The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To All the Fans Crying For Luca Sbisa to be Traded Right Now

dank.sinatra

10 minutes ago, hearditall said:

3.6 Million cap hit is worse than a no trade clause...

25 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, while he's certainly not a steal on that contract he's also not really outside the range the market has determined for #4/5 defensemen. He's maybe a few 100K above the mean AAV for this type of player. 

At this point in time, Sbisa's deal doesn't really bother me.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Sbisa was given that contract to play in the top 4. At the time of his deal we had no depth on D & that's what JB thought.

A year passes and our D has all of a sudden changed dramatically with the emergence of Hutton, Tryamkin, Stetcher & trading for big Gubranson.

That now puts Sbisa at best as a 5-6 guy & maybe 6-8 guy at 3.6 mill + years remaining?

When teams could've picked up Hamhuis for nothing at 3.5 mill? 

Sbisa will be hard to move if his #'s stay the same as the past few years. 

2 minutes ago, hearditall said:

Sbisa was given that contract to play in the top 4. At the time of his deal we had no depth on D & that's what JB thought.

A year passes and our D has all of a sudden changed dramatically with the emergence of Hutton, Tryamkin, Stetcher & trading for big Gubranson.

That now puts Sbisa at best as a 5-6 guy & maybe 6-8 guy at 3.6 mill + years remaining?

When teams could've picked up Hamhuis for nothing at 3.5 mill? 

Sbisa will be hard to move if his #'s stay the same as the past few years. 

He's a #5 who can fill in at #4 with injuries etc and has improved every year he's been here. That costs $3m+ any way you slice it unless you have a guy on an ELC/bargain bridge deal.

If you want to fret over maybe a few hundred k of 'over payment', fill your boots but I think it's a silly waste of time.

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He's a #5 who can fill in at #4 with injuries etc and has improved every year he's been here. That costs $3m+ any way you slice it unless you have a guy on an ELC/bargain bridge deal.

If you want to fret over maybe a few hundred k of 'over payment', fill your boots but I think it's a silly waste of time.

Great points! There's no doubt we'll see him slide into the #4 spot temporarily when an injury occurs. Totally fine with that because he has improved. He's just into his prime so I'm willing to bet we'll see a much better Sbisa this year. The fact that he spent time in the World Cup likely boosted his confidence as well.

The overpayment debate, sure, I get it but we should be past that by now. People tend to forget that the guy was a former first rounder and 24 when we got him, so there was some inflated value from a future potential standpoint.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I only stated some facts here:

- Sbisa will not be easy to trade with his 3.6 mill contract & his value isn't high at all right now. Maybe a 3rd round pick if we're lucky?

- With our depth now & type of players we have, Sbisa is a 5-8 guy now on this team when all are healthy.

- If Stetcher makes this team this year, (which is realistic) then we are going to lose Pedan to waivers which we should not do.

- Pedan, Tryamkin, Stecher & Biega can fill in & do what Sbisa can do.

- Not saying Sbisa can't help a team or even ours, just saying we have other suitable cheaper options NOW at 5/6 spots...

Burrows in a similiar position...

6 minutes ago, hearditall said:

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1897

You mean if we trade him.? 

He's at 3.6 mill this year & 4.0 mill next year (2017/18) with a 1.0 miil bonus. A little more than a rental...

Cap hit is the same. There is the option of retaining salary when trading. With some big salaries coming off the books at the end of the year retaining some of Sbisa's wouldn't be an issue.

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Great points! There's no doubt we'll see him slide into the #4 spot temporarily when an injury occurs. Totally fine with that because he has improved. He's just into his prime so I'm willing to bet we'll see a much better Sbisa this year. The fact that he spent time in the World Cup likely boosted his confidence as well.

The overpayment debate, sure, I get it but we should be past that by now. People tend to forget that the guy was a former first rounder and 24 when we got him, so there was some inflated value from a future potential standpoint.

His confidence in using his ass to warm a bench spot is sky high for sure after the World Cup of Bettm....I mean Hockey.

Maybe Sbisa's draft position factored into Benning's reasoning for giving Sbisa the payday (he didn't deserve) that he gave him. If that is the case though, that's some crazy #*!&.

On 10/5/2016 at 3:10 PM, ashbury said:

This is why you'd make terrible general managers...

Luca Sbisa currently doesn't have a high trade value, especially at this time of year. Currently, every team is trying to trim their roster. Teams are looking to drop bottom pairing defencemen, not add them. At the moment, Sbisa may fetch a 3rd to 5th round draft pick, if anything.

Vancouver has been gifted with a denfenceman who is bursting with potential and currently looks ready to play in the NHL in Troy Stetcher. However, Stetcher does not have to clear waivers and could perhaps even improve on what he has already shown in the preseason by spending time in Utica.

Vancouver also has another two young defencemen who need to be eased into full-time NHL roles in Tryamkin and Pedan. Keeping Sbisa allows this gradual integration to happen.

At the trade-deadline Luca Sbisa's value will sky-rocket, potentially greatly if he has a half decent season, which he does actually seem poised to do. GMs wet themselves for d-men of Sbisa's breed at the deadline. This is when Sbisa should be moved. Moving him now would be terrible asset management and put an awful lot of pressure on players who may not be ready despite showing great potential. After the deadline Vancouver will have gained an asset much greater than the actual value of Sbisa in the trade and can then allow the young d-men to take a larger role at a time when they are much more prepared. This will limit the inevitable mistakes made by rookie defencemen, making the team better in the present and building our young players confidence to make the team better in the future. While moving Sbisa at the deadline will surely help the team in the future.

It's called foresight, many of you seem to lack it.

Uh, yeah. We know Sbisa has no trade value. The sane members of this community have been adamant about that for months and months, much to the chagrined delusion of the select few Canuckleheads who are most certaIn Sbisa will fetch a top-tier talent or top 50 draft pick. 

Sbisa's value is flat-lined and will never sky-rocket. The only way GMs begin salivating at the thought of acquiring his body (which is all he is) is if he experiences a Freaky Friday-like scenario with Chris Tanev and the two of them exchange skillsets. 

As for your opinion: Nobody is listening. Nobody cares. 

19 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I really don't understand why everyone hates on Sbisa and his contract. Here are the guys making approximately the same amount as Sbisa and I really don't see them as being an upgrade on Luca.

1. Braydon Coburn - $3,700,000

2. Mark Fayne - $3,625,000

3. Luca Sbisa - $3,600,000

4. Ladislav Smid - $3,500,000

5. Erik Gudbranson - $3,500,000

6. Rob Scuderi - $3,375,000

There actually might be one player there that I would take over Luca. :rolleyes:

Gudbranson better be a major upgrade on Sbisa or Benning should be fired!

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

His confidence in using his ass to warm a bench spot is sky high for sure after the World Cup of Bettm....I mean Hockey.

Maybe Sbisa's draft position factored into Benning's reasoning for giving Sbisa the payday (he didn't deserve) that he gave him. If that is the case though, that's some crazy #*!&.

Going into the World Cup, Krueger said ahead of time it was a numbers game, one Dman and one forward would be on the bench. Sbisa was selected more as a special teams role player. 

There are more ways than one to look at the overpayment issue and certain factors that may have played a part. I can totally see why Benning made the deal at that time, also given the dynamics of that time and the changes that needed to happen.

Me, personally, I think the urgency of change that Benning needed to make at that time took precedent. It was the cost of adding a more physical presence to the blueline immediately, one that was also a former first rounder who hadn't hit his ceiling. 

With the additions we've made on D this season, I'm thinking we'll see a better Sbisa than what we've seen. 

Archived