonably ok - even if we lack superstar power in the lineup.  I believe Gaunce will be good, but I don't believe he necessarily has top six potential, and Cassels needs to show what he can do after his injury.  Rodin is still a big question mark for me, but I've seen flashes I really like from him in the preseason.  Still, I think he is a poor-man's 2nd liner at best.  The cupboards aren't exactly well stocked if our young guys don't progress as hoped. 

3 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Nice find @Ossi Vaananen 

Wow, that's interesting to hear that Benning believes Juolevi has the potential to be a #1D, as opposed to the top pairing/#2D that our fanbase and most other fanbases think his ceiling is. I didn't catch yesterday's preseason game against the Sharks but apparently everyone on TSN1040 is raving about Juolevi with his decision making, positioning, and his simple, effective, efficient passes.

Hopefully Juolevi can have an excellent development year in Junior similar to Boeser's and Demko's development years in the NCAA

Frankly I get the feeling that this fan base is quite harsh when it comes to assessing certain guys (e.g. Twins no better than 2nd pair guys, Olli as #2 D), when prognosticators say that he's been a winner (won O.H.L. championship, Memorial Cup and World Juniors in the same year) and the phrase "#1 defenseman" has come up on more than one occasion.  Definitely hope he can live up to that billing so this team can have a legit #1 D-man for years to come.  Draft a #1 center and this team could be good to go!    

5 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Frankly I get the feeling that this fan base is quite harsh when it comes to assessing certain guys (e.g. Twins no better than 2nd pair guys, Olli as #2 D), when prognosticators say that he's been a winner (won O.H.L. championship, Memorial Cup and World Juniors in the same year) and the phrase "#1 defenseman" has come up on more than one occasion.  Definitely hope he can live up to that billing so this team can have a legit #1 D-man for years to come.  Draft a #1 center and this team could be good to go!    

Is there a projected number one centre in the coming drafts?  

9 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Nice find @Ossi Vaananen 

If Benning was willing to pick Juolevi at #5 ahead of some of the other guys that were available, there should never really be any doubt that he believes that Olli could be a #1D.  Clearly he was very high on him to pick him at that spot.

Whether or not he can become that remains a question, but he's looked good so far.

We were all hyped into the tkachuk / Dubois at 4/5 for the longest time, so our clueless brains believed it should have been those 2 players, but in reality juolevi is the highest ranked dman and at the end of the day, I rather have a Marc Andre vlasic type of dman over a Scott hartnell type of foward.  There were glimpse of greatness from this kid from the 2 games he's played on top of the 2 prospects tournament game.  It's kinda like defencemen Ryan suter. He doesn't wow at all, but he's one of the best in the business, and juolevi simple yet effective kinda reminded me of that type of player.  Juolevi , calm , poised high percentage plays dman,a safe player not to mention an outstanding end to end dman.

I recall all a year ago, we were let's tank for the best dman in this draft, I think we got our wish boys, we have to trust benning with his judgement.  Sure it was Jacob chycrun, but I am stocked with juolevi.  Moving foward I think our core will kinda be like New Jersey devils core when they were built through Scott neidermayer and Martin brodeaur as their key players. In the future it will be juolevi/ demko for Vancouver.

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is there a projected number one centre in the coming drafts?  

Nolan Patrick. Big right-handed centre. 56 points in 55 games played as a 16 year old in the WHL. 102 points in 72 games played as a 17 year old. Currently captain of the Brandon Wheat Kings. 

Archived