The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

23 man roster...who needs to be protected ?

nickels

Followed by....  another few gems 

2008 Draft[edit]

2009 Draft[edit]

Rd # Pick # Player Nat Pos Team (League) Reg GP Pl GP Notes
1 22 Jordan Schroeder United States C University of Minnesota (WCHA) 56 0  
2 53 Anton Rodin Sweden W Brynäs IF (J20 SuperElit) 0 0  
3 83 Kevin Connauton Canada D Western Michigan (CCHA) 0 0  
4 113 Jeremy Price Canada D Nepean Raiders (CJHL) 0 0  
5 143 Peter Andersson Sweden D Frölunda HC (J20 SuperElit) 0 0  
6 173 Joe Cannata United States G Merrimack College (H-East) 0 0  
7 187 Steven Anthony Canada LW Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) 0 0  

2010 Draft[edit]

4 115 Patrick McNally 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States D Milton Academy (ISL) 0 0  
5 145 Adam Polasek 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic D P.E.I. Rocket (QMJHL) 0 0  
6 172 Alex Friesen 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada C Niagara IceDogs (OHL) 1 0  
6 175 Jonathan Iilahti 23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png Finland G Espoo Blues (SM-liiga) 0 0  
7 205 Sawyer Hannay 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada
1 10 Cody Hodgson Canada C Brampton Battalion (OHL) 71 12  
2 41 Yann Sauve Canada D Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) 8 0  
5 131 Prab Rai Canada C Seattle Thunderbirds 0 0  
6 161 Mats Froshaug Norway C Linköpings Jr. (Sweden) 0 0  
7 191 Morgan Clark Canada G Red Deer Rebels (WHL) 0 0

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Don't want to be pessimistic but kinda sad what happened to our presidents trophy club .     Missing 2011  - wow how did we blow the transition.....

What a run we had though....  I  guess we have to hit rock bottom before we can start to climb back up.. Its always darkest before the dawn  and all that crap...

Part of a poem by   by George Krokos    -  The sinking ship....... 

The old boat is going down as it has had its day
and all that we know and love is passing away.
It seems strange and sad how this has come about
but the evidence is clear without a shadow of doubt.

For those who have been prepared the way is certain
but for those who are not there's an invisible curtain
between them and that to where they could be going
as the paths to that destination are not at all showing.

There's been too many changes in a world gone mad
and so many of them have only turned out to be bad.

Not all doom and gloom, but boy, did we have the ultimate group of guys that could have been rolled over into a rebuild.

After the series loss to the Kings in 2012, we could have gotten 1st/2nd rounders for a lot of that core that would all be around Horvats age.

Bieksa, Hamhuis, Kesler, Edler, Luongo, Salo, even Burrows(twins?)...the list goes on.

Make a list of what we ultimately received for that crew...ain't pretty.

Just now, nickels said:

Not all doom and gloom, but boy, did we have the ultimate group of guys that could have been rolled over into a rebuild.

After the series loss to the Kings in 2012, we could have gotten 1st/2nd rounders for a lot of that core that would all be around Horvats age.

Bieksa, Hamhuis, Kesler, Edler, Luongo, Salo, even Burrows(twins?)...the list goes on.

Make a list of what we ultimately received for that crew.

Take that concept of a proper rebuild up with our current owner. :(

1 minute ago, nickels said:

Make a list of what we ultimately received for that crew.

Yup, Canucks pretty much demonstrated how not to rebuild a club....    then combined that with unbelievably bad drafting....  Pretty much destroyed our club and left our cupboards completely bare .

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Yup, Canucks pretty much demonstrated how not to rebuild a club....    then combined that with unbelievably bad drafting....  Pretty much destroyed our club and left our cupboards completely bare .

Absolutely, I'm not inherently opposed to selling the farm to win a cup (ie the Penguins and Hawks have both done it).....but when that window closes you have to recognize it and trade off any attractive assets.

It will be really interesting how the Hawks and Penguins handle this in a few years.  Bet they do just fine.

5 minutes ago, nickels said:

Please show where I have berated anybody's opinions....

" Respect your opinion....but, I would take Kadri over Sutter in a heartbeat. ".....here ?

"hahaha Sutter not claimed. Thats some serious under appreciation and stupidity on your part "....here ?     (oh wait that wasn't my post)

BTW....Sbisa, Sutter and Dorsett do have terrible contracts and for this reason would not be claimed. That was kind of the point of the post.

Then your thread title should have reflected that.  This thread isn't about who should be protected.  It's about who has good or bad contracts and an excuse to rant about Sutter, Dorsett, and Sbisa which is a story that we've heard before...many times.

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Then your thread title should have reflected that.  This thread isn't about who should be protected.  It's about who has good or bad contracts and an excuse to rant about Sutter, Dorsett, and Sbisa which is a story that we've heard before...many times.

Don't mean to respond to everyone...but that wasn't my intention at all. This post was to show who needs to be protected (IMO).  The responses have taken it another direction, and I've tried to offer a contrary perspective.

If you(or anyone) would have said that "it's rediculous the Sedins wouldn't be claimed"...it would have gone in that direction.  But posters jumped on Sutter.

I don't get this thread. Are we talking about who is waiver eligible? Who would need to be protected in the expansion draft? Or just who would get picked up if we decided to randomly make them available to all 29 other teams in the NHL for 'future considerations'?

46 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You want to know when things started to go terrible wrong...

Look  at this ....   So sad.....

Draft picks[edit]

Vancouver's picks at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft in ColumbusOhio.[1]

Round # Player Nationality College/Junior/Club Team (League)
1 25 Patrick White (C) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Tri-City Storm (USHL)
2 33 Taylor Ellington (D) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Everett Silvertips (WHL)
5 145 Charles-Antoine Messier (C) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Baie-Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL)
5 146 Ilya Kablukov (LW) 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia CKSA Moscow (RSL)
6 176 Taylor Matson (C) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Des Moines Buccaneers (USHL)
7 206 Dan Gendur (RW) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Everett Silvertips (WHL)

The tough part about this one is the Canucks could have had all of the following as they were all still on the board for each of their selections

D Perron

PK Subban

D Maroon

C Hagelin

C Gunnarson

N Bonino

I know its just hindsight and the draft is harder to pick than a broken nose but just one player that played in the NHL would have been nice

I don't know how any of you can with a straight face say that Sutter has a reasonable contract.

NMC + 5 yrs + 4.4m

That's awful for a guy who basically a glorified bottom 6er. You cannot begin to justify that contract. Never give a bottom 6 player a term or a NMC or above 4.4 mil.

I urge you guys to look at other teams and see what other teams are paying their bottom 6 guys. http://www.generalfanager.com/

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's okay, but it's the concept that's important.  There would be teams who claim Sutter, and then trade their current guy for assets. If Kadri returned a first, then it would be like trading him for Sutter and a first.  (Only using Kadri for example purposes). 

I thought this was about the Expansion Draft. Vegas have no players so they don't have a "current guy"

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft: 

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

B) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and B) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and B) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

Regulations Relating to Expansion Franchise
* The Las Vegas franchise must select one player from each presently existing club for a total of 30 players (not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules).

* The Las Vegas franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap.

* The Las Vegas franchise may not buy out any of the players selected in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

The 30 NHL Clubs must submit their Protection List by 5:00 P.M. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017. The Las Vegas team must submit their Expansion Draft Selections by 5:00 P.M. ET on June 20 and the announcement of their selections will be released on made on June 21. 

6 hours ago, nickels said:

Don't mean to respond to everyone...but that wasn't my intention at all. This post was to show who needs to be protected (IMO).  The responses have taken it another direction, and I've tried to offer a contrary perspective.

If you(or anyone) would have said that "it's rediculous the Sedins wouldn't be claimed"...it would have gone in that direction.  But posters jumped on Sutter.

But the discussion presupposes that we don't want those players on the team.

Waiving means we wave bye-bye.

Or are you inferring we could potentially sneak guys like Sutter (or the Sedins!) down to Utica until injuries open up a spot for them?

8 hours ago, nickels said:

What team(s) do u feel would want Sutter at 4.5m for 5 years ?

That's a lot of $$/term for a 3rd line C

Entering his 9th season, he has 1 20g yr (played w/Crosby and Malkin on PP for part)

How many other 9 yr vets w/1 20g year are making that kind of $$

CHI - Artem Anisimov - 4.55 for five years, 1 more 20 goals season than Sutter, only because he played with Kane and Panarin.  Sutter did it with crappy wingers.

WSH - Marcus Johansson 4.58 for 3 years, 1 - 20 goals season.

WSH - Lars Eller 3.5 for 2 years, zero 20 goals season.

STL - Patrick Berglund  3.7M for 1 year (due for a raise), 2 - 20 seasons

CBS - Brandon Dubinsky - 5.850M for 5 years, 2 - 20 goals season

BOS - David Krecji, 7.25M for 5 years, 2 - 20 goals season

MTL - Tomas Plekanec 6M for 2 years, 7 - 20 goals season

ANA - Ryan Kesler 6.9M for 6 years, 8 - 20 goals season

Brandon Sutter's 4.5M contract is right on par with comparable 3rd liner that can play top 6 role when called upon.  If you want to pay for a 2C you need to pay north of 6M like the last four guys. 

People got to realize that the cap is increasing.  This is not 2011, back then we signed Malhotra for 2.5M....when the cap was 59M....its almost 2017 and the cap is 73M and great 3rd liner cost north of 4M$.

9 hours ago, nickels said:

What team(s) do u feel would want Sutter at 4.5m for 5 years ?

That's a lot of $$/term for a 3rd line C

Entering his 9th season, he has 1 20g yr (played w/Crosby and Malkin on PP for part)

How many other 9 yr vets w/1 20g year are making that kind of $$

Also get your facts straight.  Sutter had 3 PPG that season and played an average of 1:31 min of powerplay time/game, while Crosby and Malkin were north of 3 minutes.

Sutter scoop up the last 30sec. of powerplay time, after Malkin and Crosby couldn't score for a minute and a half.  Not exactly the premium powerplay time.

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Teams would claim Sutter, and trade their guy currently in that spot for more assets.  For example, the Leafs would claim Sutter and then trade Kadri for picks.  Sbisa would be claimed too, and the same scenario would happen.  

It doesn't work like that. The team that would be taking Sutter isn't to replace someone it would be them taking him as thats all they have. The Vegas team will have no one playing 3C and there will be better options out there then Sutter at his price to fill that spot.

1 hour ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

It doesn't work like that. The team that would be taking Sutter isn't to replace someone it would be them taking him as thats all they have. The Vegas team will have no one playing 3C and there will be better options out there then Sutter at his price to fill that spot.

Sutter, of exposed to expansion, would certainly be claimed by the Vegas Desert Dogs. 

14 hours ago, nickels said:

I hope this post isn't deleted as being redundant of others.

I would like to hear peoples opinions of who we actually need to protect in order not to risk losing them to another team.

I see Burrows, Sutter, Dorsett  and many others on peoples projected 23 man roster to open the season...when in fact, there isn't a chance in hell that any of these players would be claimed if placed on waivers.

I'll make a quick list, and would be very interested in others opinions..... remember, this is not only based on the players ability, but their value with current contract/salary

GUYS FEEL WOULD BE CLAIMED BY EVERY TEAM

Bo Horvat ...............

Chris Tanev.............

Alex Edler...............

Ben Hutton.............

Janik Hansen.......... 2.5m very attractive                                                   

Anton rodin.........prob most would be interested at that $$

Gudbranson.......100 percent w/only 1 yr left on reasonable contract

Pedan.................Likely claimed

GUYS WHO MAY BE CLAIMED BY SOME

Trymakin................would be claimed w/that contract

Gaunce...............attractive player

Baertschi..............prob over 1/2 at  1 m

Markstrom...............prob most

Sedins....................TBH, not sure how many take on 7mil/yr x 2 (generously 50/50)

Eriksson................not many (we were the only team on record willing to give him 6yrs @ 6m)

Granlund................prob is better than some teams 12-13 fwd

Larsen....................maybe

GUYS I FEEL VERY DOUBTFUL WOULD BE CLAIMED

Miller...doubt @ 6m(only 1 yr left helps him)

Biega

Sbisa @ 3.5 for multiple yrs

GUYS I FEEL NO ONE WOULD CLAIM

Burrows..........not a chance

Dorsett...........not a chance

Sutter @ 4.5 ...no way (i know this will upset people)

Trymakin would be claimed on size and potential alone. It's a 0 loss situation.

Guance would claimed by most teams.

Baertschi would DEFINITELY be claimed. He's a Top 9 young winger.

Markstrom would absolutely be claimed as a G who showed he we starter caliber in the NHL last year and finally started living up to his potential.

Sedins - Who wouldn't claim them if they could afford them?

Errikson - Top 6 LW. Claimed no question

Grandlund - Would get claimed for a kick in the tires as a 4th liner. Has looked good in pre-season.

Larsen - Idk, may be, may be not.

Miller - Easily claimed by a team with a question at backup or starter.

Sbisa - Would be claimed by a team that needs a 2nd or 3rd pairing.

Dorsett - He would be claimed a 4th liner.

Burrows - Probably would be claimed to play the 4th liner role.

Sutter - Would DEFINITELY be claimed.

All of your assumptions basically center around the fact that no team in the NHL has the cap room to claim these guys. Believe me, some team out there is willing to take the risk for a starter.

Archived